SASS Wire Forum

Video of TOing at an annual

Marshal Dan Troop 70448

While it looks neat, we would not include a stage of this design. Steps... no steps. I can't see how the guns are propped but we just don't stage long guns standing. Confined area with no room for TO. We had a jail stage but it had two small windows with bars. It wasn't very friendly to shoot through - especially difficult for shot or tall shooters.

As far as the TO, he has no way to direct the shooter.

While it looks neat, we would not include a stage of this design. Steps... no steps. I can't see how the guns are propped but we just don't stage long guns standing. Confined area with no room for TO. We had a jail stage but it had two small windows with bars. It wasn't very friendly to shoot through - especially difficult for shot or tall shooters.

As far as the TO, he has no way to direct the shooter.

Maybe not able to assist shooter, but is able to assist spotters with misses. MT

the prop is really small, but sadly that is how way too many TOs operate!!!

my take, get behind the shooter's strong shoulder, from there you can see and do everything you need to do!!!!

Uhhhhh.............Guys...............While this video MAY be a good demonstration for other folks of how not to run the timer, I don't think publicly shaming this poor fellow is the right course of action. We already have a hard enough time of getting people to accept the heavy burden of being a T.O., we certainly don't need to add public embarrassment to the list of reasons not to do it. :(

I was taught long LONG ago that you reward in public but discipline in private.

Uhhhhh.............Guys...............While this video MAY be a good demonstration for other folks of how not to run the timer, I don't think publicly shaming this poor fellow is the right course of action. We already have a hard enough time of getting people to accept the heavy burden of being a T.O., we certainly don't need to add public embarrassment to the list of reasons not to do it. :(

I totally agree.

the prop is really small, but sadly that is how way too many TOs operate!!!

my take, get behind the shooter's strong shoulder, from there you can see and do everything you need to do!!!!

Yep!!

1) He could have positioned himself closer to shooter (to assist) than what he was doing. As was, the shooter was out of his control, both physically and verbally.

2) Counting misses with his fingers. Ya know that influences the weak spotters.

3) Spend way to much time looking for edgers and not monitoring shooter. Of course, that is how he could keep up with the miss count. Hmmmmm, wonder if there was a difference in number of misses from the spotters vs TO, which count would be recorded? :mellow:

About all he was doing, was recording the time.

Side note..... I see a lot of TO's just stand there and say nothing when the shooter has a squib and no one can verify if the bullet has left the barrel. Seen shooter try to lever in another round or shooter grounds gun and goes on and has to eat whatever rounds are in the gun. Again, about the only thing these TO's accomplish is record the time.

Yep

The video never ID the TO, nor area, just were I got it from, an Annual. I couldn't tell who. MT

Yep, just not cool.

There is only one cowboy video on this channel so it's hard to say if it could be done in a proper way. The stage handicapped everyone involved. I'd think spotters could be to right or left and see the hits/misses. But there is no room for TO to do his job.

I agree. Often times I will delete a video or not upload it just to keep the peanut gallery from critiquing. But I've also been thanked by shooters for putting up a video of them having a train wreck or getting a penalty as it helped them identify what went wrong, or what they did.

For the most part though, people are good about it and PM me with any input, that way I can pass it along in private if there really was an issue, but often times it can be a camera angle or other factor that makes it look like a problem when it really wasn't.

Some are worried about the TO, and the way it may make him feel. All a guy can see is average height male holding the clock, and spotting. I'm more concerned about the shooter in the cage with no help getting safely through the stage, and a TO not even near the shooter, yet adding up miss penalties. I've just been through a shoot like this not long ago, at a club shoot. One stage I tripled on, the TO gave me a clean run, while others were truly clean, the guy gave me a couple. This is so common.

While we may not know who it is I guarantee he and people from that club know.

And if I were shooting inside that box I wouldn't want anybody in there.

Also I have been to more than one shoot where I was a TO , spotter , brass picker and more at the same time. Sometimes it's that or no shoot.

I've had good and not so good TOs but always thankful I had one.

You know what would really be helpful?

Someone, say an RO instructor, to put together a right way/wrong way video on running the TO job. That way you can reenact a wrong way to do the job and not have to expose someone to ridicule.

When we went through ROI and ROII training a couple of months back, we had a mock stage that was laid out as convoluted as possible. The RO instructor came out as the "next" shooter. He deliberately had many equipment and costuming problems. It was our job to identify the target and stage arrangement problems and the problems of the next shooter and how to handle the situation.

You know what would really be helpful?

Someone, say an RO instructor, to put together a right way/wrong way video on running the TO job. That way you can reenact a wrong way to do the job and not have to expose someone to ridicule.

When we went through ROI and ROII training a couple of months back, we had a mock stage that was laid out as convoluted as possible. The RO instructor came out as the "next" shooter. He deliberately had many equipment and costuming problems. It was our job to identify the target and stage arrangement problems and the problems of the next shooter and how to handle the situation.

Those have always been components of the SASS RO2 (Range Officer Training) Course.

Archived