SASS Wire Forum

Rural America

Subdeacon Joe

You stop to ask for directions because you are lost and they give them by landmarks and not road names.  As you drive away wondering why you suddenly realize there are no street signs and you haven't seen any for several hours.

In my experience southern Illinois, Iowa, Indiana are much like “the South” Here in the US. Probably more so than the South itself these days. 

In 2005, when I moved to Charlotte, it was a long time before I actually met someone born and raised in Charlotte (the city of). Everyone was from “up north”.

Once got directions to someplace from my uncle.  They went something like this:  drive down this road for about 5 miles.  Turn left at the crossroads where the church used to be before it burned down.

Had no problem finding that spot as the cemetery was still there and it was obvious that it had been a church cemetery.

Central rural Illinois is the same, you would think you were in any state but Illinois. Drivers wave at each other. We are in no hurry and will follow a slow moving farm vehicles for miles, enjoying the scenery and actually listening to the radio. We help each other out, in plowing, planting, harvesting, and bringing the crop to grain elevators. Go on vacations, and someone will mow your lawn and take care of gardens, your livestock, and your mail,

Funny story. I lived on 700 Rd. I needed to get my hay into barn, over 5000 bales and called up some friends to help next day since there was rain in forecast in 3 days coming. Well, with no notice, the state changed all the road numbers, mine was now 7000, no longer 700. Next day, no show on those that had promised to help. About 2PM cars started showing up. Seems they all drove south trying to get to 700 Rd. They knew I didn't live that far out and stopped the convoy at the 1200 Rd to finally ask for direction when they discovered what had happened over the last few days with change in numbers. How many city folks would go out of their way to help like Rural folks do?  MT

Once was getting directions to a piano tuning way out in the country.   Part of the directions were:

"Turn right at the corner of the field with the spotted cow in it".....  

(Hopfully the cow would be near that corner so I could see her!!!!)

You know you are in Kansas because all the dust roads run either North-South or East-West. There are no curves. This way John Deere's Biggest combine, The S690 with 616C Corn Head, never has to make a turn. Lock the steering wheel in and let it go.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

In my experience southern Illinois, Iowa, Indiana are much like “the South” Here in the US. Probably more so than the South itself these days. 

In 2005, when I moved to Charlotte, it was a long time before I actually met someone born and raised in Charlotte (the city of). Everyone was from “up north”.

"UP North" means........ Asheville.

;)

..........Widder

On 1/2/2018 at 6:46 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

You stop to ask for directions because you are lost and they give them by landmarks and not road names.  As you drive away wondering why you suddenly realize there are no street signs and you haven't seen any for several hours.

That's the only way I can give directions in the area where I live. 

The problem is, many of my 'landmarks' are useless to anyone but me. 

I turn left at the intersection where the 2 Mustangs had that bad wreck back in '86 and go down past where So and So's Momma and Daddy used to live to where the old rock wall used to be to make another turn to where they paved that old dirt road that ran between the soy bean fields (which are subdivisions now) and hang a right.

I grew up around here and there weren't any road signs.  We navigated by landmarks.  Right after I moved away, Alabama started the 911 system  and the county came out and put up signs with road numbers on all of the roads.  When I moved back over a decade later, I didn't need to know the numbers to move around, so I've never bothered to learn them.  The only road numbers that I'm sure of are the road I live on and the 2 roads at each end of it. 

On 1/2/2018 at 8:25 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

1) my mother-in-law was a Charlotte native.  Predates 2005 by a long shot.

2) don't get me started.

On 1/2/2018 at 9:44 AM, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

"UP North" means........ Asheville.

No, it don't.

BTW, Asheville is out west.

55 minutes ago, MizPete said:

1) my mother-in-law was a Charlotte native.  Predates 2005 by a long shot.

2) don't get me started.

I apparently didn't run onto your mother-in-law :D

I worked for an electric utility “up north” in New York State. While out on a survey of one of the lines, I heard the radio dispatcher give directions to a crew to find a small outage.

“You go down to Barky Delgarions garage, turn left and when you come to the big rock that’s been split in half turn right. They are about two hay fields further on, on the right.”

That is a direct quote as I used them to find the outage myself, and Barky Delgarion had been out of business for about 12 years.

Archived