SASS Wire Forum

Primers Seat High? When's the last time you reamed the primer pockets?

John Boy

If it is driving you nuts whey your primers are sporadically seating high when your reloading - the reason is the brass primer pockets need to be reamed!

Background: was loading a can of absolutely clean Colts yesterday. Was getting many high primers. Even readjusted the primer seater height on the Dillon 550B to no avail. Then I looked at the pockets of the empty brass in the can - didn't look right. Reamed a dozen and the rounds seated perfectly flush primers.

So the morale is ... make sure your primer pockets are reamed flat to allow the primer to seat flush against the pocket base to allow the anvils to crush against the pocket base below the head of the case ... and not have high primers

Never have an issue if the p'pockets are clean.

I only 'uniform' my 'match' ammo.

JB, CK the bell-crank on your 550-Mine start'd do'n as yours one time and the BC was crack'd where the handle tab join'd the body of the BC.

Also, make sure the shell plate has the bare minimum up/down play.

LG

I assume that you mean primer pocket 'cleaning'

There are some reloaders who will use a decapper and then wet tumble the cases with stainless steel pins following by a dry tumble. The wet tumble does a good job cleaning primer pocket residue as well as remove powder residue from inside the cases. I suspect that it removes tarnish as well. The cases look brand new when completed.

My dad had quite a few high primers and found that pocket cleaning resolved his problems as well. It's hard to tell how many times some of his cases were fired.

This ^^^^^^^. I haven't cleaned a primer pocket in 10 years other than tumbling after depriming.

Grits - I went through the whole "adjustment" items drill on the Dillon and assured myself all were copasetic. But when I turned the reamer - there was an uneven base

So in the future - plan to take a few pieces of brass out of the cans (they are all Starline) for a sample testing

I never clean the primer pockets. About five years ago had problems seating primers with my Dillon 650. I called and was told that maybe the primer plunger may not be straight. They sent a new one plus a few other parts to replace, have not had a problem since. Once in a while I may have two or three primers out of a thousand that may be high. It's because when cranking out the cartridges I sometimes don't apply enough force to seat the primers properly.

I never clean the primer pockets either HOWEVER!!!!!! The last few times I reloaded I was getting some high primers with the Dillon550 and also with a hand primer! All different brass too! Guess I'm gonna have to clean the primer pockets…BTW…I shoot black almost exclusively!! :unsure:

Rye

Its not the pockets its the primer seater is full of dirt. Remove it, spray it while pushing the stem up and down until clean. Reinslall good for another 100K

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Yes, I used to. I don't bother anymore.

I use Win 231 and Win primers and I don't have enough debris left in them to bother.

I reckon you mean cleaning instead of reaming maybe.

MG

Archived