Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

16 Year Old Shooter Looking for Starter Set


Recommended Posts

Hi! I am a 16 year old from Minnesota looking to get into SASS. I own few guns and any purchase would be to my Father, if you do oblige, we can talk details later.

The standard operating procedure in this case, I assume, would be to use family guns. However, the entirety of my family, up until me, has been very anti gun. I have wiggled and worked my 

way to the point where I can now purchase firearms, and shoot them with my fathers supervision. This means there are no guns for me to use, and I am looking for a starter set, preferably from someone getting out of the sport. 

I am willing to spend 1500 dollars or so, as that is all that is possible for a teen in high school without doing unfavorable things.

I work very hard, but it is hard to find enough time to make this money, especially with expensive hobbies.

I am looking for (preferably)

 

Any pair of .357 revolvers, preferably gunfighter legal.

Any shotgun that is 12 gauge and SASS legal.

Any lever action that is in .357/.38 special and SASS legal.

 

Any replies would be great, if you meet these criteria or are close enough, I'd love to talk.

 

ADVICE ALSO APPRECIATED

 

Have a great day and thanks!

"Buck"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wish I could help you out.  Being a minor just doesn't seem fair sometimes.  I remember being a minor and having a lot of fun with a 36cal C&B revolver.  Only regret is I sold it when I turned 21.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the dance .

There are a lot of Opinions on what to buy or Not to buy .

I personally own serval sets of guns to play any Category I feel like playing this week.

Anything you buy will need some type of tunning .

Action work or just springs .

Yes 73's or 66's and Marlins are about as fast as you can buy.

With short stroke kit's installed .

 

The Rossi 92 will serve 90% of the shooters very well.

Probably the least expensive gun to buy.

And Will need some spring work and tunning right out of the box.

 

There are many Videos on YouTube to help with that .

Or Stevegunz.com the 92 specialist has a great DVD,

that will teach you all you will ever need to know about the 92 rifle.

 

Your best bet would be to buy 38/357 guns .

In Ruger NM Vaquero's 

They are built like tanks and last you a lifetime.

 

This leaves you down to a shotgun .

Double trigger Stoeger's are about as enxpencive as you should go.

And that will last you a very long time .

When your are fast enough to move up in your shotgun or rifle 

There will always be someone willing to buy tuned starter guns.

 

Some say buy once and cry once.

And buy the very best .

 

I say at 16 years old and on a 1500 budget .

A Rossi 92 .

A good used set of Ruger 357's

And a Stoeguer 12ga .

Is all doable.

Even some money to buy some used or enxpencive leather .

 

Making a gun cart is easy peasy .

Then you will need a good enxpencive loader .

Like a Lee Touret loader and some Lee dies.

And  Lee load all shotgun loader.

Or just buy shotgun if your shooting smokeless powder.

God bless.

Rooster .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks all!

 

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Go to a Match with your dad before you buy anything. Introduce yourself and let them know your interest and background.

I've been to a match and loved it even though I was just watching.

 

 

48 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Welcome to the dance .

There are a lot of Opinions on what to buy or Not to buy .

I personally own serval sets of guns to play any Category I feel like playing this week.

Anything you buy will need some type of tunning .

Action work or just springs .

Yes 73's or 66's and Marlins are about as fast as you can buy.

With short stroke kit's installed .

 

The Rossi 92 will serve 90% of the shooters very well.

Probably the least expensive gun to buy.

And Will need some spring work and tunning right out of the box.

 

There are many Videos on YouTube to help with that .

Or Stevegunz.com the 92 specialist has a great DVD,

that will teach you all you will ever need to know about the 92 rifle.

 

Your best bet would be to buy 38/357 guns .

In Ruger NM Vaquero's 

They are built like tanks and last you a lifetime.

 

This leaves you down to a shotgun .

Double trigger Stoeger's are about as enxpencive as you should go.

And that will last you a very long time .

When your are fast enough to move up in your shotgun or rifle 

There will always be someone willing to buy tuned starter guns.

 

Some say buy once and cry once.

And buy the very best .

 

I say at 16 years old and on a 1500 budget .

A Rossi 92 .

A good used set of Ruger 357's

And a Stoeguer 12ga .

Is all doable.

Even some money to buy some used or enxpencive leather .

 

Making a gun cart is easy peasy .

Then you will need a good enxpencive loader .

Like a Lee Touret loader and some Lee dies.

And  Lee load all shotgun loader.

Or just buy shotgun if your shooting smokeless powder.

God bless.

Rooster .

Ive been looking for used Vaqueros all over and can barely find them, and by the time I do they are already bought up.

where would you guys recommend I look?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll put in my .02 cents worth.....  buy what you can afford.  I know I'm in the minority with this one... but shoot the guns right out the box.  Folks will say you need them worked on "slicked up" parts changed etc etc....   Yes all that is well and good but its not needed and will cost a small fortune unless you now how to do it yourself and even then parts will cost.  Just keep it simple at first and have fun.   You can always have things done to your guns later or tinker with them yourself.    You'll still need to buy ammo unless you start reloading which is more money to pay out. 

 

gunbroker is a good place to check for used guns.  I've bought some off there with good results.   I've bought several sets of pistols from Barleycorn.  He's a great guy to buy from.  Sometimes you can find a used guns that's already worked on but from what I've seen, the price asked for a worked on gun exceeds what you can buy a used gun that's not been touched.  Personally, that's what I'd rather anyway.   Ask at the club you went to see if anyone has something for sale.  People are always trading or selling. 

 

http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?/profile/82906-barleycorn-outfitters/

 

anyway, good luck, be safe and HAVE FUN!!!!   :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, 40Chev said:

Where did you intend to shoot in MN?

Probably with/at the Cedar Valley Vigilantes in Morristown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just come on down, there are usually spare guns enough to go around, someone might have or know of some for sale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Buck i think I've seen you at morristown im the one that normally has two little kids with.   

 

  Anyway. Pm me your contact info. Or let me know when your coming. I'll supply you with guns until you get your own. I have leather that should work as well. 

 

  I Shoot out of morristown as well as kimball. 

 

  I have a few beginner guns that are for sale as well.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 40Chev said:

Just come on down, there are usually spare guns enough to go around, someone might have or know of some for sale.

Great!

Are you by any chance in contact with someone I could call this week to ask some questions about attending?

thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You don't have to buy the perfect guns first time out and they don't have to slick right out of the gate. Remember we don't buy guns, we just rent them. You can leverage whatever you start with into something else down the line, trading up as you go. You've got a long time to find your way to your perfect guns. You've got to start somewhere so stick to your budget, or as close as you can. The opportunity to keep spending more and more on this sport will never end. Trying new guns over time is part of the fun.

 

And save all of your brass. I carried all of mine around for more than ten years before I started reloading it.

 

Welcome!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PM me or Evil with your questions, also there are contacts on "affiliated clubs" page, just click MN and it has a link to CVV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Buck i think I've seen you at morristown im the one that normally has two little kids with.   

 

  Anyway. Pm me your contact info. Or let me know when your coming. I'll supply you with guns until you get your own. I have leather that should work as well. 

 

  I Shoot out of morristown as well as kimball. 

 

  I have a few beginner guns that are for sale as well.  

Evil

You are the "little kid" - your children are young adults.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Buck McCram said:

Thanks all!

 

I've been to a match and loved it even though I was just watching.

 

 

Ive been looking for used Vaqueros all over and can barely find them, and by the time I do they are already bought up.

where would you guys recommend I look?

Post right here in the Classifieds.

Lost of Cowboys have stuff they dont us anymore.

And if you post looking for used ?

You will get a response back .

Rooster .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Your just jealous i still pass for 18 when i shave. 

 

  Buck i sent you my number feel free to call or text.  I started out with a lot less than 1500 dollars so your off to a good start. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will try to get there this Saturday. My brother may have a recital that I'll try to drag my dad from.

I'll have an update sometime later this evening most likely.

 

Evil, what is a good time to call for you?

Don't want my teenage schedule to interfere with a realistic one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

You don't have to buy the perfect guns first time out and they don't have to slick right out of the gate. Remember we don't buy guns, we just rent them. You can leverage whatever you start with into something else down the line, trading up as you go. You've got a long time to find your way to your perfect guns. You've got to start somewhere so stick to your budget, or as close as you can. The opportunity to keep spending more and more on this sport will never end. Trying new guns over time is part of the fun.

 

And save all of your brass. I carried all of mine around for more than ten years before I started reloading it.

 

Welcome!

Thanks!

Ill keep in mind the brass, I have a grandpa who I think would be happy to reload or at least teach me until I can get my own stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good to see a teenager excited by out game.  Minnesota was part of the Wild West.

$1500 can get you to shooting.

Rossi 1892 will run $400 Good/used.

An H&R 12 's single shot can be run faster many expect and can be found for $100.

The cheapest good pistols would be Blackhawks for $400 each.  Not GF legal, but you can shoot two-handed in competition.  GF should a goal to work towards.

That leaves and reloading.  A Lee anniversary kit and does will run $200.  Reloading is necessary to make a rifle reliable.  Reloading will save about $50 per match.

A local club should let a new shooter stage pistols on a table, so you wait a while to decide on leather.

Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Good to see a teenager excited by out game.  Minnesota was part of the Wild West.

$1500 can get you to shooting.

Rossi 1892 will run $400 Good/used.

An H&R 12 's single shot can be run faster many expect and can be found for $100.

The cheapest good pistols would be Blackhawks for $400 each.  Not GF legal, but you can shoot two-handed in competition.  GF should a goal to work towards.

That leaves and reloading.  A Lee anniversary kit and does will run $200.  Reloading is necessary to make a rifle reliable.  Reloading will save about $50 per match.

A local club should let a new shooter stage pistols on a table, so you wait a while to decide on leather.

Good luck!

I was looking at Pietta 1873s just recently, and was wondering if those were GF legal and/or good for SASS in general, if I could get the expert opinions from you all that would make my evening. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Buck McCram said:

I was looking at Pietta 1873s just recently, and was wondering if those were GF legal and/or good for SASS in general, if I could get the expert opinions from you all that would make my evening. 

YEP !

That will work for Any Category !

God bless.

Rooster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ranger Clayton Conagher #43872 said:

I got a pair of these in .357 for my daughter off GunBroker for $350 each.  Great guns!

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS-LG8-Uu08

I'll keep this in mind. 

Its really whatever I can get a set of for cheap.

I saw a nice set of tuned pistols, rifle, and a shotgun a couple days ago for 1400 but it was snatched up before I could get my parents okay.

As you can tell, I have a hard time waiting, and always think the good deal will be the last.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the sport!

 

as mentioned above reloading is almost a must as the cost of store-bought ammo really adds up.  

I cast my own bullets and figure about 8¢ each; that comes out to just under $10 for the cartridge ammo and, call it $6 for a box of shotgun shells--I reload them also but to fine tune the recoil vs. saving $$.

 

So you're looking at around $16 + match fee for each time you shoot.  

 

there are places that will take your empty brass and reload it cheaper than buying store bought

 

like others said go to a match and ASK QUESTIONS, we're all ready and willing to loan guns and ammo and give advice

 

You're just a little north of Houston so inviting you to this Saturday's match may not be too helpful

 

cheyenne

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Welcome to the sport!

 

as mentioned above reloading is almost a must as the cost of store-bought ammo really adds up.  

I cast my own bullets and figure about 8¢ each; that comes out to just under $10 for the cartridge ammo and, call it $6 for a box of shotgun shells--I reload them also but to fine tune the recoil vs. saving $$.

 

So you're looking at around $16 + match fee for each time you shoot.  

 

there are places that will take your empty brass and reload it cheaper than buying store bought

 

like others said go to a match and ASK QUESTIONS, we're all ready and willing to loan guns and ammo and give advice

 

You're just a little north of Houston so inviting you to this Saturday's match may not be too helpful

 

cheyenne

You were right about the match invite, but otherwise your advice was very helpful.

I really appreciate all the help im getting, not quite used to this friendly of a climate online!

Is buying cast bullets better than a buying a mold and casting my own? I have the facilities to melt lead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Buck McCram said:

You were right about the match invite, but otherwise your advice was very helpful.

I really appreciate all the help im getting, not quite used to this friendly of a climate online!

Is buying cast bullets better than a buying a mold and casting my own? I have the facilities to melt lead.

 

Yep.... you'll save a bundle if you cast you're own.   That being said unless you have a cheap or free source for lead, it can still add up.  You'll need to get a sizer for the bullets you make as well.  

I used to cast my own but stopped years ago.  It's very time consuming on top of everything else you'll be doing.  I still cast my own round balls for my cap and ball pistols and my muzzleloaders.  

I think you're getting ahead of yourself my friend!   :)

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

buying bullets and reloading your cases is what many people do.  You still save a bunch of $$.  

respectfully think about this:

You'll be getting three different types of guns that each have a learning curve

Shoot SASS stages with the acronyms (Nevada Sweep, double tap, SASS default position, etc) and how to transition from one to another.

All the SASS rules to learn and understand   (things like "a miss can't cause a procedural" and "shoot where it was")

clothing what, where to get, pricing

and reloading if you go that route

so adding casting bullets right off the bat is more than you might want to start out with.  

you can always start casting down the road.

 

Of course I find enjoyment is both reloading and casting along with SASS so it just depends on how much fun you want to have at the beginning :D

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

buying bullets and reloading your cases is what many people do.  You still save a bunch of $$.  

respectfully think about this:

You'll be getting three different types of guns that each have a learning curve

Shoot SASS stages with the acronyms (Nevada Sweep, double tap, SASS default position, etc) and how to transition from one to another.

All the SASS rules to learn and understand   (things like "a miss can't cause a procedural" and "shoot where it was")

clothing what, where to get, pricing

and reloading if you go that route

so adding casting bullets right off the bat is more than you might want to start out with.  

you can always start casting down the road.

 

Of course I find enjoyment is both reloading and casting along with SASS so it just depends on how much fun you want to have at the beginning :D

 

 

 

 

2 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

 

Yep.... you'll save a bundle if you cast you're own.   That being said unless you have a cheap or free source for lead, it can still add up.  You'll need to get a sizer for the bullets you make as well.  

I used to cast my own but stopped years ago.  It's very time consuming on top of everything else you'll be doing.  I still cast my own round balls for my cap and ball pistols and my muzzleloaders.  

I think you're getting ahead of yourself my friend!   :)

 

 

 

The only reason I brought up casting is because I cast my own lead/aluminum figurines and already have experience. However, I understand and appreciate the knowledge that I have a lot on my plate at the moment. Would you guys buy a press or buy preloaded from someone with one for the first bit of shooting?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Buy a press.  They are very durable and can often be found at estate sales or on internet auction sites.  However buy some loaded ammo to get yourself started.  I will gift you a set of Mexican loop holsters if you want them.  I no longer use them.  They are not ideal for CAS but would get you started.  With a tool belt from Home Depot you could get started.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Buying from a fellow cowboy has several problems.  

first, there is the problem of liability.  what happens if your gun is damaged or worse yet you or a bystander is hurt from a faulty round?  Does the reloader have insurance for this?  probably not

There is a legal problem in that he doesn't have a federal licence to manufacture ammo--even if he GIVES you the ammo.  You can't buy the stuff and let him load it for free.  

If  you're lucky enough you can find someone who will teach you reloading and let you use their equipment.  You provide the components and labor and then you're OK.  Great way to see what's out there and save $$

 

Now the folks that take your cases and reload should have this licence.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You said you already can cast so you are a much closer to casting your own

You can get a Lee mold and a Lee sizing kit that goes on a single stage press to size the bullets.  Lee kit also comes with some tumble lube that will work

down the road you can get a sizer/luber or go to powder coating which is another off-shoot of casting.  You tumble the bullets in a #5 plastic container (the number on the bottom inside the triangle) and then bake in a toaster oven for 10 at 400°  no lube needed 

but again something to tackle down the trail

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Buy a press.  They are very durable and can often be found at estate sales or on internet auction sites.  However buy some loaded ammo to get yourself started.  I will gift you a set of Mexican loop holsters if you want them.  I no longer use them.  They are not ideal for CAS but would get you started.  With a tool belt from Home Depot you could get started.

I would be more than happy to take that leather off your hands, but I wouldn't feel comfortable not giving something in return.

I have a couple tool belts, my only concern with those is keeping the 170 degree rule in place without a good sturdy place to put the sidearm. I am no expert so please correct me if I'm w

2 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Buying from a fellow cowboy has several problems.  

first, there is the problem of liability.  what happens if your gun is damaged or worse yet you or a bystander is hurt from a faulty round?  Does the reloader have insurance for this?  probably not

There is a legal problem in that he doesn't have a federal licence to manufacture ammo--even if he GIVES you the ammo.  You can't buy the stuff and let him load it for free.  

If  you're lucky enough you can find someone who will teach you reloading and let you use their equipment.  You provide the components and labor and then you're OK.  Great way to see what's out there and save $$

 

Now the folks that take your cases and reload should have this licence.

 

 

I do have a distant grandpa who I see occasionally who may teach me to reload as he does it himself. My thought there is that I rarely see him and would find it a pity to spend hours in his basement instead of doing things with the rest of our family.

Just something for me to mull over I guess.

I would have to assume gunbroker or craigslist would be my only option as I live in the city and it would be a needle in the haystack to find a press at a sale.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You will need a press.

Single Stage are usually the least expensive and you are trading saving $$ for labor.  

 

I started out with a progressive but they are more expensive and some are better than others.  Also the progressives don't lend themselves to be used with the Lee Sizing kit

 

Folks on the wire have been using single stages forever and really like them.  Me, being lazy, appreciate the production rates of the progressives.  Again money will figure in on this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.