SASS Wire Forum

Herter's shotshells

Hairtrigger Hayes

Saw a thread a few days ago and wanted to revisit the discussion.  Are these any good?  Cost over reloads is minimal.

I use them in 16 gauge and have never had an issue. You can reload them many, many times.

I've only tried one or two,,,  the 1 1/8 oz ones,,, they didn't shuck well in my skb...

The only time I ever tried them I had the same problem Culpepper.  But that's been a while ago.  May have to try a box or two and experiment.

Shot a bunch of the 1060 foot per second 1 ounce low recoil loads at sporting clays.  Did fine.  Seem to cycle OK in my 97, but I've met others who had problems.

The 16 gauge work fine in my SXS and A5's, but not my M12 or BPS.  Go figure.

I use the Herters in Sporting Clays and Cowboy Clays.  The shot is hard and will break 50 yard crossing birds with no problems.  I have yet to find any of their hulls that will reload reliable I use a Spolar reloader.  Reliability in the SKB's and BSS's is not good with that said each gun is different.  Shotgun Clay is right on with their 1060 FPS loads.  They work real well in Cowboy Clays

Goatneck

I only load BP Shot shell's any more .

Started buying smokeless Herters  12ga a few years back .

Never had a issue with them .

Rooster

i found them dirty , but then im not using them in a few years now that may have improved , i only used them for sporting clays one year a number back now , my 1100 did not like them , 

The first case I bought shucked fine out of both my wife and my SKBs.

The last two cases have had several that have had to be pulled from the chamber.

I have two more cases, and probably will have no more.

They are fine when they shuck and would be great from a 97.

The heads appear to be steel.

I tried two boxes through my SKB (worked over by Johnny Meadows).  I had about 5 or 6 from the 50 stick.  They run great in my 97 though, a bought two cases just to tun in that.  Recoil is light, feels like Winchester feathlights to me.

The 16 gauge work fine in my SXS and A5's, but not my M12 or BPS.  Go figure.

Be interesting to hear EXACTLY why the Herters won't chuck in either 16 or 12 ga's in any shotgun.

A couple of rounds coated with Prussian Blue or a Magic Marker will indicate where the hulls are hanging up.

Anyone want to give it a try and post the results ...  for the good of the order with detail information?

I have no problem with their low recoil shells. They come out of my BSS just fine. I do, however, know folks that do not trust them to shuck out. I don't reload them. The cost was so close to reloading that I bought many cases of them while I could still order them in Ca. Now that internet ammo is hard to get in Ca., I'll just go back to reloading after I run out of them. I don't reload the cases.... I have MANY Remington hulls that I use for that.

Snakebite

Archived