SASS Wire Forum

Sanctuary!

Utah Bob #35998

The rain stopped so I decided to head to the post office. 3rd combined Deer/Elk season starts today. On the way, just past the church, I passed a truck parked on the side of the road with two hunters searching the East ag fields with binocs. About a mile further there was another truck with two guys searching the fields to the West. On my way back from the post office I passed the trucks, then the church again. Lo and behold. Sanctuary! :lol::lol:

D499AC53-B1B7-47DA-8911-6AABAF805431.jpeg

I can be out all day and not see a thing. Come home and 12 large deer will be in my back yard. Sanctuary

Full moon skunked me Tuesday and Wednesday on a state park either sex hunt. All I saw were yearling does and orphans not bright enough to feed at night like the rest of the deer. Could have shot them but let them pass. With the rut going on I figured to see more. Every time I go to that park, I’ll see herds of deer.

Been hunting on a WMA last three days. Shot a spike Thursday morning working a scrape. Had three does come up behind me in a thicket. No shot. Saw five or six that afternoon. Real thick area. Couldn’t get a clean shot on any. I need 4-5 more in the freezer.

They know where to be when the guns start going off. Around here, I think they just go on vacation.:blink::rolleyes:

Actually, thursday morning I saw two cross the entrance road to the park on my trash run. One had no antlers, the other did. Wonder what the antlered one had on his mind???:lol::blush:

I've actually had a buck( large,too) laying down on the hill behind the house here. At first I couldn't figure out why I had never noticed the big rock on the hill. Then he moved his head! Figure there was someone hunting on the other side of the hill:blink::blush:

Petey hunted doves, and went to court over it more than once.  One opening day he goes, comes back & announces they hadn't seen a bird all day.  I just pointed out the kitchen window, where there were about a dozen of them in the back yard.  THEY KNOW.

That's the story of my life.  Once I was elk hunting over by Gunnison, CO on national forest land.  Our area bordered a huge private ranch.  We went days without seeing anything but deer -- a plethora of deer when all we had were elk licenses -- there was no sign or anything.  One morning hunt brought me over to the fence between the pubic and private land, and I decided just to have a peek into the private land with my binoculars.  Sure enough, there were OVER 100 elk standing in the open field about 1/2 mile away from me, all on the private land.  The rancher was one of the "no hunting allowed, don't even ask" type, so my tag went unfilled that year.

Around dusk last night, about 40 elk walked out in the field below my house. At least 8 branched bulls in the bunch - there are four more to the left of the far left one in the pic. The ol' Bushnell rangefinder said about 620 yards off my deck - an easy enough shot, but there are a fair number of houses that direction.

Elk.jpg

Archived