Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Scope recommendation please for 22


Recommended Posts

I need one for my Model 60. I want illuminated reticle. I don't want a red dot scope. I don't want to spend a fortune, but $100+/- is ok.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last fall I needed to replace a scope I'd had forever and was dreading getting used to a new one.

 

I went with a Vortex Crossfire ll and haven't looked back.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

DDD, if you haven't already, check out this article:

 

Scope Recommendations for Marlin Model 60

 

There are seven recommendations; however, the only one with an illuminated reticle is the Barska (#5 on the list).  Amazon has a bunch, many well within your budget range (and a few that are a bit more).

 

By the way - don't be afraid to consider air rifle scopes; they're generally more robust than .22 rimfire specific scopes.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless the scope has an AO adjustment; a typical rimfire scope has the parallax set for 25 or 50 yards while center fire scopes have their parallax set to 100 yards.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t buy any optics unless you can look through it first.

 

I put a Bushnell Elite on my 10-22.  More expensive than most .22 scopes, but not the most expensive.

 

Buy a scope for your eyes, not the bore diameter.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

At what distance are you shooting and what size is your target?

Within 50-75 yards, but some is at night with a spot light.  I can't see reticle in my current scope with a green flood light.  Then again, a good red dot scope, if  the dot isn't fuzzy, might do the trick. Shooting varmints.  Nothing particularly hard to kill with a head shot.

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Within 50-75 yards, but some is at night with a spot light.  I can't see reticle in my current scope with a green flood light on my current scope.  Then again, a good red dot scope, if  the dot isn't fuzzy, might do the trick. Shooting varmints.  Nothing particularly hard to kill with a head shot.

 

Red Dot scopes come with different sizes of dots. All I have seen give you the dot size in MOA.

 

If you wear glasses or contacts, 9 times out of 10 they will cause a red dot optic to appear fuzzy or have a starburst appearance. I have this problem and sent back two sights before I discovered that my glasses were the problem. I have never used an illuminated retical in a scope so I don't know if they have the same problem.  

 

I can shoot without corrective lenses. and adjust the focus on my scopes to correct for my eyesight. When using red dot sights my vision is good enough without corrective lenses that I can still hit most targets. When the targets are small I resort to peep sights.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

 

Red Dot scopes come with different sizes of dots. All I have seen give you the dot size in MOA.

 

If you wear glasses or contacts, 9 times out of 10 they will cause a red dot optic to appear fuzzy or have a starburst appearance. I have this problem and sent back two sights before I discovered that my glasses were the problem. I have never used an illuminated retical in a scope so I don't know if they have the same problem.  

 

I can shoot without corrective lenses. and adjust the focus on my scopes to correct for my eyesight. When using red dot sights my vision is good enough without corrective lenses that I can still hit most targets. When the targets are small I resort to peep sights.

I wear reading glasses. I have slight astigmatism in my dominate eye, but not there yet for full time glasses. Also, concerning astigmatism, I  shoot my bow (peep sight) measurably better with bow eyes open.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried a recommended Vortex for my 22.  Did not like the parallax  that was present with the 22 scopes. I took the scope off of my 223 and it works great. Same price by the way.

kR

Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't go down the Ford, Dodge & Chevy path, but I've had some experiences with company's non warranty and service departments that have been less than stellar. 

I suggest picking a scope manufacture that has a Lifetime Warranty and a good reputation. In my opinion it's worth the extra money.
The replacement scope I put on my Ruger 10-22 was a Redfield and have really liked it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

Illuminated recticle is something I have never used or maybe even seen???

But anyway the Redfield 2-7 is a nice little scope with a very bright view.

They have a bunch of recticles to chooze from.

I went with the bow option.

There are marks that line up with various distances if its zeroed at 100yards.

Anyhoo, it just seems like big scopes on little rifles are just wrong.

Redfield is part of Leupold in case you havent heard.

If things ever get back to normal I might look into this illuminated thing.

If the 2-7 doesnt work for you consider buying from a place with decent return policy.

Best

CR

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I wear reading glasses. I have slight astigmatism in my dominate eye, but not there yet for full time glasses. Also, concerning astigmatism, I  shoot my bow (peep sight) measurably better with bow eyes open.

I also have a astigmatism and dot sighs are never a dot for me , always a odd shaped 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A green spotlight and illuminated reticle is a good compromise to IR scopes if not over 100 yards 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.