SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Old Armies?

Deacon Stone Sass#58681

I'm looking at doing some changes to my ROA and was wondering what people have done to theres to make them different?

I believe I'm going to change mine to .358 to start with but what else have you done? I also saw a pair that the backstraps had been cut out to make them open tops. Not sure I want to go that far but maybe?

Deacon Stone

Open top Colt-type revolvers have that huge arbor to stabilize the cylinder as the ball moves from the chamber to the barrel. The Ruger Old Army's base pin is much smaller, and it is pretty easy to bend. I personally would not want to fire one very many times without a topstrap, even a .36. That is an instinctive opinion, not based on experience.

You have seen mine; antiqued finish, Shure-Hit front sights, 19 lb. mainspring, Treso nipples. I'm satisfied.

I have a great pair of ROA. Shot them for over 5 yrs straight. Great guns. Lowered Super Blackhawk hammers, extended rams, SlikShot cones, brass front sights. Some engraving. Just looking at what other people have done to make them different from the norm. For function they are as good as I can do.

Belt Mountain base pins(Quick conversion kit), hammers lowered to Super black Hawk level, loading lever catch removed, 17# main spring and lightened trigger return spring, Slix nipples. Looking to get a nose job and brass front sights over the winter.

I sent mine to Boomstick Jay and had him cut'em down to 5 1/2, lower the hammer spurs and work his magic on the action. They are fantastic.

Now, with the lower hammer spurs my wife can shoot much easier. Ladies shooting Plainsman side matches in Texas better look out.

Totes

I did not think you could put lowered hammers on them it was an external mod?

Not so.

I did not think you could put lowered hammers on them it was an external mod?

From the rule book:

HAMMERS

Hammers may be replaced or exchanged with hammers designed for the same frame size (e.g., small frame revolver hammers may not be installed on large frame revolvers or vice versa). Internal parts of the hammer may be changed (e.g., to allow for a half-cock notch on a revolver). Ruger Super Blackhawk/Montado style revolver hammers (i.e. lowered and widened hammers) are acceptable on both adjustable and fixed sight model revolvers. Hammer stops may be added. The hammer travel distance on any revolver may be adjusted. Rear sight notches cut into the revolver hammer may be widened. Hammer spur grooves may be recut.

3" snubbie

baby_ROA.jpg

Two 12 inch Buntlines

rugerOldArmy.jpg

I have another pair of 3" snubbies that I'm working on now. Have not decided on Birdhead gripframes, or plowhandle gripframes.

They were blued & all the bluing has been removed. Thinking of polishing the steel.

No pics of these yet, as they are still works in progress.

My snubbies & 5.5" ROAs all have belt mountain base pins & are loaded on a Powder Inc. cylinder loader.

And I have conversion cylinders for all of them.

--Dawg

WOW!!!! CP, very nice work pard. Never entertained shooting BP cartridge, but I am very intrigued with what you have done with these cap guns!!

I really could see myself occasionally shooting GF with a set of custom Irons like them, stunning to look at and fun to shoot....

Spades H. CRAP!!! More guns..LOL..

I'm just looking for another blued 5 1/2" to complete my set of four. So far on my 7 1/2"s, sbh hammers, treso nipples, brownells spring kit and ballistol. I put a brownells sticker on the grips. Guaranteed to shave 2 seconds off every stage.

Archived