SASS Wire Forum

Tang sight?

Dusty Boots

I have a Uberti 1873 rifle and was thinking of mounting a tang sight. Before I commit to doing that I was wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages? Do you have to change your grip, at the distance that the rifle targets are at is a traditional buckhorn sights faster, with tang sights are the front sights visible when the hammer is not cocked? I am aware that tang sights are permitted, but does that include those which are adjustable for both windage and elevation? I appreciate your comments.

DB

Have to agree with OLG!!   Almost willing to bet a lot of shooters do not even use the rear sight at the distance we shoot.   Long range it's a plus      GW

2 hours ago, Dusty Boots said:

include those which are adjustable for both windage and elevation?

Yes, that would be acceptable under the rules.   It was found long ago that it doesn't provide any speed up for most shooters, and usually slows folks down unless you have real vision problems.   The thing that speeds up lots of shooters is to flatten the factory rear sight "semi-buckhorn ears" so it's flat except for the V of the sight.  As mentioned above, you hardly need a rear sight at all with our current target distances.

Good luck, GJ

I have used a tang sight on my 73 for 20 years.  It is not faster.  No you can not see the front sight with the hammer down. So why use one,  I am not a fast shooter and never will be. The tang sight is different so it is fun to use. I have forgotten to stand the sight up before starting a stage. Comes as a surprise when the time comes to shoot the rifle. I removed the rear sight so Ididn't see it through the tang sight. 

Now I don't use any sight because I shoot my rifle from the hip. 

Silver Rings 

I used one for quite awhile and it really helped me pick up the front sight quicker......

What I didn't realize then, was that my eyesight was worse than I thought.

I got cataract surgery and saw the world clearer than I had in many years....... The Tang Sight went away!

So, it all depends on your situation...... A Tang can be a help in certain circumstances.

Maybe its just in my head, bit I seem to find the next target and get on it quicker with a tang sight.  I have two rifles.  One with a tang and one with a flat barrel mounted rear sight.  I run the tang sight without the insert.  If i am looking through the hole and put the front sight on the target, its a hit.  One of these days, I will put a tang sight on the second rifle.  I will have to say that the tang sight, though faster for me, isn't really noticeable on my raw times.  It is noticeable on my miss count.

That's my story and I am sticking to it. B)

Chancy

4 hours ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

Maybe its just in my head, bit I seem to find the next target and get on it quicker with a tang sight.  I have two rifles.  One with a tang and one with a flat barrel mounted rear sight.  I run the tang sight without the insert.  If i am looking through the hole and put the front sight on the target, its a hit.  One of these days, I will put a tang sight on the second rifle.  I will have to say that the tang sight, though faster for me, isn't really noticeable on my raw times.  It is noticeable on my miss count.

That's my story and I am sticking to it. B)

Chancy

Same here - just one sight to put on the target.

I started with a tang sight..

I didn't use an aperture.. Just the ghost ring.. Quick sight acquisition..

but I'd guess what little you gain there you lose on having

to be careful putting/laying the rifle down.. They won't take much abuse..

I currently use the rear Buckhorn sight filed flat with just the "V"..

Rance;)

Just my thoughts:huh:

Archived