SASS Wire Forum

1866 sporting rifle question

shotguntom

My LGS has a used 66 rifle with 24 inch barrel in 44 Special. It is a Cimarron imported gun in appx 95% condition. The usual small stock dings, nothing bad at all. All screws are good. Doesn't appear to have been monkeyed with. The bluing is very clean also. A few minor scratches.

The price is $650 + $ 56 tax. Otd for $706. Is this a fair price or too high for this rifle?

Thanks

IF you want to reload and shoot .44 special (kinda hard to find commercially loaded cowboy ammo for this caliber),

AND you are a big enough fellow to want to use a 24" barreled gun (in the 66, which is a heavy frame, the 24" barrel makes for a heavy finished firearm),

AND there's no concealed damage,

that price would be a great price.

Good luck, GJ

Well thats the one i was looking for but had to settle for a 45 the 44 was very hard for me to find ( now im jealious) you found my 66

The original 1866 winchester caliber was a 44 rimfire and since you cant find rimfire in 44 the special round would be more historical accurite (for me at least) if you are going to reload that caliber then the price is a no brainer keep me posted if you decide to adopt this treasure

Okiepan

Thanks guys. I do load for 44 special. I had, and sadly sold my 44 special 66 short rifle with a Coyote Cap action job, some time back.

Truth be told, the 24 inch barrel on the rifle I looked at, turns me off a bit. That's why I asked if the deal is so good that I shouldn't pass it up. I'm only 5'7" and weigh 165 lbs. If it was a short rifle I would have grabbed it.

Thanks guys. I do load for 44 special. I had, and sadly sold my 44 special 66 short rifle with a Coyote Cap action job, some time back.

Truth be told, the 24 inch barrel on the rifle I looked at, turns me off a bit. That's why I asked if the deal is so good that I shouldn't pass it up. I'm only 5'7" and weigh 165 lbs. If it was a short rifle I would have grabbed it.

If ya like the price?

If ya like the caliber?

If ya like the conditions?

Buy it and don't look back.. :)

Cowboy gunsmiths can shorten the barrel and magazine fer ya..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' that's what I had done..

That is a good deal on a hard caliber to find. I have one and I love it, heavy gun and all. I bought the modified carrier so it will handle the short .44 Russians. I shoot the Russians in my .44 Special Open Tops, too. Reasonably close to the original .44 Henry (but less case capacity), without getting into heeled bullets and other fussy stuff.

I shoot a 66 with the 24 inch barrel, only in 45 colt. I'm 5'9" and 170 pounds. I love shooting this rifle. It isn't very heavy at all. I shoot gun fighter, and if I ever get tired on a stage it will be with the pistols. I've never had any issues with the weight. Pick it up and swing it around a bit. I think you'll be surprised at how well it points, without being cumbersome.

That is a good deal on a hard caliber to find. I have one and I love it, heavy gun and all. I bought the modified carrier so it will handle the short .44 Russians. I shoot the Russians in my .44 Special Open Tops, too. Reasonably close to the original .44 Henry (but less case capacity), without getting into heeled bullets and other fussy stuff.

Hi Dusty I also have a couple of 44 s a 66 and a 73, love them both. Am planning to shoot some more black powder and wanted to do what you have done with yours and shoot 44 Russians through my 66. I have seen it available from the Smith Shop. Sent him an email but no reply? Does it work ok?

Cheers

Jack

I've been shootin' a 66 sporting rifle for several years. It's a heavy gun but when the buzzer goes off you won't even feel it Buy it you'll love it

That's why they make saws. I shortened my 24 inch to 18 inches. Balances nice.

Hi Dusty I also have a couple of 44 s a 66 and a 73, love them both. Am planning to shoot some more black powder and wanted to do what you have done with yours and shoot 44 Russians through my 66. I have seen it available from the Smith Shop. Sent him an email but no reply? Does it work ok?

Cheers

Jack

Works great, Jack. Everything feeds and cycles fine, though I am not very fast. I still kick myself from selling my Henry in .44 Spl., with modified carrier that would cycle a mix of .44 Special, Colt and Russians in any order without a hitch.

My LGS has a used 66 rifle with 24 inch barrel in 44 Special. It is a Cimarron imported gun in appx 95% condition. The usual small stock dings, nothing bad at all. All screws are good. Doesn't appear to have been monkeyed with. The bluing is very clean also. A few minor scratches.

The price is $650 + $ 56 tax. Otd for $706. Is this a fair price or too high for this rifle?

Thanks

That's a great price, but still try to talk him down. See if you can get him to $600 + tax. The LGS probably paid no more than $450 for it, $500 at the absolute most. If it hasn't been sitting in the shop for a long time, he may dicker with ya on a used gun. And like others have said, if you find you don't like the 24" barrel, any halfway competent gunsmith can cut those four inches off for ya.

At $650 I'd say that's a bargain in that condition. Pity about the tax?? Haven't you got an interstate holiday home? :D:D:D

I paid $950 in similar standard trim for mine in Aussie, where there, they're rarer than hens teeth,... and wouldn't sell it for a cent less than $1100.??

I Short stroked it, 20" barrel, (cut from 24") speed sights, action springs the whole box and dice.

And I don't see too many of them around here either. :huh:

That's a great price, but still try to talk him down. See if you can get him to $600 + tax. The LGS probably paid no more than $450 for it, $500 at the absolute most. If it hasn't been sitting in the shop for a long time, he may dicker with ya on a used gun. And like others have said, if you find you don't like the 24" barrel, any halfway competent gunsmith can cut those four inches off for ya.

The price asked sounds completely fair...why beat up the shop?????

Cutting of the barrel will still leave you with a longer forearm...some find this not so appealing.

Phantom

The price asked sounds completely fair...why beat up the shop?????

There's nothing at all wrong with trying to get the best deal possible. I do agree with you that the price sounds completely fair, and if the OP finds that the shop won't budge, I'd encourage him to buy at their asking price.

I don't shoot that cal., but love the brass,I would buy it at their price.

Yep, dat's a good buy right there - I'd be all over it for $650!

I paid $800 for a like new '66 .44 spl round barrel carbine 5 days ago off the used rack of a LGS. In 2013, I paid $825 for another one that had a C&I short stroke kit.

Archived