SASS Wire Forum

Don't truncate the year.

Sedalia Dave

That is a very valid concern. Especially with some of the idiotry I work with. Yes, “idiotry” is a word. An obsolete word but a word nonetheless. It explains groupthink stupidity very simply. 

Dave,

Good information.

It should also be noted that regardless of the year, your single digit month and date should always include a "zero" to prevent tampering with the timing of the document, be it a check, notarized paper, etc. (obviously depending on spacing)

1/3/2020 could become 11/13/2020 which would reflect being late if due by January 15th.

01/03/2020 is harder to modify

People keep coming up with these.

A few years ago I saw where they told you not to make out your income tax check  to IRS, but to make it out to Internal Revenue Service.

The reasoning is because someone could draw a N next to the I, making an M, turning IRS into MRS, then adding a name and having some woman cash it.

It sounds plausible, but I wonder if it was ever done, or if someone came up with this idea to worry people.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

A few years ago I saw where they told you not to make out your income tax check  to IRS, but to make it out to Internal Revenue Service.

The reasoning is because someone could draw a N next to the I, making an M, turning IRS into MRS, then adding a name and having some woman cash it.

It sounds plausible, but I wonder if it was ever done, or if someone came up with this idea to worry people.

They could also turn the 20 into 2021 (or so) making the check invalid until that date. 

This could have also applied to the last year! I used 19 I didn't use 2019! 

And to think this kind of forgery was once done to the hides of beef critters with a runnin iron.

;)

"Idiotry" ... I like that term, PR, and it's applicable.

Sounds like INFANTRY which is a whole bunch of people ... and from what I've seen, the IDIOTRY qualifies!

Dantakerous, you're absolutely right, forgery WAS done with a runnin' iron!

Forgery, an ancient and honored sport!

18 hours ago, Alpo said:

I read that and thought maybe they would refuse to take it if I made it payable to IRS.  No such luck!  Thhey didn't guive a rat who it was made out to.

Blackfoot:P

Archived