SASS Wire Forum

Totally off the wall WTC

this  question came about while taking to a Ruger Old Army shooter.  He mentioned his guns have springs that have weaken

BTW it did NOT happen in real life

ROA shooter comes to line, draws first pistol, cocks and shoots--not happens, no pop or anything else

he calmly reaches his belt and pulls out a small hammer and proceeds to hit the back of the ROA's hammer with it.  This causes the cap to fire and the bullet heads on its merry way to the target

thoughts?

Yes, I know we're in the land of make-believe with this

17 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Don't shoot me...but....

Would this be any different from those 'slammin' their butt stocks on long guns?

I'm not understanding what you're referring to.

41 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

I'm not understanding what you're referring to.

Some double barreled shotguns with one trigger, such as unmodified SKBs, switch from the first barrel to the second using a pendulum-like inertial connector that depends on recoil.  Very light low recoil shotshells may not provide enough recoil to make the inertial connector do its job.  When that happens some competitors “spank” the end of the buttstock to simulate recoil.  Sometimes it works.

I think that’s what she is referring to;  but I could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Some double barreled shotguns with one trigger, such as unmodified SKBs, switch from the first barrel to the second using a pendulum-like inertial connector that depends on recoil.  Very light low recoil shotshells may not provide enough recoil to make the inertial connector do its job.  When that happens some competitors “spank” the end of the buttstock to simulate recoil.  Sometimes it works.

Can't say I've ever noticed anyone doing that in a match.

I tried it once while practicing with an SKB shooting BP.  Still didn't switch the trigger.  It'd be faster, for me, to just reload.

6 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Can't say I've ever noticed anyone doing that in a match.

I tried it once while practicing with an SKB shooting BP.  Still didn't switch the trigger.  It'd be faster, for me, to just reload.

It’s one of the reasons I sold my SKBs and now I have two Browning BSS!  One less thing to worry about.

18 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Right. More often with pumps...seen folks 'slam' butt on the prop to 'un-jamb' them.

An interesting hypothetical which I think has been answered, and I agree that such a move is cringeworthy.  But here’s a real one that I would not have believed had I not witnessed it myself.

Twenty-plus years ago I was shooting the Midwest Regional at Middletown, Ohio.  They had a stage which contained a dump target.  Throw open the outhouse door and put ten pistols shots into a mannequin ensconced on the throne.  Point blank. Just make it happen.  (Can you imagine such a stage at today’s big shoots?  But I digress.)

We had a shooter named Smoky White Cloud who always shot full house Black Powder and dressed Native American. On this day he was shooting cap-n-ball, the particular model escaping me at the moment.  He gets to the stage, which happened to be his last of the match, and he starts off just lighting up the shotgun and rifle targets.  (Did I mention that Smoky was also pretty good with his smoke belchers?). Hellfire, brimstone, and steel clangs were everywhere!

He gets to the outhouse, tears the door open, draws the first pistol, and CLICK!  A deafening misfire.  He tried the second shot and soon everyone realized that Murphy and his damn Law had settled on Smoky like a wet blanket. Through gyrations and manipulations, he finally converted his CLICKS to nine BANGS.  The dummy was smoldering and about to catch fire due to the proximity of the flash from nine cylinders stuffed with Goex.  

By this time, most of three posses were watching and cringing and hoping for a salvation to what had become a dismal ending to Smoky’s weekend.  Finally we all heard BANG Number 10 and were about to applaud his perseverance when Smoky did the unthinkable...

He let out a war whoop that would make a settler’s blood run cold.  

He drew a Bowie out of his belt that was at least as long as my forearm, if not my thigh bone.  

Ol’ Smoky leaned forward into the now flaming dummy and slit his gut from navel to chin, then turned around and smiled as the whole range erupted in cheers!

Not sure what this had to do with the ordinal post, but still one of my best memories from many years of playing our game.

I understand the 1897 can be slam fired. Have not tried it, have not shot mine yet at all.

From what I have read, after first shot, keep trigger held down. Cycle action. As soon as the next round chambers fully, it goes bang.

Not sure if legal to do so in this sport. Not sure if illegal. But does seem to be the equivalent of slip-hammering a revolver.

9 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I understand the 1897 can be slam fired. Have not tried it, have not shot mine yet at all.

From what I have read, after first shot, keep trigger held down. Cycle action. As soon as the next round chambers fully, it goes bang.

Not sure if legal to do so in this sport. Not sure if illegal. But does seem to be the equivalent of slip-hammering a revolver.

Pretty scary the first time I did it by accident. 

28 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

He drew a Bowie out of his belt that was at least as long as my forearm, if not my thigh bone.  

Ol’ Smoky leaned forward into the now flaming dummy and slit his gut from navel to chin, then turned around and smiled as the whole range erupted in cheers!

I hope that Smoky holstered his pistol before drawing his knife. Because if he still had it in his hand when he turned to grin at the spectators, he'da broke the 170. :o

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

It is legal to do so in our game.

Not all '97s can be slam-fired.

I was watching a new shooter do it at a match a few weeks ago.  Even at our relatively close distances he was all over the targets.

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

He let out a war whoop that would make a settler’s blood run cold.  

Not sure what this had to do with the ordinal post, but still one of my best memories from many years of playing our game.

I've considered butt stroking a shotgun target that wouldn't go down. Never did it, but...

33 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Not all '97s can be slam-fired.

Are you saying the Chinese 97s have disconnectors? Because the Winchester 97s don't.

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Are you saying the Chinese 97s have disconnectors? Because the Winchester 97s don't.

I'm not going to pretend I know "why" they can't do it (I'm not a '97 shooter, anyways) but I've seen lots of conversations here on the wire as well as at the range telling me that some can't.

Archived