SASS Wire Forum

Don't Send a Drone to a Pigeon Shoot!

Yellowhouse Sam # 25171

Methinks the use of the word "tame" when referring to the pigeons was for shock effect and spin value on the part of the reporter. Live pigeon shooting has only been around as long as there have been shotguns. Kinda the grandfather of trap shooting. Lot of political agenda in the linked-to article.

Plus one on popping drones ,IF over private property.

Rex , :D

Trap shooting originated with live pigeons being released from under hats, where they were held "trapped." It's not often done these days, and as a sport began to wane about 150+ years ago with the development of launched targets. You may recall reading of Annie Oakley shooting glass balls...

Personally, I find no appeal in shooting tame birds. Twice in my life I've "hunted" pheasants on preserves; the only sporting value I saw in it was in introducing youngsters to bird shooting. Seeing a grown man kick a cowering bird to make it fly so he could shoot it (I've seen it done) just doesn't cut it for me.

But drone blasting, on the other hand... :)

That could be a new sport, Hardpan.

The guys with the drones get to shoot and squirt air soft paint balls

and the guy with shotguns get to shoot down the drones with lead shot.

I like it.

Trap shooting originated with live pigeons being released from under hats, where they were held "trapped." It's not often done these days, and as a sport began to wane about 150+ years ago with the development of launched targets. You may recall reading of Annie Oakley shooting glass balls...

Personally, I find no appeal in shooting tame birds. Twice in my life I've "hunted" pheasants on preserves; the only sporting value I saw in it was in introducing youngsters to bird shooting. Seeing a grown man kick a cowering bird to make it fly so he could shoot it (I've seen it done) just doesn't cut it for me.

But drone blasting, on the other hand... :)

8 of us leased a hunting preserve for an afternoon a few years back. They put out 8 pheasants for us and a guide with a trained pointer. We unlimbered our longbows and recurves and flu-flu arrows and got after them. After flushing the birds and shooting at them until they were exhausted we had not lifted a feather. The last bird we flushed only flew 20 yards or so before he came down. A very disgusted pointer caught the bird and brought it to one of the shooters. We quit and had a cook out with lots of beer and brats. Great time was had by all except the pheasants and the dogs.

I betcha we could hit a drone!

While I'm in favor of drones getting shot down, I'm not sure I'm in favor of throwing actual tame pigeons into the air to shoot them. I didn't know people did that. Anyone familiar with the practice? Do they eat the pigeons afterwards?

It was done once in the Olympics. The Games in 1900. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_at_the_1900_Summer_Olympics

Didn't go over well.

Archived