SASS Wire Forum

Speed Rifle Technique

TN Mongo, SASS #61450

I’m not a bad shooter.  A good stage for me is the low 20s (shooting gunfighter).  Occasionally I can get it into the teens.  I shoot with a couple of other gunfighters who can regularly keep their stages in the teens.  After careful study, I know I’m losing time on the rifle.  My rifle is tuned, short stroked, and has a flat trigger and I’m not wrapping my thumb around the stock.  Some of the guys ahead of me sound like they’re firing “full auto” when there are multiple shots on the target.

Any of you speed rifle guys want to share your techniques?  I see some people that appear to have their trigger finger positioned in such a way that every time they close the lever they hit the trigger almost automatically.  Another fast shooter told me that his finger never goes in the trigger guard until after he levers the rifle.  Any tips on technique would be greatly appreciated.     

What are your times now?

Starting with the rifle on the table, hands not touching the rifle;

1.  How long does it take to fire the first shot?

2. What is the total time for a 10- shot string?

...I mean, if you are already beating me I’ll just be quiet!  ;)

Somewhat fast on rifle, so here's my approach:

I kinda lock my trigger finger in a position that the finger tip does come right back to the trigger as the action closes. The last bit of a nudge with finger tip as soon as I am sure sights are on target is used to complete the trigger pull. 

Some tips from what I do: 

• Don't wait to see if you hit the target.  Be moving on to the next AND levering as soon as you trip the trigger.
  • Don't go ultra light on the hammer spring.  If you have to wait any time at all for the hammer fall, you are burning daylight.  Better to set a light crisp trigger and leave the hammer fall faster.
  • Pull gun back into shoulder very firmly.  Any gun bouncing as you lever is working against you.  Pull cheek down firmly on rifle stock, same reason.
  • Lock your eye on the front sight and don't look for anything else.  Just KNOW where the next target will be and keep focused on the sight.  Let target come to your line of sight as your body pivots and front arm adjusts height to get to the next target. 

Good luck, GJ

J-Bar, I've never timed just my rifle.  I don't own a timer and, because I work full-time yet, I really don't get a chance to practice much with live ammo.

Randy, Wow!  He's very fast.  It appears as though his finger is positioned in such a way that when the lever is closed, the round is headed down range.

Garrison, you hit on one of my biggest early problems.  I know that I waited to see the hit on the target before moving on.  Habits learned from 15 years of shooting silhouette matches are hard to break.  Thanks for your other good tips.

1 hour ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Any of you speed rifle guys want to share your techniques?  I see some people that appear to have their trigger finger positioned in such a way that every time they close the lever they hit the trigger almost automatically.  Another fast shooter told me that his finger never goes in the trigger guard until after he levers the rifle.  Any tips on technique would be greatly appreciated.     

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you and have been asking this same question for years.  I know I take my finger out of the trigger guard as I'm levering after each shot. As the lever closes I bring my finger back in and sort of slap the trigger.  I know this technique can be VERY fast because I've seen VERY fast shooters doing it. What slows me down is my timing.  Sometimes I hit the trigger too soon, sometimes too late. Both cause me to eject live rounds which then leads to reloads with cost time.  And because I'm still thinking about that with my conscious mind instead of just letting it happen that slows me down even more.  Wish I could figure out how to perfect my timing.

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you and have been asking this same question for years.  I know I take my finger out of the trigger guard as I'm levering after each shot. As the lever closes I bring my finger back in and sort of slap the trigger.  I know this technique can be VERY fast because I've seen VERY fast shooters doing it. What slows me down is my timing.  Sometimes I hit the trigger too soon, sometimes too late. Both cause me to eject live rounds which then leads to reloads with cost time.  And because I'm still thinking about that with my conscious mind instead of just letting it happen that slows me down even more.  Wish I could figure out how to perfect my timing.

Perfect timing is actually very simple to achieve. Make trigger contact with enough force to break the shot well before the lever is closed, let the lever safety stop the trigger from being pulled and as soon as the lever closes, the safety will then allow you to finish the trigger pull. Since you already have enough force on the trigger, this happens automatically without thought. 

6 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

Perfect timing is actually very simple to achieve. Make trigger contact with enough force to break the shot well before the lever is closed, let the lever safety stop the trigger from being pulled and as soon as the lever closes, the safety will then allow you to finish the trigger pull. Since you already have enough force on the trigger, this happens automatically without thought. 

That would require two things.  1) Enough PRACTICE (Yeah, like that's actually gonna happen) to learn a new technique. 2) Re-installing my lever safeties.  (Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, whole new can of worms. )

Thanks smokestack for being willing to share.

Jackalope my friend, the motivation of continuing to win beverage side bets from an "old man" has made you stingy about sharing your vast store of knowledge.^_^

Smokestack,

If I counted correctly, I counted 4 pieces of brass in the small frame of the video AFTER your last shot.    Not to shabby, my friend.

I understand you've got a speed 97 video on Facebook.   I'm not on Facebook but if you can email me that video, I'd sure like to see it.

What is you 4 and 6 shot times from certain start positions?

Thanks

..........Widder

12 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Smokestack,

If I counted correctly, I counted 4 pieces of brass in the small frame of the video AFTER your last shot.    Not to shabby, my friend.

I understand you've got a speed 97 video on Facebook.   I'm not on Facebook but if you can email me that video, I'd sure like to see it.

What is you 4 and 6 shot times from certain start positions?

Thanks

..........Widder

I’m just learning to run one. I’m not fast yet. I’ll send you a video in a little bit. 

There is a video on YouTube by Mike Burris titled “Tennessee Mongo”. Is that you?  If so maybe we can offer specific tips rather than guessing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BMFkupTTf2Q

J-BAR,

yes, that is TN Mongo.   He's somewhat faster now and also shoots GF.

In this video you posted, he is also wrapping his thumb around the stock during some of his shots.   I don't think he is doing that now.

..........Widder

The first thing I noticed is your rifle is held too loosely.  Follow Garrison Joe’s tip and get the rifle butt firmly seated into your shoulder and cheek pressed hard onto the buttstock.  And you get a blessing for shooting black powder!  :D

Is there any way to delete a Youtube video? If my self concept wasn't bad enough.  That is the only time I've fired my ROAs and I'm shooting my .44-40 which is not my normal match rifle.  PC revolvers are fun, but being near the bottom of the rankings is not.

Widder, thank you for defending my honor.:wub: 

11 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Is there any way to delete a Youtube video? If my self concept wasn't bad enough.  That is the only time I've fired my ROAs and I'm shooting my .44-40 which is not my normal match rifle.  PC revolvers are fun, but being near the bottom of the rankings is not.

Go to your youtube channel, then Video Manager, check the videos you want to delete/hide and click Actions; which will give you a list of actions to perform.

Capture.PNG.d912d5f16b0d514300204b5ca6aa1679.PNGCapture2.PNG.686d94fcd7199de6f519fa0f30b83666.PNG

2 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Mongo, I like to keep the bad ones, hopefully some day I can look back and see that I've improved.

Randy

Dang Smokestack!!    I can't seem to stop wrapping my thumb back on the stock, always feels like the lever isn't closed. More practice, practice, practice I guess.

On March 1, 2018 at 3:19 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Somewhat fast on rifle, so here's my approach:

I kinda lock my trigger finger in a position that the finger tip does come right back to the trigger as the action closes. The last bit of a nudge with finger tip as soon as I am sure sights are on target is used to complete the trigger pull. 

Some tips from what I do: 

• Don't wait to see if you hit the target.  Be moving on to the next AND levering as soon as you trip the trigger.
  • Don't go ultra light on the hammer spring.  If you have to wait any time at all for the hammer fall, you are burning daylight.  Better to set a light crisp trigger and leave the hammer fall faster.
  • Pull gun back into shoulder very firmly.  Any gun bouncing as you lever is working against you.  Pull cheek down firmly on rifle stock, same reason.
  • Lock your eye on the front sight and don't look for anything else.  Just KNOW where the next target will be and keep focused on the sight.  Let target come to your line of sight as your body pivots and front arm adjusts height to get to the next target. 

Good luck, GJ

These are good points to specially the 3rd one, if you watch Smokestack he is holding the rifle forearm really far forward this keeps it tight into shoulder where it's not going to bounce around. If you hold it close to receiver you never will be able to control rifle very well to run fast.

Also it will take a lot of practice, close big target to get speed up then move out a bit keeping speed up then transferring from target to target, you have to be able to walk before you run.

AO

Archived