• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many people (spotters) are required to call a procedural on a shooter? kR

Did ya have a bad weekend?

Fillmore

Did ya have a bad weekend?

Fillmore

No jest curious as I have asked before and gotten several different answers. I looked in the rules but didn't find it. I figured PWB would tell me where to look it up. Only way to have a bad weekend is to end up with holes in yer boots. Thanks fer all the replies. kR

No jest curious as I have asked before and gotten several different answers. I looked in the rules but didn't find it. I figured PWB would tell me where to look it up. Only way to have a bad weekend is to end up with holes in yer boots. Thanks fer all the replies. kR

I'ma thunkin' ya had a hole in yore boots and got "P" ed on ;)

I just got one of 'em this past weekend..

Dang good thing ya can't get 2 in one stage :D

Shot the rifle sequence wrong and then the shotgun sequence on the same stage.. :blink:
after the rifle... i was thinkin'.. What the heck did I do on the rifle sequence :wacko:

Sure enough.. got the shotgun wrong too.. :mellow:

Rance ;)

Thinkin' it's heck ta have them ol' brain farts all the time.. :):D

Gotta keep my head in the game... :unsure:

the rifle sequence was already done and gone :blush:

Rance....I been there. Very first Wild Bunch stage I ever shot was this year....shot the pistol fine and then grabbed my rifle and shot six shots and six targets fell. Then I picked up my Model 12 and went to shoot the shotgun targets and don'tcha know all six shotgun targets were already knocked down....yep I Ped on maself that stage fer shore.

Kajun

Rance....I been there. Very first Wild Bunch stage I ever shot was this year....shot the pistol fine and then grabbed my rifle and shot six shots and six targets fell. Then I picked up my Model 12 and went to shoot the shotgun targets and don'tcha know all six shotgun targets were already knocked down....yep I Ped on maself that stage fer shore.

Kajun

My thinkin' only Kraz... :mellow:

I'm thinkin' ya got off lucky...

I'm thinkin' ya should have got 6 misses on the rifle targets ..

and then shot where the shotgun targets should have been...

that would have been 30 seconds penalty fer yer 6 misses instead of 10 seconds fer a procedual.. :wacko:

Rance ;)

Just my thinkin'...

Edit: This oughta' start somethin' :D

Rance....I got my P and all the misses I deserved...no doubt. My point was that I've been in a real stinker performance on a stage too..real brain fade for sure.

REF: RO1 pp. 7-9

I inquired about this several years ago. The only reference to procedurals on pages 7-9 In the RO1 manual is on page 7.

L) It is up to the Timer Operator to verify at least two of the three Spotters agree on misses.

The Timer Operator should consider input from the Spotters regarding procedurals and/or

safety violations as well as personal observations during the stage. Final determination

regarding assessment of penalties is made by the Timer Operator.

But nowhere does it say that a TO can call a procedural by himself..

Add me to it, at The Outlaw Trail I got a p first in many years. I shot the wrong set of pistol targets first was so use to being able to shoot targets in any order during this match or starting on either end but this specified you had to start with these targets first. My plan going in the the stage was to start there but when I drew my revolver the others looked better. Oh well it happens as they say.

Rules must have changed. I always thought the RO was responsible to report penalties to the timekeeper and it is his call except for misses. So in the extreme after getting spotters inputs, the RO can call a P even tho zero spotters saw it. He better be 100% confident in his call if he does it. Might be time to change spotters. He can also make the call for a P even if only one spotter saw a P. He can also over ride a P that 2 or 3 spotters saw. Again he better be 100% cetain the spotters were wrong. Them were the rules I was taught, looks like maybe it were wrong. In cases where the RO over ruled the spotters he better explain his actions to all and include what he saw no one else saw. If the shooter disagrees, he has a process to appeal the ROs decision.

I inquired about this several years ago. The only reference to procedurals on pages 7-9 In the RO1 manual is on page 7.

L) It is up to the Timer Operator to verify at least two of the three Spotters agree on misses.

The Timer Operator should consider input from the Spotters regarding procedurals and/or

safety violations as well as personal observations during the stage. Final determination

regarding assessment of penalties is made by the Timer Operator.

But nowhere does it say that a TO can call a procedural by himself..

Yes it does...

Final determination regarding assessment of penalties is made by the Timer Operator.

You stopped reading too soon...or simply missed THAT part.

I can read. Where does it say "the timer operator can call a procedural by himself"?

:lol:

I really wish folks would write TO or CRO instead of RO when they are talking about the Timer Operator! :blush: The following is from p. 6 of the ROI. "All match positions described below are Range Officers. The Timer Operator is the Chief Range Officer during shooting stage operations."

I can read. Where does it say "the timer operator can call a procedural by himself"?

" It is up to the Timer Operator to verify at least two of the three Spotters agree on misses. The Timer Operator should consider input from the Spotters regarding procedurals and/or safety violations as well as personal observations during the stage. Final determination regarding assessment of penalties is made by the Timer Operator."

" It is up to the Timer Operator to verify at least two of the three Spotters agree on misses. The Timer Operator should consider input from the Spotters regarding procedurals and/or safety violations as well as personal observations during the stage. Final determination regarding assessment of penalties is made by the Timer Operator."

"The Timer Operator should consider input from the Spotters regarding procedurals".

What it says is that "final determination regarding assessment of penalties is made by the timer operator". What is doesn't say is making the call himself without the input of the spotters.

"The Timer Operator should consider input from the Spotters regarding procedurals".

What it says is that "final determination regarding assessment of penalties is made by the timer operator". What is doesn't say is making the call himself without the input of the spotters.

I think you are reading too much into it. What it doesn't say is the Timer Operator cannot make the call on his/her own. Nor does it say the Timer Operator MUST have input from the spotters.

I think you are reading too much into it. What it doesn't say is the Timer Operator cannot make the call on his/her own.

This is a really poorly written rule that has caused a lot of confusion and consternation which is why the OP asked for clarification in the first place. It is contradictory in that it asks for spotter input on misses procedurals and safety violations and then attempts to over-ride them and give the authority to one person with one set of eyes from only one perspective when in another section of pages 7-9 in the RO1 manual it says that the function of the TO is to be watching the timer and not looking for misses, procedurals, etc. :blink:

So what is your solution?

The solution is to have the rule written for consistency and fairness. If we have three spotters (located at different positions and angles for a reason) and they are polled by the TO for misses, procedurals, safety violations, etc. the function of the TO is to discuss any inconsistencies in what the spotters reported until a consensus is reached among them (whether all 3 spotters saw it or didn't see it, or 2 to 1, or 1 to 2) majority rules. It should not be the function of the TO to over-rule the consensus but only to report the findings of the spotters and the time to the scorer. Why should one person have the authority to make a judgement call by theirself that no one else saw?

The solution is to have the rule written for consistency and fairness. If we have three spotters (located at different positions and angles for a reason) and they are polled by the TO for misses, procedurals, safety violations, etc. the function of the TO is to discuss any inconsistencies in what the spotters reported until a consensus is reached among them (whether all 3 spotters saw it or didn't see it, or 2 to 1, or 1 to 2) majority rules. It should not be the function of the TO to over-rule the consensus but only to report the findings of the spotters and the time to the scorer. Why should one person have the authority to make a judgement call by theirself that no one else saw?

Thousands of shooters shooting thousands of stages, never see an issue, spotters see penalties, call them and the TO/RO agrees. Sometimes, actually rarely, however, the TO/RO is in a lot better position to see what the shooter actually did. Sometimes the spotters just do not get the stage sequence correctly. It can be a safety penalty the spotters did not see. Sometimes with sequences giving the shooter the maximum flexibility in how the stage is to be shot and the shooter does it differently than every other shooter, the spotters say P and the TO/RO says no the shooter complied with the stage instructions, just did it differently than everyone else.

Because if they are in the right place they are watching the shooter and where the gun is pointed. They are not watching the timer they are holding it and insuring that the final shot is registered on the timer. That the only time he should be looking at the timer and he can do both see the timer and the gun/shooter at the same time if they try.

Good luck!

I tried watching the "Timer"...ended up tripping all over myself.

I usually keep my eyes on the shooter...glancing at the timer to make sure it's in a position to record shots...but...

WHAT THE HECK DO I KNOW????

:wacko:

Archived