SASS Wire Forum

16 Year Old Shooter Looking for Starter Set

Check Craigs List or when you go out the the SASS match ask around.  

Many folks are willing to sell their starter gear so they can fund a newer gadget with more bells and whistles 

Also check the SASS Wire Classified as I've seen presses and such for sale on and off.

You won't find everything in a day, or a week and maybe not a year but it will come 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Check Craigs List or when you go out the the SASS match ask around.  

Many folks are willing to sell their starter gear so they can fund a newer gadget with more bells and whistles 

Also check the SASS Wire Classified as I've seen presses and such for sale on and off.

You won't find everything in a day, or a week and maybe not a year but it will come 

I'm going to a match this weekend, and will ask around and try some guns hopefully. What should I look for in a press?

Thanks,

"Buck"

I'm going to keep this to single stage presses for cost reasons

(also remember you will need a set of dies in your caliber--I think you were going to use the same in rifle/pistol which is a great idea)

cheapest on the list is the "C" press.  https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjxx7X7_pzUAhUGeSYKHUVPAY4QjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FLee-Reloading-Press-Md-90045%2Fdp%2FB002SF4X5I&psig=AFQjCNHZgKIA9YG5XwjDYGkeAzwTOhaIAw&ust=1496418359328923

I grew up with one and my Dad and I loaded all types of ammo with it.

Be Careful as two companies are putting their own type of die threads in many of their machines.  You have to buy bushings that go on the dies and then the bushing/die combo fits into the oversized adapter on the press.  It makes it quick to change out dies but again there is a cost factor for the bushings

For a bit more money you can get an "O" press.  They pretty much remove any flexing concern you might run into with the "C" press

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjtyYLYgJ3UAhXEbiYKHexBAmoQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fleeprecision.com%2Fclassic-cast-press.html&psig=AFQjCNF3G3tg2fGF5cvqgZRB2I23Y3HTIg&ust=1496418794621019

I personally like these and use mine for my .45-70 reloading.  

Lee presses are usually the least expensive with Hornady and RCBS (painted green) going up in price.  All will do a great job for the reloaded

TBC

2 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I'm going to keep this to single stage presses for cost reasons

(also remember you will need a set of dies in your caliber--I think you were going to use the same in rifle/pistol which is a great idea)

cheapest on the list is the "C" press.  https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjxx7X7_pzUAhUGeSYKHUVPAY4QjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FLee-Reloading-Press-Md-90045%2Fdp%2FB002SF4X5I&psig=AFQjCNHZgKIA9YG5XwjDYGkeAzwTOhaIAw&ust=1496418359328923

I grew up with one and my Dad and I loaded all types of ammo with it.

Be Careful as two companies are putting their own type of die threads in many of their machines.  You have to buy bushings that go on the dies and then the bushing/die combo fits into the oversized adapter on the press.  It makes it quick to change out dies but again there is a cost factor for the bushings

For a bit more money you can get an "O" press.  They pretty much remove any flexing concern you might run into with the "C" press

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjtyYLYgJ3UAhXEbiYKHexBAmoQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fleeprecision.com%2Fclassic-cast-press.html&psig=AFQjCNF3G3tg2fGF5cvqgZRB2I23Y3HTIg&ust=1496418794621019

I personally like these and use mine for my .45-70 reloading.  

Lee presses are usually the least expensive with Hornady and RCBS (painted green) going up in price.  All will do a great job for the reloaded

TBC

This is very useful, thank you! I really appreciate all the advice, as I am obviously new:D

These companies do make reloading press kits but unless you need everything that comes with them they're cost isn't worth it.  Check out the kits' contents to see what I mean.

You can use powder dippers https://www.midwayusa.com/product/943305/lee-improved-powder-measure-kit but I think an actual powder measure would be a good idea.  I use the dippers for my brother's black powder shotgun loads and have use them for smokeless as well

Reloading isn't rocket science and you can learn a great deal spending a few hours with your grandfather.  Hands on is the way to learn this vs. reading about it.

8 minutes ago, Buck McCram said:

This is very useful, thank you! I really appreciate all the advice, as I am obviously new:D

Buck, everyone was new at one time so no judging here!   I've been reloading since about 1978 and I still learn things along the way.  Most of my guns have never had a factory round fired through them.   I started with a single stage then a turret style till about two years ago when I got my first progressive press (Dillon 650).  Single stage presses are great and will get the job done.  I still use mine for my 45/70 Sharps. 

Keep asking questions...  :)   And the things Cheyenne is saying is good info.   

A good place to look for used reloading equipment is at castboolits

Castboolits.gunloads.com

You can browse the swappin & sellin section and see what's available plus get an idea what used stuff is going for. There's always new posts with different items and the other threads are entertaining and for the most part informative!

3 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

These companies do make reloading press kits but unless you need everything that comes with them they're cost isn't worth it.  Check out the kits' contents to see what I mean.

You can use powder dippers https://www.midwayusa.com/product/943305/lee-improved-powder-measure-kit but I think an actual powder measure would be a good idea.  I use the dippers for my brother's black powder shotgun loads and have use them for smokeless as well

Reloading isn't rocket science and you can learn a great deal spending a few hours with your grandfather.  Hands on is the way to learn this vs. reading about it.

Thank you so much for all the info, you probably wrote more helping me than I do for my school final essays!

I'll ask around and I'm sure I'll have questions before long. :P

5 minutes ago, clum553946 said:

A good place to look for used reloading equipment is at castboolits

Castboolits.gunloads.com

You can browse the swappin & sellin section and see what's available plus get an idea what used stuff is going for. There's always new posts with different items and the other threads are entertaining and for the most part informative!

Thanks, I'll make sure to take a look!

"Buck"

Buck, you discuss reloading with your grandpa and you may find lots of memories that might other wise not come up. To pass something you enjoy on to a new family generation can really be exciting.

Good luck in your search to cowboy shooting.

Numa

On 5/30/2017 at 9:45 PM, Buck McCram said:

I was looking at Pietta 1873s just recently, and was wondering if those were GF legal and/or good for SASS in general, if I could get the expert opinions from you all that would make my evening. 

On 5/31/2017 at 5:29 AM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

YEP !

That will work for Any Category !

God bless.

Rooster.

Except for Frontiersman, and Classic Cowboy too, if he's set on .38/.357 caliber. ;)

$1500 is a tight budget.

Uberti Hombre .357's can be found under $400, new - I just did a quick search and found them for as little as $389. A Rossi '92 can be had for a smidge under $500, even less used, and a 12g Stevens 311 can be had for under $200, used. There's one on Gunbroker right now with a starting bid of $195, no reserve, and no bids yet. That all comes to $1473 + shipping & transfer fees.

7 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Except for Frontiersman, and Classic Cowboy too, if he's set on .38/.357 caliber. ;)

$1500 is a tight budget.

Uberti Hombre .357's can be found under $400, new - I just did a quick search and found them for as little as $389. A Rossi '92 can be had for a smidge under $500, even less used, and a 12g Stevens 311 can be had for under $200, used. There's one on Gunbroker right now with a starting bid of $195, no reserve, and no bids yet. That all comes to $1473 + shipping & transfer fees.

The 1500 figure comes mostly from what I can make in one summer in  conjunction with the money I have, as well as what I have seen complete sets going for when people get out of the sport.

i doubt I can respond fast enough, as these are usually snatched up by experienced shooters to resell :(

10 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You should send a PM to jericho_40 He has offered a pair of Uberti .38 5 1/2 inch Conversion's open tops with post sight's to Cassalong Hopidy.

If CH doesn't take them they are a good price for pistols and holsters.

I sent him a pm, I hope he sees it just in case I can try some and see if I want them.

Its hard when you have to scrounge for deal, especially on the Internet where a good one is gone so fast

Thanks!

"Buck"

I have a heavy duty single stage press you can have for shipping. It is an older Herter's #3. I really like them as they are bulletproof, which is why I have 4, and don't really need that many. 

28 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I have a heavy duty single stage press you can have for shipping. It is an older Herter's #3. I really like them as they are bulletproof, which is why I have 4, and don't really need that many. 

That would be great, how much were you thinking?

Let me box it up and find out the exact price.

17 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Let me box it up and find out the exact price.

If at any time you change your mind, that's totally fine. I'm not expecting handouts, so I'll only take it if there's something I can give in return!:D

Thanks 

"Buck"

Hi Buck. I have a pair of used uberti 38s with 5 1/2 barrels. They are in very nice condition. I bought them to pass on to a new shooter. $850 shipped to your FFL for the pair. They appear to have very little use

MCJ

2 minutes ago, Medicine Creek Johnny said:

Hi Buck. I have a pair of used uberti 38s with 5 1/2 barrels. They are in very nice condition. I bought them to pass on to a new shooter. $850 shipped to your FFL for the pair. They appear to have very little use

MCJ

If you can hold onto them for a couple weeks, I'm going to some more matches to try guns etc.

I am very interested, but I don't want to make snap decisions.

Thanks

"Buck"

It's not a handout, It's an investment in our future gun rights. My son is in Boy Scouts here in the Silicon Valley part of California. It just makes me fear for our future rights when I drive the boys to camp-outs. We get to talking about shooting,and some of these boys think they have shot a lot when they get to shoot a whole box of 50 .22's! Not their fault, it's their parents, but at least they let them shoot. I have only found 1 other parent who owns a gun, the boys only shoot at Boy Scout camps or the local youth shoots at the gun club. When my son tells them he has shot thousands of rounds of .22's they are shocked. It wasn't that way when I grew up, even here in California. Nice to see a boy more interested in the shooting sports instead of video games.

3 minutes ago, Medicine Creek Johnny said:

I can possibly also get them delivered to A CVV shoot

How would this work?

Just asking logistically, I'm not super smart.

4 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

It's not a handout, It's an investment in our future gun rights. My son is in Boy Scouts here in the Silicon Valley part of California. It just makes me fear for our future rights when I drive the boys to camp-outs. We get to talking about shooting,and some of these boys think they have shot a lot when they get to shoot a whole box of 50 .22's! Not their fault, it's their parents, but at least they let them shoot. I have only found 1 other parent who owns a gun, the boys only shoot at Boy Scout camps or the local youth shoots at the gun club. When my son tells them he has shot thousands of rounds of .22's they are shocked. It wasn't that way when I grew up, even here in California. Nice to see a boy more interested in the shooting sports instead of video games.

I've been having the same kind of troubles with other kids my age, especially living in the city. A lot of kids have a serious negative idea of shooting, but I've turned a few! Since I can't drive and ranges require someone under 18 to have a parent present, I'm lucky if I get to shoot (outside of weekly trap) twice a month. My parents are tolerating but not super supportive as neither of them shoot or grew up shooting. This reception from all of you warms my heart.

Thanks!

"Buck"

I have a friend who is the match director there who I see about once a month. They would still need to be transferred thru a MN FFL license holder. He would prolly know someone who would

MCJ

Buck,

I know that you specifically asked about a .38/.357 setup, and the answers that you've received are excellent. If you will permit, I would like to throw out another option as a sort of "Devil's Advocate". Have you considered at all starting with black powder? Allow me to offer some options to you:

1. A pair of good cap'n'ball revolvers in .36 caliber - Yes,you can go to larger calibers like .44's, and if you do, the mighty Ruger Old Army is about as good as it gets. There are also many excellent repro revolvers available in .44, usually made in Italy and distributed in the US. All of the major Cowboy firearm suppliers offer Cap'n'ball guns as well as the usual cartridge guns that you can find.

My reason for recommending the .36 is two-fold; first, you can get copies of the excellent, natural-pointing 1851 Colt Navy (still one of the most comfortable guns to shoot and the handle design is identical in feel to the 1873 Colt SAA), and second, as you develop as a shooter you can get Kirst cartridge conversion cylinder kits that will allow you to fire .38 Long Colt or .38 Special. You can load both of those with a Lee Load-all or Lyman tong tool and use black powder loaded with a dipper by volume. You'll have a blast shooting the guns loaded either way, and the cloud of powder smoke will definitely let folks know you were there. I have seen used 1851 go for as little as $150 apiece, and there are some on GunAuction.com right now with bids in the $90-$140 range. You can also go to DixieGunworks.com for about the widest selection around and black powder revolvers can be shipped directly to you without a firearms license. Any handgun that you get will still require some tuning and new springs, so that's the same as your .38/.357's. You can have a great time with the old smoke wagons and you can get tons of accessories from Dixie. You can also get a small 2-cavity pistol mold that looks just like one of  the "real" ones that you should be able to handle with no problem if you are used to casting figures (I cast toy soldiers and bullets pretty much interchangeably). Just remember, alloy for your figures and pure lead for your bullets.

2. A rifle or carbine in .44 caliber. Probably the ideal carbine if you want to stay reasonably historical would be a Spencer repro in .44 Russian, but they are costly. A good option would be a Yellow Boy 1866 chambered for .44 Special (I think Cimarron can still get these from Uberti), but again, even a used one won't be real cheap. An 1873 could obviously work, also in .44 Special, but you don't find them often in that caliber. It won't look as historical, but you can always get a used Rossi 1892 carbine in .44 Special/magnum. Heck the Duke used 1892's in most of his western movies regardless of the specific era. Here's the great thing about all of the .44's that I mentioned - they are all the same case and bullet, just different lengths. They are extremely easy to re-load and you can again use the dipper method and load with black. All it takes is a set of Lee dies for the press you're getting (you can also get a .38 die set instead of the Lee Load-all kit) and you are set for handgun and rifle/carbine. I know for a fact that Rossi's can be found inexpensively, I have one of the original Brazilian Rossi's with the "mystery wood" in .44 that I would sell for $350 with shipping included. I also did a quick net search and there are a lot of Rossi's available with new ones going for around $489 plus shipping. Of course you could get the Rossi in .38/.357 and have a "matched set" once you add the Kirst kits to your 1851 Navies, I just love shooting .44's (bigger boom+bigger smoke).

3. For  a shotgun  to go with this setup an outside hammer double would be ideal, although I doubt anyone would say anything if you had to go with a hammerless. Used 12 ga. doubles without hammers can be found all over the place, including yard sales, flea markets and farm auctions. Also, virtually every pawn shop in America has at least one or two 12's. IMHO, if you spend a few extra dollars up front for a set of brass shotshells, available from several suppliers, then you can load your shotgun loads completely by hand. Lee sells a kit for this with a powder and a shot dipper, you use a piece of turned wooden dowel seat your primers, and the same dowel to compress your powder charge under a wad, then dip your shot, compress it slightly and top with more wad, then seal the top with a light coat of parafin. Voila! You are good to go, and black powder is excellent for this as well.

These are just my thoughts and opinions on another way to go Buck, the same ones that I used to teach my Son many years ago, and will be teaching my Grandson (at least the pistols and probably the shotgun). Whatever you decide to do, go for the fun of the sport and the cameraderie and you'll be doing this for a long time. Happy Trails from Old Bill

3 minutes ago, burlesonbill said:

Buck,

I know that you specifically asked about a .38/.357 setup, and the answers that you've received are excellent. If you will permit, I would like to throw out another option as a sort of "Devil's Advocate". Have you considered at all starting with black powder? Allow me to offer some options to you:

1. A pair of good cap'n'ball revolvers in .36 caliber - Yes,you can go to larger calibers like .44's, and if you do, the mighty Ruger Old Army is about as good as it gets. There are also many excellent repro revolvers available in .44, usually made in Italy and distributed in the US. All of the major Cowboy firearm suppliers offer Cap'n'ball guns as well as the usual cartridge guns that you can find.

My reason for recommending the .36 is two-fold; first, you can get copies of the excellent, natural-pointing 1851 Colt Navy (still one of the most comfortable guns to shoot and the handle design is identical in feel to the 1873 Colt SAA), and second, as you develop as a shooter you can get Kirst cartridge conversion cylinder kits that will allow you to fire .38 Long Colt or .38 Special. You can load both of those with a Lee Load-all or Lyman tong tool and use black powder loaded with a dipper by volume. You'll have a blast shooting the guns loaded either way, and the cloud of powder smoke will definitely let folks know you were there. I have seen used 1851 go for as little as $150 apiece, and there are some on GunAuction.com right now with bids in the $90-$140 range. You can also go to DixieGunworks.com for about the widest selection around and black powder revolvers can be shipped directly to you without a firearms license. Any handgun that you get will still require some tuning and new springs, so that's the same as your .38/.357's. You can have a great time with the old smoke wagons and you can get tons of accessories from Dixie. You can also get a small 2-cavity pistol mold that looks just like one of  the "real" ones that you should be able to handle with no problem if you are used to casting figures (I cast toy soldiers and bullets pretty much interchangeably). Just remember, alloy for your figures and pure lead for your bullets.

2. A rifle or carbine in .44 caliber. Probably the ideal carbine if you want to stay reasonably historical would be a Spencer repro in .44 Russian, but they are costly. A good option would be a Yellow Boy 1866 chambered for .44 Special (I think Cimarron can still get these from Uberti), but again, even a used one won't be real cheap. An 1873 could obviously work, also in .44 Special, but you don't find them often in that caliber. It won't look as historical, but you can always get a used Rossi 1892 carbine in .44 Special/magnum. Heck the Duke used 1892's in most of his western movies regardless of the specific era. Here's the great thing about all of the .44's that I mentioned - they are all the same case and bullet, just different lengths. They are extremely easy to re-load and you can again use the dipper method and load with black. All it takes is a set of Lee dies for the press you're getting (you can also get a .38 die set instead of the Lee Load-all kit) and you are set for handgun and rifle/carbine. I know for a fact that Rossi's can be found inexpensively, I have one of the original Brazilian Rossi's with the "mystery wood" in .44 that I would sell for $350 with shipping included. I also did a quick net search and there are a lot of Rossi's available with new ones going for around $489 plus shipping. Of course you could get the Rossi in .38/.357 and have a "matched set" once you add the Kirst kits to your 1851 Navies, I just love shooting .44's (bigger boom+bigger smoke).

3. For  a shotgun  to go with this setup an outside hammer double would be ideal, although I doubt anyone would say anything if you had to go with a hammerless. Used 12 ga. doubles without hammers can be found all over the place, including yard sales, flea markets and farm auctions. Also, virtually every pawn shop in America has at least one or two 12's. IMHO, if you spend a few extra dollars up front for a set of brass shotshells, available from several suppliers, then you can load your shotgun loads completely by hand. Lee sells a kit for this with a powder and a shot dipper, you use a piece of turned wooden dowel seat your primers, and the same dowel to compress your powder charge under a wad, then dip your shot, compress it slightly and top with more wad, then seal the top with a light coat of parafin. Voila! You are good to go, and black powder is excellent for this as well.

These are just my thoughts and opinions on another way to go Buck, the same ones that I used to teach my Son many years ago, and will be teaching my Grandson (at least the pistols and probably the shotgun). Whatever you decide to do, go for the fun of the sport and the cameraderie and you'll be doing this for a long time. Happy Trails from Old Bill

I do own a Pietta 1851 actually, haven't got to go to the range with it however. 

My concern is that since I have work and school, in combination with reloading etc, I may not have time to detail strip my BP guns. I have considered it however. I am not making any hasty decisions until I've tried a few guns, but who knows. I will bring my BP gun to the match this weekend to see how it is. What is the name of the Rossi just so I can see if anyone has one I could try? I may find guns that are made for 357/38 that would be the same price as the navies+conversion, so who knows.If I do decide to go the bp/conversion route, I'll give you a holler.

Thanks!

"Buck"

1 hour ago, Medicine Creek Johnny said:

I have a friend who is the match director there who I see about once a month. They would still need to be transferred thru a MN FFL license holder. He would prolly know someone who would

MCJ

I'll think on it and see if I can find any to try, and if so I can probably give you an update next week. I wouldn't be able to purchase them for a little bit either way.

Thanks

"Buck"

1 hour ago, Buck McCram said:

I What is the name of the Rossi just so I can see if anyone has one I could try?

Thanks!

"Buck"

The Rossi is a clone of the 1892 Winchester. Commonly known as an R92 but you will also see them with different names.  I would not get any gun patterned on the 1894 action. The 94 was designed for longer rifle cartridges and doesn't work very well with shorter cartridges like the .38/.357.

Once your parents see how friendly CAS shooter are I am sure they will warm up to coming to matches with you.

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The Rossi is a clone of the 1892 Winchester. Commonly known as an R92 but you will also see them with different names.  I would not get any gun patterned on the 1894 action. The 94 was designed for longer rifle cartridges and doesn't work very well with shorter cartridges like the .38/.357.

Once your parents see how friendly CAS shooter are I am sure they will warm up to coming to matches with you.

Sadly my parents have a very busy schedule, both work full time and I have a brother who is an active musician, so it may be me alone for quite a while. I wish they cared enough to stay, but home is more important.

On 6/2/2017 at 11:34 AM, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

These are great presses--learned on a Herter's back-in-the-day.  You can load a lot of quality ammo with them.

Tell you what, I'll provide a new Lee Deluxe Pistol 4 Die Set once you decide on your caliber.  You can check HERE for specs on these dies

I look at this a "Paying it forward" which to us Cowboys means that somewhere down the trail you'll help a person starting out--may be after a number of years but yea, we all got help when we started out.

cheyenne

2 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

These are great presses--learned on a Herter's back-in-the-day.  You can load a lot of quality ammo with them.

Tell you what, I'll provide a new Lee Deluxe Pistol 4 Die Set once you decide on your caliber.  You can check HERE for specs on these dies

I look at this a "Paying it forward" which to us Cowboys means that somewhere down the trail you'll help a person starting out--may be after a number of years but yea, we all got help when we started out.

cheyenne

On June 2, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

This would make my month. I will provide shipping and anything you want. I promise I will pay it forward, whether it's my kids, somebody else's kids, or grandkids. I want you to know that I will pay for them if you even change your mind in the slightest at any point down the line. Your generosity will not be lost on me and new shooters I foster, even if it's quite a few years!

"Buck"

You can contact me at noah99944@gmail.com if you want to talk cost or shipping or trade.

Archived