SASS Wire Forum

Skilled Labor

Subdeacon Joe

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

And willing to work!:D

For much less $, he'd be done with the project before my contractors can get their protective gear on.

I’ll bet he’s thankful for battery powered equipment.

Basic ingenuity and dexterity meets modern technology. Cool!

He is also a great recycler. Love his biodegradable ladder made from recycled/repurposed materials. Noticed that it is also structurally sound with cross bracing where needed. :D

Obviously non-union worker.

Otherwise, he would be wearing a safety harness, dust mask, hard hat and gloves.   Plus, steel toed boots.

And a co-worker would be at the bottom of the ladder wearing an orange vest, holding a flag in one hand and coffee in the other, and watching the bright orange 'cones' placed properly around the work area.

..........Widder

23 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

I would imagine OSHA would have the heebee jeebees watching this.

Dad was a union cement finisher for 40 years. One job was replacing a bridge deck on a county road over a dry creek bed. 90 degree midwest heat with 100% humidity, 20 guys working in the sun with their shirts off. OSHA shows up and shuts down the project. Since they were working on a bridge designed to go over a water way (which had not had water since it was dammed upstream in the 1940's), it technically could carry water. OSHA made the company go out and buy life jackets for every worker on the bridge, and made them wear them in that heat and humidity. OSHA inspector was lucky he didn't make a "test dive" into a dry creek bed.

Years ago I was running a Bridgeport style milling machine. Just taking a light skim cut on some aluminum. Some guy from the safety office came running into the shop screaming for me to turn off the machine. He then proceeds to tell me I needed a guard that completely surrounds the endmill and extends below the bottom of it. I was so dumb founded I couldn't come up with a reply so I just walked away.

Archived