SASS Wire Forum

Lee Dies... Am I not seeing something???

Cholla

10 minutes ago, Arkalon said:

I use:

https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-quick-change-bushings.html

I have never had a problem.  I remove and replace them in my press on a regular basis. 

And your press is a ??????

4 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

If you have a single stage press with a Lee breach-lock press bushing or Hornady Lock-N-Load press bushing you purchase a die bushing for every die you use on the single stage press.  that way you adjust them once unless you don't buy 2 sets of dies for calibers that use the same dies, 38/357, 40/10mm, 44/44M, 45C/454.  If you use a turret or progressive press buy a tool head for each caliber.  If XL650 you can buy aftermarket tool heads FUW rimmed cartridges which have a spacer that is moved from top to bottom of the toolhead.

He has told us he has A "Lyman" Orange Crusher Press ,,,, So no Go ...

On 11/24/2018 at 10:44 AM, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Folks you all are missing the point,,, He has to change dies for each step as his press is a single stage press.... So he's wanting the dies to keep the adjustment during removal and reinstall........ Re size/Decap ,,,, Flare... Seat/Crimp and possibly Factory Crimp .....

Jabez Cowboy

Then chuck the Lee O-rings and invest in a set of Hornady "Sure-Loc" Lock Rings...

They lock down solid and your die settings won't budge when swapping out dies.

Screenshot_20181125-212207.png

I doubled my lock rings and tightened up. Put the wrench on the bottom one and the whole die turns out with the double nut locked together in place. If you use the Dillon rings and the Dillon wrench it seems almost designed that way. lol

14 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Then chuck the Lee O-rings and invest in a set of Hornady "Sure-Loc" Lock Rings...

They lock down solid and your die settings won't budge when swapping out dies.

Screenshot_20181125-212207.png

I find a hex nut design is better, so you always have a shot at a wrench flat in a tight turret cluster. Favorite there are Lymans with brass set screws.

On November 22, 2018 at 4:19 PM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

You must be missing the O-Ring on yours .

35 years of loading ammo and

I have never had a Lee Die Move on me yet .

Rooster 

I'm with Rooster on this. Been reloading on a RCBS Single stage press with Lee dies since 1979 and never had a lock ring move on me. If you remove the dies by turning the lock nut as Lee tells you to do they won't move on you. 

I have Lee Lock RIngs, They have a set screw, they have to be purchased separately https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-die-accessories/lee-breech-lock-bushing-lock-ring-eliminator

Not cheap at 11$ a piece but I use them on dies I use a lot like 44-40, 223 and .45. The rest I just have multiple o ring lock rings.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:02 AM, Texas Shane said:

I have Lee Lock RIngs, They have a set screw, they have to be purchased separately https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-die-accessories/lee-breech-lock-bushing-lock-ring-eliminator

Not cheap at 11$ a piece but I use them on dies I use a lot like 44-40, 223 and .45. The rest I just have multiple o ring lock rings.

That only works on a Lee breech lock fitting. The lock ring is part of and inseparable from the special breech lock bushing. I received one with my Auto Breech Lock Pro press and use it on my crimp die, which is a little weird, because that it not how a Lee crimp setting is secured, only the die depth for maximum engagement of the post sizing ring. I suppose I could better use it on my seating die. It does at least serve to hold the indexing rod in place, so the crimp station is the spot for it.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Get your Sharpie, and put a mark on the lock ring and the die body for quick reference point.

OLG

Yep, a sharpie will fix that issues asap. 

Yup, shame that Lee doesn't use set screws. Where the dies will be in place for a long period, setting the die and snugging up the lock nut is no biggy, but when used in a hand press for just a few rounds and then changing up to another die for something else, its nice to be able to run the die in to the stop point and have it be right at the outset. You can easily put set screws in your Lee locking nuts. The locking nuts are not hardened and you can drill and tap your locking nut for a 6-32 or 8-32 set screw. Pain, but easily doable. The one here has an 8-32 set screw (set in the widest part of the locking nut)..

RR

Lee die.jpg

6 minutes ago, Roger Rapid said:

Yup, shame that Lee doesn't use set screws. Where the dies will be in place for a long period, setting the die and snugging up the lock nut is no biggy, but when used in a hand press for just a few rounds and then changing up to another die for something else, its nice to be able to run the die in to the stop point and have it be right at the outset. You can easily put set screws in your Lee locking nuts. The locking nuts are not hardened and you can drill and tap your locking nut for a 6-32 or 8-32 set screw. Pain, but easily doable. The one here has an 8-32 set screw (set in the widest part of the locking nut)..

RR

Lee die.jpg

Put a piece of shot under the set screw so you don't damage the die's threads. ;)

Or use a brass set screw, if you can find'em(marine supply house).

OLG

Archived