SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy Costume Question

Wade Butcher

On 1/9/2021 at 6:16 AM, Texas Joker said:

I hate to differ, but Russian nobility and others came to the old west.  The movie Shanghai Noon had Chinese Royal Guards in it. I have seen pics of SASS costumes with British Officers and Bobbies. 

Why would a Rhaja or other high caste Indian not want to tour the wild west? If the costume is Victorian appropriate isn't it more historically accurate than steam punk which most seem to accept.

On 1/9/2021 at 8:22 AM, Equanimous Phil said:

There are a lot of outfits and costumes that are considered appropriate and SASS legal (some even just wear jeans, a shirt and work boots... :ph34r:), but this thread is about Classic Cowboy ;)

Equanimous 

the movie Hidalgo does contain people dressed in this fashion, employed in nomadic cattle herding, in scenes in the west of the USA... How do we feel about Ned Kelly, the man from snowy river and dare I say it, Quigley Down Under?  We don't prohibit bankers from shooting Classic Cowboy?  We don't prohibit gamblers and ladies of the night from shooting Classic Cowboy, we don't prohibit Cowboys from Australia from shooting Classic Cowboy.  So why should we prohibit Cowboys from the Middle East from shooting Classic Cowboy?

image.thumb.png.4f8d1e3c6df37d80716da3982048b9ef.png

Caption:  Actual Picture of me trying to figure out Costuming Loopholes when I have a million and 1 other things I should be doing.

A costume is a costume, it adds to the uniqueness of the game, if it's not prohibited in the category, why wouldn't you want someone with over 1 minute stage times be welcome in your shooting category?  

I seriously want my next posse to be a Jonny Depp Tanto (probably disqualified for a feathered hat) and any Japanese character from a battle scene in the Last Samurai.  If you want in, PM me and we'll figure out a match to go crash... they can figure out what category to put us in when we get there... 

58 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

I seriously want my next posse to be a Jonny Depp Tanto (probably disqualified for a feathered hat) and any Japanese character from a battle scene in the Last Samurai.  If you want in, PM me and we'll figure out a match to go crash... they can figure out what category to put us in when we get there... 

Imagine that.  A "guest" who won't even pony up membership fees wanting to "crash" a match and push for changing the rules of an established activity.  Either play by the rules, or start your own club.

1 minute ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Imagine that.  A "guest" who won't even pony up membership fees wanting to "crash" a match and push for changing the rules of an established activity.  Either play by the rules, or start your own club.

My humble apologies for letting my human nature out.  I am out of line.

I have no desire to change the rules for my niche costume, just thought I could stand on the letter of the law, and maybe give someone a chuckle.

I do want a SASS membership, that's somewhere down the list after $1000/month student loan repayment, Medical Expenses and taking care of my family.  My wife and I are happily working to get out of debt, and plan to get out soon, but until then, I only allow myself $30/month for discretionary spending.  We have a budget and we work hard to stick to it.  I have goods and services I can provide, proceeds to go towards my SASS membership, if interested PM me.

I'm not going to be shooting a lot until I kick this debt, when it's gone, then I'll be looking to pick up a membership, some proper gear etc.  In the mean time, I'm hoping to drop in once a year or so, hopefully have and provide a good time, and learn all I can so when I'm out I know where to invest in my gear and my time.  I trust and pray that this great organization has the leadership, vision and culture to weather these times until then.  

3 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

the movie Hidalgo does contain people dressed in this fashion, employed in nomadic cattle herding, in scenes in the west of the USA... How do we feel about Ned Kelly, the man from snowy river and dare I say it, Quigley Down Under?  We don't prohibit bankers from shooting Classic Cowboy?  We don't prohibit gamblers and ladies of the night from shooting Classic Cowboy, we don't prohibit Cowboys from Australia from shooting Classic Cowboy.  So why should we prohibit Cowboys from the Middle East from shooting Classic Cowboy?

Caption:  Actual Picture of me trying to figure out Costuming Loopholes when I have a million and 1 other things I should be doing.

A costume is a costume, it adds to the uniqueness of the game, if it's not prohibited in the category, why wouldn't you want someone with over 1 minute stage times be welcome in your shooting category?  

I hope you'll get to a place where you can join SASS and I'm sure when you do you'll enjoy yourself.

2 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

Please don't get me wrong, I love your costume, it's very unique and imho very appropriate for Cowboy Action Shooting! Some pards always say that CAS isn't reenacting, which is right, but if I read in the SHB "Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-Western movie, or Western television series. SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming..." , then everyone should dress up like that in every category. For me, you're not automatically good to go if you don't wear any "outlawed" items. And if a majority fears to lose members that way, then those words in the SHB had to be altered.

I personally wouldn't mind to change the SHB to accept costuming like yours that represents other old west characters than Cowboys in CC, but currently there are written rules. Also a "banker" or a "gambler" must comply with the (at least) 5 optional items and the other requirements to shoot CC (and yes, ladies have more options :))

Always happy trails,

Equanimous Phil (not shooting CC yet because still exercising duelist style...)

Equanimous-Phil_1.thumb.jpg.c45646b87ebccedb8b2aad9d87ffc40a.jpg

18 hours ago, Houston CAS said:

And now I think I know why I haven't seen that movie... :D 

7 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

No problems, El Cupa Joe.  Good for you for establishing a budget and sticking to it.

ill second that - nothing like being debt free to allow a person to enjoy what they might choose for entertainment and fun , stick with the budget , 

you will find cowboys are willing to help out where they can , also most clubs have a reasonable monthly fee to shoot - not sure the $30 will comfortably cover it but you might be surprised if you give us a chance to show you how accommodating we can be , particularly if your willing to work at the club to improve things and facilitate the monthly shoots , 

20 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

And now I think I know why I haven't seen that movie... :D 

It's a really funny movie, especially if you ever worked in any kind of corporate America cubicle environment. If you don't like cursing, I would recommend watching it off Comedy Channel or something like that. 

On 1/11/2021 at 11:34 AM, Equanimous Phil said:

Please don't get me wrong, I love your costume, it's very unique and imho very appropriate for Cowboy Action Shooting! Some pards always say that CAS isn't reenacting, which is right, but if I read in the SHB "Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-Western movie, or Western television series. SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming..." , then everyone should dress up like that in every category. For me, you're not automatically good to go if you don't wear any "outlawed" items. And if a majority fears to lose members that way, then those words in the SHB had to be altered.

I personally wouldn't mind to change the SHB to accept costuming like yours that represents other old west characters than Cowboys in CC, but currently there are written rules. Also a "banker" or a "gambler" must comply with the (at least) 5 optional items and the other requirements to shoot CC (and yes, ladies have more options :))

Always happy trails,

Equanimous Phil (not shooting CC yet because still exercising duelist style...)

Equanimous-Phil_1.thumb.jpg.c45646b87ebccedb8b2aad9d87ffc40a.jpg

If we are gonna be so strict, then those ammo belts around the middles, belts with buckles in the back, etc. could all be called into question eventually.

26 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

If we are gonna be so strict, then those ammo belts around the middles, belts with buckles in the back, etc. could all be called into question eventually.

Okay...strict, as in following the long tried and true costume requirements in place for CC (as well as BWestern)...

Not strict for 'authentic'.;)

There's NCOWS for that.

Hope to catch ya down the range!

59 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Love the answers!

I personally add an extra or two when I shoot LCC.

But for 'not being seen' , our Serenity says it best...

"I have on my chamisole, bloomers and a corset...you'll just have to take me on my word":rolleyes:

Sue, I seem to recall you shooting in bloomers AND a corset for all the world to see.

Im thinking Shanley will verify ;)

Y’all think about coming to shoot with us at Mimbres for Memorial Day :wub:

You are correct sir!!:P

One EOT...as I was headed down the hill at EOT, to start out in the Information Booth... came a voice that later was found to be Badge Pusher...

"Katie...come quick!!! Singin' Sue is goin' to town in her UNDERWEAR!!!"

And your suggestion is VERY inticeing.

If our plans don't come through for that weekend, you bet we will!!:rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

Sue, I seem to recall you shooting in bloomers AND a corset for all the world to see.

Im thinking Shanley will verify ;)

Y’all think about coming to shoot with us at Mimbres for Memorial Day :wub:

Oh...and Classic Cowgirl...

Been shootin' LFC too long!!

9 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

What is wrong with his shotgun ammo belt and with having belts with buckles in the back?

CC Costume requirements.  SHB page 7

Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below, and all clothing items must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies.

Chaps, western spurs with rowels and spur straps, cuffs, tie or scarf worn loosely around the neck or with scarf slide, vest, pocket watch with full length chain, jacket, sleeve garters, knife (screw knives do NOT qualify), botas, leggings, or braces.

No Straw or Palm hats allowed. -

In addition to the above items, ladies may choose from the items listed below in order to compete within this category: Period watch, split riding skirt, bustle, hoops, corset, Victorian style hat (straw allowed), period jewelry, period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule (period handbag), period lace up shoes, camisole, bloomers, fishnet stockings, feather boa, or cape. - No Buscadero or drop holster rigs allowed (i.e., part of the grip must be above the belt on which the holster hangs). - Boots are required and must be of traditional design with non-grip enhancing (i.e., NO “Lug”) soles. - Moccasins are not allowed. - Hats must be worn for the entire match.

I don't see anything in there regarding buckles in the back, or a tighter standard for where shotgun belts go.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

What is wrong with his shotgun ammo belt and with having belts with buckles in the back?

Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below, and all clothing items must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies.

Chaps, western spurs with rowels and spur straps, cuffs, tie or scarf worn loosely around the neck or with scarf slide, vest, pocket watch with full length chain, jacket, sleeve garters, knife (screw knives do NOT qualify), botas, leggings, or braces.

In addition to the above items, ladies may choose from the items listed below in order to compete within this category: Period watch, split riding skirt, bustle, hoops, corset, Victorian style hat (straw allowed), period jewelry, period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule (period handbag), period lace up shoes, camisole, bloomers, fishnet stockings, feather boa, or cape. - No Buscadero or drop holster rigs allowed (i.e., part of the grip must be above the belt on which the holster hangs). - Boots are required and must be of traditional design with non-grip enhancing (i.e., NO “Lug”) soles. - Moccasins are not allowed. - Hats must be worn for the entire match.

I don't see anything in there regarding buckles in the back, or a tighter standard for where shotgun belts go.

You are right of course. I was not referring to the legality or even the fun factor, but to the appearance not matching what was actually used in the period we love. And it is of course, much safer to grab rounds from in front of you than fumbling trying to grab some from a belt in your back.

This is a sport with elements of fantasy or whimsey thrown in, as much as you want.  You wouldn't find anyone walking around with 2 six shooters on their belt and a shotgun belt with 12 shells in any old west picture or in a B Western that I've seen.   Most real cowboys would have one revolver if they were lucky.  We combine the fun of the costumes with the practicality of shooting four firearms.

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

There is a requirement in the rules that say shot gun belts must be worn at a certain level...as well as bandaliers may not be 'tied down' (?)

Archived