SASS Wire Forum

Opinions

cab9379

I had a pair for many years.

They are purdy & nice performers.

Just like shooting a Colt 36 Navy percussion gun, but much more convenient.

I enjoyed mine very much

They'll need a new firing pin (The Smith Shop), new springs (I used Wolff).

Mine worked just fine without the arbor fix

Fun to shoot, easy to clean, & lotsa style points

--Dawg

The MWNN "conversion" is an Opentop Frame with Navy barrel, because that was the way the movie gun was..  The OT's had sharp bendy firing pins in the past but that was corrected years ago so should not be a problem.  It should shoot fine as-is but for best performance you may want to address the likely short arbor issue (plenty of info around on that).  Originally this gun from Uberti had no rear sight at all, because the movie gun didn't.  Later they added in the dovetailed rear sight.  It is a nice square sight picture, but the edges of the sight are pretty sharp and might tear up some holsters.   You can get it with or without the snake, which is pretty pricey as it is sterling.  You probably know about the two piece rammer that comes apart to make an empty brass poker, but don't use the rammer to lever the barrel off of the frame like some do with percussion guns, as the rammer will bend at the joint (don't ask me how I know this).

Cool thanks guys Im just getting into the sport, Im in ohio so need to find a club

Hi cab9379,

Where are you located?  

Ohio has many good clubs.  List your location on your post and you will probably get many invitations to attend a match.

Be sure to bring eye protection and hearing protection.  

Please read the SASS Shooter's Handbooks.  You can find them on this website on the home page.

It will tell you all the rules and give you a good introduction as to what is going on and what to do.

Watch YouTube videos also.  Welcome to the world of CAS!

All the best,

Slow Mo Dern

We are having an indoor CAS match tomorrow at the Western Reserve Fish and Game club in Niles, Ohio at 10:00 am.

Thursday December 26, 2019.

Western Reserve Fish and Game Club

1058 West Third Street

Niles, Ohio  44446

Third Street is right off State Route 46 in Niles.

Stop by and have some fun.  Spectators are always welcome.  We should be finished by 2 or 3 pm.

It is supposed to be very foggy in the morning.

All the best,

Slow Mo Dern 

Good Evening:

38 special case, Winchester or Federal primer, 20 grains FFFg or FFG Black Powder (If I was shooting smokeless, 3.0 grains Bullseye) and a 125 grain bullet (sometimes a 158 grain bullet) 

The Tusco Long Riders are in Midvale, Ohio.  We shoot on the 1st Saturday each month.

Your clubs will most likely be the Miami Valley Cowboys in Piqua (https://www.miamivalleycowboys.org/) or The Big Irons Rangers in Middletown, ohio (http://www.bigirons.com/)

Both are excellent clubs.

Piqua has the Ohio State Match over Memorial weekend

Big Irons has Guns of August, on the second weekend of August

Can't wait to meet you!

--Dawg

See this is why I love Ohio cowboys. Jump right in with information and a big welcome! 

I just bought the wife a pair of the MWNN pistols and see loves them. I'm more of a Remington man myself but I have to admit those are some nice shooting irons right out of the box. 

I shoot Cap guns most of the time anymore. 

I like the Navy 51's because they remind me of the Movie guns.

We all are still kids at heart .

We like to pretend to be like our heroes.  :)

Boy thanks for all the responses guys and gals, Turkey where did you purchase them I would like to hold one before I buy?

I actually ordered them from my local store. But the Mrs had handled my 51 navy cap guns and then another shooters MWNN prior to buying them. Most of us are happy to let a new cowboy checkout/test our gear so they can get a feel for what they like before spending money. If you ever plan on coming to the Eastern side of Ohio let me know and I'll be happy to bring them for you to handle.

Nantahala Ned shoots a pair of MWNN on occasion, I have handled them and liked them. I have not shot them. Havent ever seen him on the SASS wire.

Imis

9 hours ago, cab9379 said:

Thank guys and gals for all the responses, who do you recommend in ohio to do work on these pistols once I get a set?

Fellow not far off from your area. Lassiter. Google Tom's single action shop. He doesn't really respond to electric communication so a phone call always works best. Idk if he's done work on that specific make/model but he's certainly highly recommended for smith work of all sorts. He made my Chinese made 87 sing. 

Archived