SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of llamas

Utah Bob #35998

Saw the Llamas on the Lam video on the news. You see quite a few around here. They're good livestock guards.

If I had one, I'd name him Fernando of course.

What is the difference between a Llama and an Alpaca?

ttp://www.mountairyalpacas.com/llama.html

Llamas are a lot bigger than Alpacas to start with. They mostly keep Alpacas for their wool, not so much with Llamas. Llamas are a lot bigger too.

Llamas are pack animals in South America. Here in the US they are basically lawn or pasture ornaments.....essentially they are like your appendix or part of the White House administration; useless. But then, that's not really being fair to llamas, is it? :-)

Heck, Sheppard Smith on FNC covered them for 15 minutes or so, until they were lassoed, so they are worth something in entertainment value. I had one named Charlie that I had in with sheep. It worked, never lost any sheep while he was with them for 3 years, before him I would lose one occaisionaly.

Heck, Sheppard Smith on FNC covered them for 15 minutes or so, until they were lassoed, so they are worth something in entertainment value. I had one named Charlie that I had in with sheep. It worked, never lost any sheep while he was with them for 3 years, before him I would lose one occaisionaly.

I was joking in my previous reply. As stated, llamas are territorial and are good guards for flocks of goats and sheep, keeping the coyotes at bay. When I was running a few cows here, I used to have to go out at night the first couple days to guard the newborn calves, but a llama would have kept out the coyotes. If llamas aren't fond of you, they'll spit!! There's a woman back up the canyon a ways who raises show llamas. She wanted to place a couple here (i.e. she wanted me to feed and care for them). Nope. :-)

If I had one, I would name it, Dolly.

Good one.:D

any animal whose baby is called a "cria" is ok by me

If you connected the two 'l's, it would spell 'Hamas'.

Soooo, whats the difference between llamas and Hamas?

one acts more like a human and the other acts more like an animal.

..........Widder

Archived