SASS Wire Forum

Reloading die lock rings

Not wanting to hi-jack Hardpan's thread about reloading dies, I have a question about the locking rings.

Which ones do you prefer?

I like the old ones, that compressed a piece of lead shot against the threads better than either toe split rings

that clamp the die or the rings that compress an O-ring to lock the die in place.  

I like the way that the old ones can be locked in the proper position without jamming the ring against the top of the press.

Duffield

I'm liking the Hornady rings.  Steel, flats for a spanner, and a stout clamping screw.  ;)

About nineteen bucks for a half-dozen from Amazon.  :)

image.jpeg.a7ee8a2a18ca65b2c2995534dd5a8c6a.jpeg   Sure-Loc Die Lock Ring (6 Count)

13 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I'm partial to the Dillon items ... along with their matching spanner ...  :)

I’m with Jack.  I like the smaller size of the Dillon rings plus the smaller wrench.  Makes it easier to change dies on a small toolhead.

I’ve never had one come loose, and never felt a need to crank down too tight against the toolhead or frame.  I bought a bunch of extras and now use them on my RCBS and Lyman presses too. 

4 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I'm liking the Hornady rings.  Steel, flats for a spanner, and a stout clamping screw.  ;)

About nineteen bucks for a half-dozen from Amazon.  :)

image.jpeg.a7ee8a2a18ca65b2c2995534dd5a8c6a.jpeg   Sure-Loc Die Lock Ring (6 Count)

I like them as there is no chance of damaging threads. While they work great on a single stage press they are a PITA on a turret press.

I have a Lee Breechlock "Challenger" single  stage press. I really like the Breechlock system and I buy the Locking Breechlock Bushings. Lee also makes  an adaptor for the bushings for other brand name presses. The bushings allow quick changes for dies and your dies are always adjusted perfectly.

I have 2 Lee turret presses. I have a turret for each caliber I load. All my dies are set up so I don't have to adjust them. I just use the lock rings that came with the dies.

I have to confess, I do not own any Dillon dies or lock rings.  I'm sure they're excellent; I just never bought 'em.

What makes them special?  In the pictures I don't see any sort of set screw or "locking" device... what keeps them secured?  They appear to be low-profile, so does one use two, with the second as a jam-nut?  :huh:

You don't need a screw locking device.  The Dillon nuts are thin wall to leave enough room for the handy dandy Dillon wrench to fit between the dies.  Adjust the die then snug down the nut.  Extra die sets go into extra removable tool heads.

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0004.jpeg

DSC_0001.jpeg

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I have to confess, I do not own any Dillon dies or lock rings.  I'm sure they're excellent; I just never bought 'em.

What makes them special?  In the pictures I don't see any sort of set screw or "locking" device... what keeps them secured?  They appear to be low-profile, so does one use two, with the second as a jam-nut?  :huh:

Dillon assumes that you'll use their dies on their tool heads; and once installed they'll remain in place. 

Most other manufacturers assume you have a single stage press and provide a way to fix the lock ring in place so that the die can be removed and reinstalled while maintaining proper adjustment.

Regardless of whether it is a Dillon die or another brand I use the Dillon nuts on everything since my two main presses are Dillon.  In the top photo the die to the left is an RCBS powder checker.  Left to right, Hornady, RCBS and Dillon.  The factory Hornady and RCBS lock rings are hard to use on a Dillon.

DSC_0004.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You don't need a screw locking device.  The Dillon nuts are thin wall to leave enough room for the handy dandy Dillon wrench to fit between the dies.  Adjust the die then snug down the nut.  Extra die sets go into extra removable tool heads.

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0004.jpeg

Having the extra tool heads for different calibers makes life so much easier. 

Hey Larson, is that a Snowshooze quick release on the powder measure? I have those on my powder measures, they're awesome.

6 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Dillon assumes that you'll use their dies on their tool heads; and once installed they'll remain in place. 

Most other manufacturers assume you have a single stage press and provide a way to fix the lock ring in place so that the die can be removed and reinstalled while maintaining proper adjustment.

I wish I had known about those smaller Dillon lock rings when I set up my Lee Turret tool heads, the extra room makes things so much easier.

8 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Hey Larson, is that a Snowshooze quick release on the powder measure? I have those on my powder measures, they're awesome.

Yes it is.  I have them on four of my measures.

I have a number of die sets mounted in the removable heads for my Dillon, each with a dedicated powder measure.  I set 'em all up years ago and rarely have to adjust.  All pistol calibers, though; I use single-stage presses for rifle ammo.  

But no Dillon dies.  Actually, I had most of my die sets before I bought my Dillon over twenty years ago.  :rolleyes:

Archived