SASS Wire Forum

We need a sticky cartoon thread

On 2/18/2024 at 2:40 PM, Alpo said:

Then, for some reason known only to himself, he legally changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol.

The recording contract he had gave almost total control to the recording company.  He wanted to record things that the company didn't want, but because of his contract he couldn't use another company and record under his name, so he changed it to that symbol.

I called him "The weird character formerly known as Prince."

As an aside, Prince was his given name.  Prince Rogers Nelson.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Genders of nouns. Wonderful stuff.

In Spanish, that policeman over there is masculine - el policia. The police woman standing next to him is also masculine - also el policia. But the police department itself - that is feminine. La policia.

So Andy by himself is masculine - el policia. Barney by himself is also masculine - el policia. But since the two of them form the entirety of the Mayberry Sheriff's Department, when they are standing together they are feminine - la policia.

:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Genders of nouns. Wonderful stuff.

In Spanish, that policeman over there is masculine - el policia. The police woman standing next to him is also masculine - also el policia. But the police department itself - that is feminine. La policia.

So Andy by himself is masculine - el policia. Barney by himself is also masculine - el policia. But since the two of them form the entirety of the Mayberry Sheriff's Department, when they are standing together they are feminine - la policia.

:D

What if it was German?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

What if it was German?

I don't know. I don't speak German. Does Deutsch have masculine and feminine nouns? I thought that was only the Latin languages - Italian Spanish French Portuguese.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I don't know. I don't speak German. Does Deutsch have masculine and feminine nouns? I thought that was only the Latin languages - Italian Spanish French Portuguese.

Der polizer and die polizien male/female

Der male

Die female 

Das neuter

Also the suffix of the noun denotes gender. An er on the end is male and an in is female 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1