SASS Wire Forum

Amateur radio verses cb radio

Trigger Mike

A CB is designed to operate on 40 specific "channels" at a maximum of 5 watts. No license required.

Amateur radio operates on frequencies within bands designated by the International Telecommunication Union region (ITU):

2-meter = a portion of the VHF radio spectrum, comprising frequencies stretching from 144 MHz to 148 MHz

70-cm = UHF, 430 to 440 MHz

10-meter = HF, 28.000–29.700 MHz

20-meter = HF, 14.000–14.350 MHz

There are more.  The frequencies one can transmit on and the power level that can be used is determined by the operator's license.

3 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

So the amateur radio operators need a license since they can transmit a greater distance?  

No - it's because of the frequencies that can be transmitted on.

Output power does also play a role in licensing requirements/restrictions, but it is common for operator's to communicate extremely long distances with 5 watts or less power.  To do so, the operator has to know when atmospheric conditions are suitable and having a properly set up antenna.

Antennas can do more for long distance communications than power output.

Gotta get you a base, out there to your place

With a forty-foot pole on the chimney

With a thousand watts in your flower pots

And a remote line to the biffy

If you feel a twitch when you throw the switch

Gonna dim all the lights in Wichita

Gonna send out a wave to make the government rave

And this here's whacha tell 'em all

"Four good buddy, yer comin' in cruddy

But yer walkin' right through my wall, boy

Your carrier's cool, yer makin' me drool

Yer definitely battin' my ball, boy

Yer hittin' me round about fourteen pound

Yer cuttin' me up like a bandsaw

But what the heck, 'sjust a radio check"

And that there's how to ratchetjaw

Courtesy of CW McCall

"Back in the day" we were required to have a license for CB also...  KQB4927  :rolleyes:

Somewhere out in the garage is a 23-channel Midland with that license number pasted on the top.  That was the third radio I had while licenses were required; the first one was a Royce 3-channel with crystals.  

I received my CB for Christmas. 78 I think. It was a 40 channel. The paperwork that came with it said there was so many applications for licenses, then it was taking so long to get one, so they gave us a temporary one. K, your first initial, your last initial, and your ZIP code. KRA 32401

Then about 3 or 4 months later my license actually showed up. And now they were four letters, not just three. KBLP7350.

Then about 6 months later they decided that licenses would no longer be needed for CB.

Why can I remember the license number for my CB, from 40 years ago, and I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday?

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

"Back in the day" we were required to have a license for CB also...  KQB4927  :rolleyes:

Somewhere out in the garage is a 23-channel Midland with that license number pasted on the top.  That was the third radio I had while licenses were required; the first one was a Royce 3-channel with crystals.  

KBZ1137

Cb is am radio. Hams change frequency so it's fm radio. 

There's more math and theory in amateur operation.

I have my grandpa's ham station identifier and first microphone. He spent a lot of time on 20 meters. Had contact cards from every country broadcasting.

When I looked to get a ham license you still needed to learn Morse and get a key license first. Then after a bit you could get a voice rating. 

40 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

I have my grandpa's ham station identifier and first microphone. He spent a lot of time on 20 meters. Had contact cards from every country broadcasting.

When I looked to get a ham license you still needed to learn Morse and get a key license first. Then after a bit you could get a voice rating. 

There's now a no code lic

OLG 

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

As OLG said above, no requirements to learn code for the Technician or General licenses. 

$15 to test. License is good for 10 years.

original CB license was KDM8531

Licensed as KC7CEX. Started out as Technician Plus. Then a few years later took the General, Advanced and Extra licenses all the same day. General was the toughest as it was mostly regulations. Advanced and Extra were a piece of cake as I work in the electronics field.

Also have my GROL with the radar endorsement.

KGQ2113

Like Hardpan, got one in a drawer out in the shop somewhere and a magnetic based antenna for the roof of my truck.

Archived