SASS Wire Forum

The Schoolmarm 'n' Blackwater One Lap Of America Tour

Blackwater 53393

As some of you know, me 'n' Schoolmarm are about to embark on a retirement celebration tour that will include passing through several firearm unfriendly states. We're traveling in a Honda CRv that has no trunk. Against my vehement protests, she wants to visit some part of California. I'm planning on shooting at least one, and maybe two matches along our journey, thus I am transporting "weapons" and ammunition, and that doesn't count my personal side arms. So for California and any other state where the requirement is for guns and ammo to be "In a separate compartment" of the vehicle, can I use one of my big Rubbermaid totes with a padlock or is there some other requirement for the purpose of obeying these idiotic regulations??

We will be on the road or visiting some of our friends for a little over three weeks. We'll have a house sitter who will tend to the home 'n' hearth and Hatfield has volunteered to mow the lawn. I'm planning on seeing Forty Rod and Badger Mountain Charlie for the first time. We've swapped lies, heartaches, and Christmas gifts, but never met face to face.

We had planned on visiting a few other folks, (Noz and Chickasaw Bill, we'll catch the both of ya's at BAC) but Schoolmarm's treatment schedule and my band engagements won't let us make all the visits at one time. Be very afraid!! We WILL be seeing some more of you as time and budget allows!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:;):lol:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Blackwater,

I hope you'll come shoot at Diamond Dick's Cowboy Town! Details are on the following site. There is a match every weekend. http://www.californiagunslingers.com/

My last three cars have been SUVs with no locked separate space. Just lock your guns in a box and put them in the back.

Hope to see you again!

Allie

PS Like Calico Mary wrote, not speeding is helpful.

try obeyin' these lil thingys called "speed limits".....it'll help.... :P

What're these speed limits you speak of??? <_<:o:lol::lol::lol:

every once in a while yer gonna pass a white sign wit black ritin' and numbers on it....tha numbers iz always endin' in zero or 5....

THEY'S NOT THERE TA ADD TA THA SCENERY!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

every once in a while yer gonna pass a white sign wit black ritin' and numbers on it....tha numbers iz always endin' in zero or 5....

THEY'S NOT THERE TA ADD TA THA SCENERY!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Of course sometimes that out of state license plate is a magnet, speeding or not.

Of course sometimes that out of state license plate is a magnet, speeding or not.

Good thing I'm not driving Ol' Green this time. License plate reads GUNFYTR !! :lol::lol::lol:

yeah, I noz UB.....wuz wurryed bout them CO plates on my car both trips we took ta Ohio....but as soon as we crossed tha Kansas state line both times we paid real close attenshuns to them white & black thingys....didn't wanna give any cops gud reason ta pull us over....SPECIALLY in IL..... :wacko:

Hi Blackwater,

I hope you'll come shoot at Diamond Dick's Cowboy Town! Details are on the following site. There is a match every weekend. http://www.californiagunslingers.com/

My last three cars have been SUVs with no locked separate space. Just lock your guns in a box and put them in the back.

Hope to see you again!

Allie

PS Like Calico Mary wrote, not speeding is helpful.

It doesn't look like we'll be in California on a weekend. So many places. So little time..........

When the budget recovers and I get some other obligations fulfilled, we'll do another tour.

If yer down San Diego way PM me and I'll meet you somewhere and buy yer lunch. Keep the ammo in a seperate container and a padlock on the handgun case in the back of the CRV and yer good to go.

It just happens that Schoolmarm has a friend in SD as well. She doesn't know if she'll look her up, but we were planning on making that our Cal. destination.

I'll let you know when we get to Forty Rod's house and rest or a day.

It just happens that Schoolmarm has a friend in SD as well. She doesn't know if she'll look her up, but we were planning on making that our Cal. destination.

I'll let you know when we get to Forty Rod's house and rest or a day.

COOL!! I'll PM you my cell#.

We're pullin' out about 4:00 am Wednesday morning. Car is loaded and all we have to do is get the cooler and the dog and ourselves in the car and head out.

We'll see some of ya's along the trail!!! I'll check in when I can.

Give us a running account.

So!! The first day turned to crap about 9:30 this morning!! We had just turned onto I64 and had made it to forty miles outta' St. Louis when the clutch on the A/C disintegrated leaving us sitting on the side of the road. Fifteen phone calls, a two hour wait for a wrecker, an hour tow into town and several hours of arguing with the warranty repair people and we were back on the road at 5:00pm.

Out into rush hour traffic and we manage to escape St. Louis and are headed north for about an hour when the car runs hot. I pull over and check under the hood. The electric radiator fans ain't working. I get the car cooled off, shut off the A/C, and get us to Hannibal, MO where we get a motel and will bed down for the night.

I'll hotwire the fans in the morning and I'll likely find a dealership and trade this annoying piece of junk off. I shoulda' drove Ol' Green!!

It might have broke me in gas expenses, but it's ten times the transportation that this damned Honda has EVER been!!!

Piece of crap had to be towed right into downtown St. Louis to get it repaired and then broke down an hour north of there

this is why we usually rent cars when we go on long road trips (except fer tha 2 trips ta Ohio)...ifn' it breaks down we jus git a different one.... :huh:

Rental for the 3 1/2 week trip was going to be nearly $1,000.00 .

Rental for the 3 1/2 week trip was going to be nearly $1,000.00 .

With the high mileage in a short amount of time your trip was going to be, a car rental would have been the most economic way to go. Plus the rental would probable have more interior room that a CRV, and if it breaks, they fix it.

The only glitch would be; Would the car rental place allow the customer to go across numerous state lines? It would cost a bit more if both of you were designated drivers.

A number of years ago, I rented a car for a weeks long car vacation, 100's of miles in a weeks time. It ended up costing me 10-cents a mile for car rental (ownership, tires, etc) and it got 30+mpg. BTW, the contract had unlimited miles over the rental period.

Ownership cost + gas/tires for a reasonably new/modern car is probably close to 60-cents+ per mile. It could be higher if you drive a high end car.

Something to consider in the future.

Hey Blackwater, didja brang bail money too? ;)

I do hope you and your better half have a great trip...you'll meet some good folks and see some mighty fine sights along the way. What ya'll are doing is something that me and Chootin Cheryl will do whenever I retire. Ya'll have fun and give us a road report from time to time.

Kajun

We managed to get on up the road a few miles before another catastrophe beset us. When we finally got into Iowa, it was in a courtesy vehicle.

We are now traveling in a really nice Buick Enclave that we'll be paying a nominal installment for the forseable future. Haven't had a car note in many years!!!

It'll take me the whole trip to learn how to operate all of the controls!! The dern thing has a BUNCH of gadgets and gimmicks!!

Anyhow, we're touring again. Good A/C and lots more room, better stereo, and better power. We will be back on schedule by lunchtime tomorrow.

We never "named" the Honda, although I called it a lot of names that you wouldn't want to repeat in public!!! It's not like Lockjaw or Ol' Green where they kinda just "became" what they are. I reckon this one will kinda' name itself as the trip progresses.

We bedded down a little east of Des Moines last night so's we wouldn't be bargin' in on Grannie Annie at midnight. I could be there for breakfast, but Schoolmarm says she ain't gettin' up at the crack of dawn today. She DID let it slip that she's gonna "see California in this new car" last night while she was talking to Hatfield, after the smoke had cleared and the dust had settled!!! She was leaning toward "just goin home" and doing the trip some other time, 'til we got the car thing worked out so well.

Grannie Annie makes a great ham sammidge!! We got to their place right at noon and it was "Ya'll come 'n' eat!" We got the six bit tour of Colfax and of their range. Nice little range and an interesting place they live in. Talk about tall corn!!

Finally got that lazagna she's been trying to feed us since Wednesday. WOWZERS!! Worth the wait by a damned sight!!!

We'll be here 'til sometime Sunday when we'll head off toward Denver. Schoolmarm's all smiles again thanks in part to the great folks at Deery Brothers in Burlington, Iowa. If you're around there sometime, extend them our thanks! Good people!!

More news as it happens!!

Oh! Yeah! It's Blacksmith Hoss' birthday!!!

I've already promised Miss Lorrie an Enclave for her next car. A Buick saved our life when we had the "big" one a few years back.

This is a nice ride!! Same as the Chevy Traverse and GMC Acadia and there's maybe a Cadilac version as well.

After those first two days, we were seriously contemplating returning home. The couple of days rest and a more comfortable and much more reliable vehicle, has our journey back on track and on schedule. Jezebel is now back to her customary laid back no stress self.

Schoolmarm is back to that level of excitement that has her acting more like a seven year old at Christmas time!!

Thanks Kris! Maybe later this fall we can meet up. I'm still wanting to meet you and Uno!!

Thanks Kris! Maybe later this fall we can meet up. I'm still wanting to meet you and Uno!!

We've got plenty of room in the bunkhouse. Fall is a beautiful time to go see the Ozarks.

Howdy Folks,

Hope the remainder of your journey is without a negative incident. Enjoy your journey and take many pictures.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

PS Deb & I are planning a trip in October. Think we'll fly into Las Vegas and rent a car for two weeks. Happy Trails!

Archived