SASS Wire Forum

Sometimes I hate John Wayne....

Shorty Jack Hammer

....ok not really, but dang it how's a man supposed to get anything done when Red River, The Undefeated, and The Shootist are all on in a row on the same day...... :D

:D Give up and give in.

Hahah...I did...but here's the best part...I already have all those movies on DVD and I STILL cant help but watch them on TV.... :D

Too bad for the bartender with the sxs in "The Shootist" that he wuzn't a CAS shooter. Opie woodda been toast.

Too bad for the bartender with the sxs in "The Shootist" that he wuzn't a CAS shooter. Opie woodda been toast.

Yeah and then the bugger went and tossed that nice SAA through the window

I still think his THE QUIET MAN was his best.

Close, but I'll take The Searchers.

Just watch The Conqueror. You'll soon lose your appetite for the Duke.

I've always avoided that one. What could he have been thinking? Must have been paying off a bet that he lost.

Yeah and then the bugger went and tossed that nice SAA through the window

Nice!!!! Yes they were, but Not Colt SAA. they were 1950's Great Westerns made in Venice Beach area before Colt started making them again in 1955-'56.

When Young Gilliam Rogers throws the Gun, it just goes far into the corner, not out the window.......Just sayin'

Jake

P.S.

Marketing and use in films[edit]

Hollywood importer and gun shop owner, Heywood (Hy) Hunter, became involved in the marketing and promotion of Great Western Arms.[7]

Wilson presented John Wayne with an engraved blued pair with smooth ivory grips that Wayne used in The Shootist.[4] Both John Wayne and Audie Murphy were spokesmen for the company and appeared in the majority of their brochures, catalogs and advertisements, despite rumors to the contrary, neither men were partial owners or held a financial stake in the company. A specially made Great Western revolver was built for Don Knotts in the Disney movie, The Shakiest Gun in the West; this revolver was built in a manner that it would fall apart when cocking the hammer.[2]

In 1955 a nickel plated revolver with a 512 inch barrel chambered in 38 Special was presented to President Dwight Eisenhower and a similar model to California GovernorGoodwin J. Knight.[8]

When Young Gilliam Rogers throws the Gun, it just goes far into the corner, not out the window.......Just sayin'

It's funny because you see it go into the corner but then you hear the door/window break so I always wondered if it went through lol

Word is he actually threw a Ruger Vaquero in that scene

we could go along with that cause we all know the ruger would not break back at yah GW

Interesting information regarding the Great Western Colt's reproductions. Thanks.

I cringed when Opie threw the revolver downrange onto the tiled saloon floor and I still think that act was senseless, diminishing and detracting from the movie.

I've always avoided that one. What could he have been thinking? Must have been paying off a bet that he lost.

It was probably similar to Dale Robertson getting talked into doing Son of Sinbad so Howard Hughes could make good on the promises he had made to ambitious starlets, all at the same time.

Interesting information regarding the Great Western Colt's reproductions. Thanks.

I cringed when Opie threw the revolver downrange onto the tiled saloon floor and I still think that act was senseless, diminishing and detracting from the movie.

Especially since, in the book, Gillam snuck out the saloon with both of the guns stuck up under his coat.

I agree with BMC.....The Quiet Man was his best work. He deserved the Oscar for Leading Man for that movie. The Shootist was an homage to a brilliant career Oscar. But, not JW's best work.

Archived