SASS Wire Forum

.38 Short Colt Question

Carolina Gunslinger

Widder's inbox is full, so I figured I'd ask if anyone had considered running a smaller .38 through the widdermatic or if this is possible? With all the drama surrounding the 45 little shell, it seems like an idea at the very least. I'd think it would be the greatest efficient use of powder and ball for simply smacking the steel in this game. I've got a bunch of .38 special and the trimming operation seems efficient in a Forster to get to short Colt....or shorter. Thanks for your ideas and thoughts.

New, 38 Short Colt & 38 Long Colt brass are available from Starline Brass. At a very reasonable price.

www.starlinebrass.com

Both are shorter in length than the 38 Special.

No performance advantage for either when shot through a rifle. 38specials can be downloaded so far that there is no muzzle movement.

You probably could reduce your powder consumption by 10-20% by using shorter cases and get equivalent performance as 38 special. But really, there is minimal cost savings because you still need a primer + bullet.

Disregarding all of that, a rifle that could handle a 38 Short Colt case would be unique and interesting to develop and shoot. A great gallery gun and in some situations, cheaper to shoot that a 22LR. Oh ya, would do everything SASS would demand of it. LOL.

Hmmm, stock rifle magazine that could hold 20rds?

Edit: If anyone gets the conversion of a rifle to 38 SC figured out, then the next project would be to convert rifle for 32 S&W :D

I believe at one time, Adirondack Jack and Happy Trails collaborated on a special carrier for just that purpose. There was so little interest, the

idea resulted in just one prototype or maybe just a few examples, then died on the vine so to speak.

Seems like Bob n Weev was loading 38 super short for Ms Weev years ago. She may have been shooting it only in her pistols. Could this problem be solved with a bullet stop in the carrier like. 22 cal 73/66?

We load 38 Short Colt for Mary's revolvers. It would be nice to use same ammo in pistol and rifle. But her Cowboy Limited runs 357 loaded with RF bullets without a hitch. So why go to the effort?

Were it would be nice is to have a 16" carbine that held 10 rounds and was short stroked.

If the short case rifle was developed and marketed, there would be some that would purchase it because they would think they could "milk out a fraction of a second" off their stage time.LOL. Look around now of all the aftermarket products and gun smithing work that promise better performance, and they do, in the select few right hands.

Don Johnson, "Cody Conagher", The Cowboy Shop in West Virginia, (304) 258-1516,

cody6986@frontier.com

is one person I would call regarding altering a '73 to reliably cycle and fire the .38 Colt cartridges. He is a certified gunsmith and has modified '73's to handle .45acp. I'm thinking the .38 Colt cartridges would be something he could successfully make work.

Don Johnson Jones, "Cody Conagher", The Cowboy Shop in West Virginia, (304) 258-1516,

cody6986@frontier.com

is one person I would call regarding altering a '73 to reliably cycle and fire the .38 Colt cartridges. He is a certified gunsmith and has modified '73's to handle .45acp. I'm thinking the .38 Colt cartridges would be something he could successfully make work.

Fixed that for ya. :)

Fixed that for ya. :)

I musta been thinkin' of the pretty guy with the pastel clothes and the Ferarri and the pet alligator.

:-)

:-)

Yes...... Don Jones is "Cody Conagher"

Barrel length of 16".

Magazine tube cut to match barrel and probably still hold 11+ rds

6th generation short stroke and action kit.

Balsa wood pistol grip or straight stock, crescent or straight butt plate to absorb all that recoil. LOL,,,,. specify LOP when ordering. lazer engraving of your choice.

Straight trigger, big brass/ivory front sight blade options & butt cover color at time of order.

Give hand impression so custom lever with finger grooves can be forged. :o

Custom rifle holster in your chosen color and amount of bling coming soon so you can 'make safe' on the move. :D

Well, that is a start. LOL

Barrel length of 34", capacity of three or four days, BL-22 length cycle, reasonably sized front sight, crooked stock and crooked lever....

Seriously, the reason I'd prefer a marlin is the ability to shoot whatever length case you have on hand. Although a '73 wouldn't be a bad alternative.

There would be no advantage to a .38 short colt in a Marlin with a stock stroke length like a Widderized Marlin. Now if using the Spur/Cowboy Carty short stroke method one could perhaps get a Marlin stroke down to SASS legal limits using a .38 short colt. Zero benefit to a 73' as some are already being made to SASS minimum limits. But eventually some but not most will come to the conclusion that you cannot "buy it", but what fun is that LOL.

Just start writing stages of 15r-10p-4sg and watch the people scramble. Only need one stage with starting Rifle count better than ten to make a difference. LOL.

advantage would be a shorter gun, faster swing, lighter gun, lower recoil, extended case life before splitting, less powder consumption, easier to ID your brass on the ground, and presume you will get lever throw down to the minimum like all the other 73's and Marlins + equally slick action. All that should make some people reach for their wallet. some gotta have the best for bragging rights. ;)

Another advantage: You could use the same 38 SC case (possible powder charge too) in side match pocket pistol, main match pistol , and main match rifle. LOL.

There would be no advantage to a .38 short colt in a Marlin with a stock stroke length like a Widderized Marlin. Now if using the Spur/Cowboy Carty short stroke method one could perhaps get a Marlin stroke down to SASS legal limits using a .38 short colt. Zero benefit to a 73' as some are already being made to SASS minimum limits. But eventually some but not most will come to the conclusion that you cannot "buy it", but what fun is that LOL.

Nobody can buy your speed. I like the idea of cartridge interchangeability though and people are talking about something other than the cost of brass...😀 Thanks for more avenues to ponder as far as gunsmiths! I have enjoyed your videos and dig the speed.

I've had the marlin short stroke down that far for 38 short colt, but I had excessive wear on the lever and carrier hook. A plunger button I couldn't get to work at all. There was also a noticeable hitch on the return stroke of the lever lifting the carrier.

Anyone want to donate a rusty old marlin 94 to be a cutaway action for testing?

Archived