SASS Wire Forum

Chihuahuas Smell

Yul Lose

Last week a very small Black and Tan male chihuahua showed up on our doorstep. From the looks of him he is pretty old and emits a very foul odor. My wife and I tried to catch him for three or four days and finally on Saturday I trapped him in my shop. We prepared a box and finally got him to go in it and he was trapped. That dog stunk so bad that I'm having to air out my shop today. I called county animal control three times last week and they never came out.

I took the dog to the pound down in Escondido this morning and when the lady came out to get the box out of my truck she commented about she could tell it was a chihuahua just from the smell. I asked her what she meant and she told me that a lot of older, male chihuahuas have that same smell. I'd never heard that before. Are any of you veterinarians aware of this? I have a hunch that that is why the previous owner abandoned the dog.

I don't know your answer, but here's a question for you.

When you took it to the pound, did they make you pay to turn it in?

A few months back some loony-tune down the street decided I was abusive to my dog, and took her down to her house and called the pound to pick her up. Better she was euthanized than to live with a sadistic monster like me.

So I called the cops, and I got my dog back, but while we were all discussing this the lady from the pound showed up to collect the dog, and she told me that if I wanted to surrender my dog to the pound, there was a 25 dollar fee.

Which may have something to do with people, that no longer want their pets, just throwing them out in a new neighborhood. Much cheaper than paying the pound.

smiliesuspect_zps51e7d90a.gif People.

Never heard of a surrender fee. Is this acounty facility or private?

Interesting. It's not unusual for SPCA and other private facilities but I've never heard of a county pound doin that for dogs. Horses yeah.

We had a stray cat that kept coming in the dog door when I lived at China Lake. Took the cat to the county shelter and the lady told me it would cost me $50.00 to leave the cat. I explained that is wasn't mine and I wasn't paying a fee. Lady got an attitude so I picked up the carrier and turned to leave. She asked me what I was going to do and I told her that before I would pay $50.00 to drop off a cat that wasn't mine I would just take it out and euthanize it myself. After she picked up her jaw, she changed her tune pretty quickly and agreed to take the cat.

Now Allie. before you ban me for life, I wouldn't have actually done that; but it really pissed me off that I tried to do the right thing and it was going to cost me $50.00. The cat was obvisouly an indoor cat and looked to have been well taken care of. I just couldn't have it coming in the house as the wife is alergic to cats. I queried all the immediate neigbors and no one knew who the cat belong to and I didn't want it to become coyote food so I figured the right thing to do was take it to the shelter.

Causes of bad smell in old dogs...

Bad teeth, particularly in the toy breeds. Tartar builds up, causes gum infections, abscesses, etc. The plaque stinks and the infections stink.

Seborrheic dermatitis, lots of oil on the skin and fur, the dermal oil and fat turns rancid after a while. Can also be caused by hormonal imbalances, poor diet.

Ear infections, either bacterial or fungal.

Anal gland impaction and infections.

...so, which part of the animal did your nose tell you smelled the worst?? :ph34r:

With a elephant, or even a horse, you might could tell the front end smells worse than the back end.

But with a Chihuahua?

With a elephant, or even a horse, you might could tell the front end smells worse than the back end.

But with a Chihuahua?

Ya gotta get reeeeeal close.... :rolleyes:

Bad teeth, particularly in the toy breeds. Tartar builds up, causes gum infections, abscesses, etc. The plaque stinks and the infections stink.

Seborrheic dermatitis, lots of oil on the skin and fur, the dermal oil and fat turns rancid after a while. Can also be caused by hormonal imbalances, poor diet.

...so, which part of the animal did your nose tell you smelled the worst?? :ph34r:

There was no surrender fee.

The dog just flat stunk like a fresh pile of doggy do. My shop still smells and it's been open all day. When the dog was first dropped off it would walk across the patio and the smell would come into the house and we thought one of our dogs had had an accident in the house. Mrs. Lose would look all over for some evidence in the house and wouldn't find it and then we discovered the chihuahua.

Do ya' think it got skunked?

Nah, a skunk smells much better than this dog. It probably didn't weigh 3 lbs.

I hate to say it but this thread is more interesting than most of the crap on the main SASS wire.

So, Chihuahuas are not the only things that smell??😳

My daughter has an older male chihuahua and he doesn't smell at all, but this little guy that showed up sure did.

J-bar is right for sure, there is also Demodex , which is a skin condition from lack of care and parasites...smells terrible, makes hair fall out and they look aweful...BUT cam be completely cured with time, nutrition and medication. many shelter will not take the time and expense and just put the dogs down. two types, one contagious(sarcoptic), one not.

I hate to say it but this thread is more interesting than most of the crap on the main SASS wire.

You mean that you don't enjoy the WTC threads that grow to 5 or 6 pages with the answer being restated at least a dozen times before everyone decides that PWB had it right to begin with? :lol::D:D:lol:

Or the people that cannot figure out how the search feature works. Although in defense of some it doesn't handle strings like "45-70" or "44-40" those searches always come up blank.

Most animals in the weasel family have a very strong bad oder and chihuahuas have no idea they they aren't as big as a St Bernard.

We had a dog that turned over a bottle of Doe urine in the barn and then decided to roll in it. We thought we would never get the smell out of that dog.

Archived