SASS Wire Forum

Large rifle vs large pistol primers

I had a senior's moment and put about 15 large rifle primers in 45 Colt large pistol primer cases.  I then noticed that oops, wrong primers but, they fit with no problem.  Is there really a difference or can they be interchangeable?  I set them off to the side and won't use them until I get some advice on whether to use them in my pistol or pop them out.  Or, am I concerned about nothing.

Appreciate your comments

24 minutes ago, Assassin said:

I've used them both ways in the past without any problems. Actually made some of my most accurate 45-70 loads using large pistol primers.

Good, Thanks for your time.  Just wanted to be sure.  Take care.

17 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

If you're going to use them in a pistol, spin the cylinder first....just to check.

Large rifle primers can be up to .009" LONGER than Large pistol primers.  (Don't ask me why...the same does NOT apply to Small rifle and pistol primers).  The depth of the primer pockets in cartridges normally designated as pistol rounds are shallower (that does include .44-40, even though it was originally a rifle round).  Therefore, seating a large rifle primer in one of these cases can result in high primers.  Not only should you check the free spin of the cylinder in a sixgun, but there would be increased danger of a magazine explosion in tubular magazines!  Aside from that, there should be no problem ballistically. If the cylinder will spin okay, I'd use them in your sixgun.  Probably would not load them in the rifle magazine, however.

PLUS ONE for Trailrider and Lumpy.

The biggest danger is "High Primer" jams in revolvers because the primers aren't flush with the case head.  The even bigger danger is a magazine discharge in a Tubular Magazine because of high primers.

PS:  This is the THIRD or FOURTH TIME we have hosted this discussion in the past couple of weeks.

2 minutes ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Use a straight edge across the base of the rounds to find high primers.Ideally,they should be below flush.

Or sit them upright on a flat surface and see if they wobble a little.

..........Widder

On 1/2/2021 at 12:57 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Or sit them upright on a flat surface and see if they wobble a little.

..........Widder

I used a straight edge and they are all either perfectly level or below level.  Since they are only a small amount I'll put them in with my pistol ammo.  Thanks again guys for your assistance.

I entered a post a week or so ago asking about using LRP in 45 Colt.  I got a lot of negative response and a bunch of positive response.

Yesterday I loaded a dozen or so LRP in 45 Colt brass.  I used 8 different brass manufactures.  All of them allowed the cylinders to spin freely in my New Vaqueros.

I did make sure the primer pockets were clean.

The primers were not proud in the casing, flush is what I'd say.

This morning I test fired them, worked like a charm!

I used the same Cowboy load I've been using for years.

Round 'em up!

Archived