SASS Wire Forum

bp question in 32s

Darksider

All BP cartrigde loads are about the same: good brass, load enough powder to get 1/16" compresion, tight crimp. This works for all cartridges between the .32 S&W to the .45 Colt.

If ignition is not good either increase the bullet weight or go to a magnum primer.

Cartridges that start with .3 should be loaded with FFFg. Cartridges that start with .4 (and the .38-40) may have softer recoil with FFg.

For the .32s, your 96 grain bullet in a .32 H&R mag case will meet the smoke standard. In a .32 S&W case it will fail that standard (I've done the testing). Your .38 Special loads will pass.

In both of those itty-bitty cases just fill 'em up with powder and stuff a bullet on! :D

BTW, a .32H&R MIGHT make the smoke standard, depending on the powder used!!!!!!

You mean, you can get enough BP into them to make work...Will the lead get to the target...If it did, going to be very slow...

Texas Lizard

A .32 H&R mag loaded with APP and topped with a 100 grain bullet easily meets the smoke standard (this has been tested and published in the Cowboy Chronicle) and rings a target nicely. This is my wife's load that she shoots at WR and EOT with no challenges. BTW, a 115 grain bullet with Triple 7 makes an effective knockdown load.

A .32 H&R mag loaded with APP and topped with a 100 grain bullet easily meets the smoke standard (this has been tested and published in the Cowboy Chronicle) and rings a target nicely. This is my wife's load that she shoots at WR and EOT with no challenges. BTW, a 115 grain bullet with Triple 7 makes an effective knockdown load.

That's why I said depending on the powder used. APP will, some won't.

Easily should read "barely"! :lol:

All BP cartrigde loads are about the same: good brass, load enough powder to get 1/16" compresion, tight crimp. This works for all cartridges between the .32 S&W to the .45 Colt.

If ignition is not good either increase the bullet weight or go to a magnum primer.

Cartridges that start with .3 should be loaded with FFFg. Cartridges that start with .4 (and the .38-40) may have softer recoil with FFg.

+1

Darksider! Good to see you're finally living up to your alias Pard! Can't wait to see you all again. Going to Pemi in a couple weeks?

You have some good advice in these posts, should serve you well. I have used 777 in my 32 SW pocket pistol, most guys running the station don't even notice that it's Black. So much for making smoke standard with that case. 777 has the most smoke/cc of anything.

You mean, you can get enough BP into them to make work...Will the lead get to the target...If it did, going to be very slow...

Texas Lizard

As already stated, you can get 1cc powder in the 32 H&R case. Makes plenty smoke and the bullet is actually fairly zippy.

If you don't have a bullet that carries enough lube try using Swiss or old Eynsford powder as the fouling will stay softer. Also clean all of the smokiless fouling and lube out of your guns before shooting BP. kR

That's strange......shooting BP is precisely how I clean smokeless fouling from guns.

What is this "smoke standard" that people have referenced? I know of nothing that talks of one in the rules.

From page 15 of the Shooters Handbook the "smoke standard"

BLACKPOWDER CATEGORIES

It is expected the blackpowder competitor shall contend with smoke obscured targets. To ensure

this, all shotgun, revolver, and rifle powder charges must produce smoke at least equivalent to a

baseline load of 15 grains by volume (1 cc) of ffg blackpowder.

Darksider, use Triple 7 so you can use your regular .32 bullets and not have to worry about lubing the bullets.

Ms. Mary Matilda's Rugers and Marlin are .32 H&R Magnum and she shoots Lady Frontier Cartridge... and the load is as stated, fill the cartridge with Black Powder (I use Schuetzen Ffg & sometimes 777) such that when seating the 115 grain bullet, 1/16" of compression is achieved.

This rounds loaded in this ways more than meets the smoke minimum, produces flames, and is loud!!! Also, puts to shame those gamer FC shooters that reduce the load/smoke to about the same as smokeless powders... just sayin'...

Archived