SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Coach Gun problem

Brazos Bill Dupree

I have a 12ga Stoeger that starting acting up on me last night. I place two rounds into the gun and it fires both barrels, then the next time it will fire just one the left. I re-cock it and it fires. Then it will repeat at the next stage, I first thought it would be a spring problem, but then it fired. The primer strike is heavy on one side

and almost non existent on the second barrel.Anyone have this problem and what is the fix? I saw on you-tube they were having the same problem but I could not find the video with the fix for it.

Brazos Bill

Have you replaced the firing pins in that Stoeger?? They are a bit soft, and notorious for mushrooming, and retarding the firing pin strike. Longhunter sells stainless steel pins to replace them, and also the spanner wrench necessary to replace them. This could well be your problem, and replacing the pins is going to be necessary at some point anyway.

I would change the firing pins before doing anything else. Big chance that that's your problem.

RBK

The first thing you need to do is identify whether it is a single trigger or double trigger. Then you need to describe any mods/action work.

You mean to tell me you not A mind reader ????? That explains why you haven't responded to the question I was thinking :-p

Stoeger 12ga, SxS internal hammers and double trigger. Action job done but I did not have the work done, So I know barrels have been chamfered, and safety has been disabled.

Brazos Bill

Have you lightened the spring on the opening lever?

To make it easier to push..

Too light of a spring and the barrels will actually pop open a tiny bit causing a problem like this..

Need approx. 16 coils (if I remember right)

Rance

Thinkin' I've done that..

Have you lightened the spring on the opening lever?

To make it easier to push..

Too light of a spring and the barrels will actually pop open a tiny bit causing a problem like this..

Need approx. 16 coils (if I remember right)

Rance

Thinkin' I've done that..

a big +1, have someone watch you fire it very closely to see if it is opening slightly after the first shot, do this before doing anything else. if it isn't this, then go ahead and spend money on firing pins, but only after making sure it's not opening slightly first.

you can imagine very easily how I know this....

Have you replaced the firing pins in that Stoeger?? They are a bit soft, and notorious for mushrooming, and retarding the firing pin strike. Longhunter sells stainless steel pins to replace them, and also the spanner wrench necessary to replace them.

The wrench isn't always a necessity. I was able to take my retaining collars out with a brass pin punch and a small mallet. But for stubborn collars the wrench will definitely make it easier.

I was having the exact same problem. I finally took the butstock off and...eventually....saw that the right hammer was not lined up with the firing pin. The right firing pin hole was obviously drilled too far to the right at the factory.

I diassembled the action and removed the hammer. I cold forged the hammer to properly line up with thr firing pin. Meaning i put the hammer in a vise and whacked it with a 20oz frming hammer....it didn,t break so i reassembled and used it for several months until the stock chipped and i treated myself to a BSS?

i expect it fail someday, but until then, it is my backup and loaner. I cain,t ever sell it knowing what I know.

CS

But thats the gun I wanna buy Cowboy...come on....Jim

a big +1, have someone watch you fire it very closely to see if it is opening slightly after the first shot, do this before doing anything else. if it isn't this, then go ahead and spend money on firing pins, but only after making sure it's not opening slightly first.

An easy tell is when it fails to fire the second barrel open the action and check the primer for marks. If the action is trying to come open there will be a slight dimple just below the center of the primer where the firing pin hit but missed the center because it was out of alignment.

Firing both barrels is an indication that the second hammer isn't fully engaging the sear on the second trigger. The recoil from the first shot is enough vibration to release the second hammer. It occurs more often when the gun is not held tightly in the shoulder.

The second problem is similar to the first except that the second hammer doesn't engage the sear on the first try.

There is 4 or five bearing points that need to be checked to determine exactly what the problem is.

The easiest to fix is a dirty sear engagement.

Take the stock off and flush out with carb cleaner or other solvent based spray.

A lever spring that is too short will only result in the second malfunction.

If someone have "shortened" the spring to make it lighter. Change the spring out for the proper length spring from Longhunt.com

Another thing to check when you get lite strikes on one side and not on the other is the inside of the buttstock where the internal hammers can and sometimes do rub. Take the stock off and check in that location to see if the wood is shiny. If it is remove a small amount, that may solve the problem. kR

This conversation couldn't come at a better time, my last match on the first stage my stoeger fired the first barrel but wouldn't fire the second. I tried a couple of times and it just wouldn't work. When I got home I took a look at the pins and they seem to be ok but after reading this I remember that it felt like the gun was almost opening when I fired the first barrel. A pard out in CA gave me this gun when my family first got into CAS and it already had some work done to it. What is the best way to go about fixing this???

SPK

This conversation couldn't come at a better time, my last match on the first stage my stoeger fired the first barrel but wouldn't fire the second. I tried a couple of times and it just wouldn't work. When I got home I took a look at the pins and they seem to be ok but after reading this I remember that it felt like the gun was almost opening when I fired the first barrel. A pard out in CA gave me this gun when my family first got into CAS and it already had some work done to it. What is the best way to go about fixing this???

SPK

You can try a get a stock lever spring and put back in it..

Makes the lever purty hard ta push.. :blink:

I took a stock Ruger Hammer spring and cut it to 16 coils...

Made it a little lighter but still works..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' it doesn't pop open tho :wacko:

Edit: I think Long Hunter sells modified lever springs for the Stoeger..

Firing both barrels is an indication that the second hammer isn't fully engaging the sear on the second trigger. The recoil from the first shot is enough vibration to release the second hammer. It occurs more often when the gun is not held tightly in the shoulder.

The second problem is similar to the first except that the second hammer doesn't engage the sear on the first try.

There is 4 or five bearing points that need to be checked to determine exactly what the problem is.

The easiest to fix is a dirty sear engagement.

Take the stock off and flush out with carb cleaner or other solvent based spray.

A lever spring that is too short will only result in the second malfunction.

If someone have "shortened" the spring to make it lighter. Change the spring out for the proper length spring from Longhunt.com

I agree - first thought I had. Both problems can come from the same condition. Check the sear engagement on the bad side. Hell, check 'em both! If you don't know how, there are a lot of good smiths trying to make a living. Help 'em out.

CR

Archived