SASS Wire Forum

Value of a Colt fired/unfired

Rye Miles #13621

Just wondering how much value is decreased if you fire an unfired Colt? I have one that was made in 1980 unfired. I want to shoot it but I'm thinking the value may go up even more since CZ bought Colt.

Whadya Think??

I have 3 that I shoot now so I don't really need this one to shoot.

Thanks, Rye

(I know guns are made to be shot yadda yadda yadda, please I know that)

Probably around retail plus a bit more.  Colt is showing MSRP for the SAAs at $1,800.  Of course, there are none coming out of the factory as far as I know, but a "run of the mill" would probably be at least $2,000-2,500 range.  If you don't need to shoot it, then don't.  What do you have to lose?  If Colt starts making them again in any sort of quantity the price will gravitate to the lower end of the range.  But even if they did I doubt there would be much demand.

1 minute ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Probably around retail plus a bit more.  Colt is showing MSRP for the SAAs at $1,800.  Of course, there are none coming out of the factory as far as I know, but a "run of the mill" would probably be at least $2,000-2,500 range.  If you don't need to shoot it, then don't.  What do you have to lose?  If Colt starts making them again in any sort of quantity the price will gravitate to the lower end of the range.  But even if they did I doubt there would be much demand.

Well it is a perfect match to my other 5 1/2" and it's a .357 which I know is on the lower end of prices. .45 and .44-40 command a better price. 

When I leave this planet it'll go to my sons anyway so there's that................Hmmmmm

Thanks for the response Tex.

I have a pair on 2nd gen .44-40 that the nickel is coming off and have a few 1000 rounds through then.  Two years ago they were showed to a collector/appraser who valued tham at $4500 but said if they had been as the day they were picked up I could have gotten about $8000 for them.  Second gen are all over the place but most collectable ones are going up faster than shooters.  If you will never sale, keep or shoot, they will never make you any money.

55 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Shoot it :excl:

You'll wish you had done so, sooner ;)

OLG 

That’s exactly what I’m leaning towards.;)

Unless I bought it to sell and make a profit, I would shoot it. You mentioned that you would probably leave it to a son anyway. I know my boys would rather have something that I used and they could also use rather than something to just look at. JMHO. 

Buying and preserving a firearm as an investment is probably not the best use of your funds.

Buying a Colt and shooting it however might just prove to be!  I like Colt's, and I like shooting them;

the only metals I invest in are silver, gold, and some lead these days! 

I's shoot them and enjoy them as what they are - a classic historical firearm, and one that will be treasured

by your children later be because it was one you shot, not because it was found in the back of a safe unused.

Jut my $0.02 worth

SC

Unless it's some rare custom configuration just shoot it. NIB (I just sold a 7 1/2" NIB 1979 gun) isn't worth too much more than a good used one.

RYE,

when I die, I figure I'll probably have a 'plain' look to my face and folks will know I

was a RUGER shooter.   My daughter will probably sell my Vaqueros.

When you pass on, you'll lie there in the casket with a smile on your face and folks will

know you were a COLT shooter.   Your son(s) will keep your Colts, fired or unfired.

Thats how it works.

..........Widder

I don't see a Third Gen having too much impact on value as long as you take care of it and don't alter it in a way that can't be changed back. The real value in Colt SAA are in the 1st Gens and some 2nd Gens.

5 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I don't see a Third Gen having too much impact on value as long as you take care of it and don't alter it in a way that can't be changed back. The real value in Colt SAA are in the 1st Gens and some 2nd Gens.

Yes, and the .357 is the least desirable among Colt collectors. That’s why I got a pretty good deal on it!:)

Colt prices right now are at an all time high. Not exactly sure why. Various reasons I’m sure, including the CZ purchase amongst the top. I’ve been buying and pricing colts almost on a daily basis go about a decade now. All things being equal, 1980’s era are the least valuable. 357 are also the least valuable caliber. It’s quite possible with the combination of high current value and lowest configuration value to be able to sell yours right now for north of $2k. Especially if you are patient and not looking to sell right now. That being said, 3rd gen colts fire tend to not lose too much value. Nor do the older 3rd gen guns tend to gain a whole lot being unfired. So I’d say shoot it now and worry about selling it later down the road if you still want to. Unless of course you absolutely need the money right now then selling is the better idea. 

Send it to Bob James and then shoot the mess out of it. I did, best running guns I have ever held. My two kids have already picked out which one is theirs. 3rd gens from 2020 they are more fun than they will ever be worth I'm my lifetime. 

5 hours ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

Send it to Bob James and then shoot the mess out of it. I did, best running guns I have ever held. My two kids have already picked out which one is theirs. 3rd gens from 2020 they are more fun than they will ever be worth I'm my lifetime. 

I have a guy that does mine here, he does a great job!

1 minute ago, Zach Taylor,SASS#14359 said:

If you are not going to sell it, shoot it , if you don't somebody else will.

Yep, I decided I'm gonna get it slicked up and shoot it!

Archived