SASS Wire Forum

Good trip to LGS

Sixgun Seamus

Had to make a trip for my daughter today so I stopped at LGS nearby. Most powder and primers and best selection in years. Snagged another 2 bricks of Federal SP primers for $30 and all Alliant powder was on sale so I got another 8lbs RedDot for $116. They had 10 Winchesters on the rack. Included every caliber, style and finish. Haven't ever seen that many together ever before. It was a good day.

Dang i wish i could find primers for that price around here.. I just picked up 15000 but i had to pay 35.

I also had a good trip to the lgs. I had to go pick up my new colt from jail (10 day wait) and happened to see something I'd never seen before. It was a little Merwin and Hulbert 38 s&w pocket pistol. Because it was an antique, I was able to walk right out with it as well. What a really neat gun. I've never seen anything like it before. Now I've finally got that pocket pistol taken care of.

I also had a good trip to the lgs. I had to go pick up my new colt from jail (10 day wait) and happened to see something I'd never seen before. It was a little Merwin and Hulbert 38 s&w pocket pistol. Because it was an antique, I was able to walk right out with it as well. What a really neat gun. I've never seen anything like it before. Now I've finally got that pocket pistol taken care of.

Kid,

How far & how long does it take you to get to your LGS? There hasn't been a LGS in Oaktown since July of 2000 when Siegle's closed up shop. If it is 4 cities north on I 80 I am not surprised you found the M&H. The Old West Gun Room has been selling military and other collectable firearms for longer than I can remember (1950's). As a child I remember a halftrack parked on a side street next to the store when the store was in another location in EC.

Kid,

How far & how long does it take you to get to your LGS? There hasn't been a LGS in Oaktown since July of 2000 when Siegle's closed up shop. If it is 4 cities north on I 80 I am not surprised you found the M&H. The Old West Gun Room has been selling military and other collectable firearms for longer than I can remember (1950's). As a child I remember a halftrack parked on a side street next to the store when the store was in another location in EC.

That's the one. I love that place. It's only about 20 minutes from my house without traffic, and as anyone that lives in the bay area knows, with traffic everything else is at least 20 minutes away. Here are some pics. I welcome any advice on playing with this new to me type of technology

MH%202_zpso6fdwaai.jpg

MH%201_zpsgyhhf0bi.jpg

MH%203_zpsjvsnujpv.jpg

It helped to keep my new Colt company on the way home

Cav%20Colt%207_zpsukd3s7ne.jpg

I still have a bunch of 38's to feed. Kay and I both shoot 45 Colt and Schofield, but for black we shoot 38. I know it's not your pale rider loads that make your eyes and ears bleed from concussion, but then again, you're my hero. :blink::blink::blink:

Saw Winchester primers at the Vallejo gun show Sunday for $24.95! An exceedingly successful visit as I ran into the guy who sold me my Gras artillery musketoon and he had a set of dies and 20 rounds of brass for the thing he'd picked up from the person who sold it to him. Got them for a third the price I'd pay elsewhere. Also got a can of Trail Boss so I am set for my occasional smokeless reloading needs for some time.

Nice lookin' MH there, Redwood. Need to check out the Old West Gunroom more often. Wish matches hereabouts employed pocket pistols more.

Seamus

Saw Winchester primers at the Vallejo gun show Sunday for $24.95! An exceedingly successful visit as I ran into the guy who sold me my Gras artillery musketoon and he had a set of dies and 20 rounds of brass for the thing he'd picked up from the person who sold it to him. Got them for a third the price I'd pay elsewhere. Also got a can of Trail Boss so I am set for my occasional smokeless reloading needs for some time.

Nice lookin' MH there, Redwood. Need to check out the Old West Gunroom more often. Wish matches hereabouts employed pocket pistols more.

Seamus

They've been carrying a lot of the new Winchesters as well. Saw several 1873's go through there and I believe he's got an 1892 in 45 colt made by Winchester/Miroku. I don't know much about that gun, but it sure looks nice. He also had two real Colts, which was the first time I had ever seen them in the shop. One in 45 and the other a really nice 44-40, BP frame with "frontier six shooter" etched on the barrel. Both priced on the high side, but very nice looking.

I'm lucky that I'm within 10 miles of 5 local gun shops and indoor ranges (2) The closest is 4 miles away. I try and buy everything I can from these local guys. They're all small businesses supporting families. I also am within 20 miles of 3 big box stores that I go to very rarely.

Support your Local Gun store! ;)

Mary made a batch of cookies and took some to two of the gunshops we have bought guns from recently. Our closest LGS seldom has anything I'm interested in and prices are always too high. Two gun shops some 90 minutes from us has lots of used guns at good prices and we have made good trades. We bought at least 4 guns out of one and 5 out of the other. They get the cookies.

They've been carrying a lot of the new Winchesters as well. Saw several 1873's go through there and I believe he's got an 1892 in 45 colt made by Winchester/Miroku. I don't know much about that gun, but it sure looks nice. He also had two real Colts, which was the first time I had ever seen them in the shop. One in 45 and the other a really nice 44-40, BP frame with "frontier six shooter" etched on the barrel. Both priced on the high side, but very nice looking.

I am surprised you haven't seen Colts in there before*. The Colt Sporter A2 HBAR I own I bought from OWGR in 1999 a month before the gun grabbers in Sacramento passed the AWB. The price of it went up 25% in one month. The owner told me the Colt salesman talked him into buying one A2 HBAR & one A3 HBAR. Must have been a offer he couldn't refuse; since, MSR's are not his cup of tea. *Haven't been in there since before I retired in Dec. 2012. These days the closest I get to EC is Discovery Bay when visiting my son and his family.