SASS Wire Forum

What were you saying about Jan 6th again?

Raylan

The 1954 United States Capitol shooting was an attack on March 1, 1954, by four Puerto Rican nationalists wanting Puerto Rico's independence from US rule. They shot 30 rounds from semi-automatic pistols from the Ladies' Gallery (a balcony for visitors) of the House of Representatives chamber in the United States Capitol.

The nationalists, identified as Lolita Lebrón, Rafael Cancel Miranda, Andres Figueroa Cordero, and Irvin Flores Rodríguez, unfurled a Puerto Rican flag and began shooting at Representatives in the 83rd Congress, who were debating an immigration bill. Five Representatives were wounded, one seriously, but all recovered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_United_States_Capitol_shooting

When I was in PR in the Navy in 82 we weren’t allowed off base because of the rioting about getting the Navy out of PR. I have always felt they should be cut loose to fend for themselves. It’s what they want…until they need our money. 

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When I was in PR in the Navy in 82 we weren’t allowed off base because of the rioting about getting the Navy out of PR. I have always felt they should be cut loose to fend for themselves. It’s what they want…until they need our money. 

Remember when they forced the US Navy to stop using the section that had been traditionally used for gunnery practice?  And the Navy said "Fine.  Since we can't do that anymore we'll just close our base in Puerto Rico. "  And then the uproar from the Puerto Rican government that they couldn't do that because of the economic hardship in would inflict on their economy?

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Remember when they forced the US Navy to stop using the section that had been traditionally used for gunnery practice?  And the Navy said "Fine.  Since we can't do that anymore we'll just close our base in Puerto Rico. "  And then the uproar from the Puerto Rican government that they couldn't do that because of the economic hardship in would inflict on their economy?

Pretty much the same thing when we closed the Navy Base in the Philippines.

19 hours ago, Raylan said:

The 1954 United States Capitol shooting was an attack on March 1, 1954, by four Puerto Rican nationalists wanting Puerto Rico's independence from US rule. They shot 30 rounds from semi-automatic pistols from the Ladies' Gallery (a balcony for visitors) of the House of Representatives chamber in the United States Capitol.

The nationalists, identified as Lolita Lebrón, Rafael Cancel Miranda, Andres Figueroa Cordero, and Irvin Flores Rodríguez, unfurled a Puerto Rican flag and began shooting at Representatives in the 83rd Congress, who were debating an immigration bill. Five Representatives were wounded, one seriously, but all recovered.

Interesting, thanks for sharing that!

BTW, I just shared this on Facebook, I bet they take it down!

23 hours ago, Raylan said:

I remember that.  I was twelve years old and recall asking my dad why weren't they shot on the spot.  His answer introduced me to the term "martyr".

When we say “they” we may be forgetting there are thousands of Puerto Rican’s loyal to the United States. 
Beware of using the broad brush.

Every time PR has had a plebiscite on question of statehood, independence or trust territory the status quo wins.  The status quo has economic advantages over statehood and/or independence.   Statehood's only advantage is having senators & representatives in Congress.  The disadvantages are: residents having to pay federal income taxes & loosing special money transfers from the Federal treasury that no state receives.  Also, they will not likely receive Federal bailouts when a PR government subdivision or entity (the electric utility) go Tango Uniform.   Independence as a commonwealth country's has almost no advantages over the status quo or statehood.  The only one I see is if they don't like the US constitution's restrictions on government actions.  Given the current make-up of SCOTUS PR's restrictions on the people's right to keep & bear arms are likely to be bounced.

16 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

Given the current make-up of SCOTUS PR's restrictions on the people's right to keep & bear arms are likely to be bounced.

A year and a half ago

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20191223/puerto-rico-enacts-pro-gun-overhaul-of-firearms-laws

Shall-issue Carry permits. Recognize stateside Carry permits.

Archived