SASS Wire Forum

Its Motorcycle Season..

Now that the busy time of the year for me is about over, its time to ride. I have had my license since the 80s, but, stopped riding for a time as my kids grew up.

My daughter graduated highschool a couple of weeks ago, and asked for a bike. Yeah man!

We took the MSF together and she is now the proud owner of a Yamaha V-Star 250. We found a 2008 that was garaged and had only 140 miles on it. We snapped hat one up.

My brother decided to stop riding 10 years ago, so he gave me his 1990 Suzuki Intruder 1400. It has been sitting in his garage unridden for 10 years.

So, my daughter and I hooked up the trailer to the truck and did the 10 hour round trip drive to Boston, picked up the bike and brought it back here to PA.

I got a visit in with my brother, his wife and kids, my Mom, and, the road trip with my daughter was awsome!

What do you ride?

1996 Honda Shadow Ace 1100. The only, ever American Made Honda Motorcycle. They were made here for 4 years, 96 being one of those.

Howdy all,

I last rode a motorcycle December 27, 2000. At that time I was riding a 1986 Yamaha XV750 Virago, a V-Twin that was bored out. Had an accident that day, did not damage the bike at all. It never hit the ground, but a word of advice. If the bike starts to go down at 30 MPH. DO NOT STOP IT!! Learned the hard way. Also it is not a good idea to tow start a motorcycle.

You all might like the bike I leared to ride on. A 1947 Indian Chief, I was 10 years old. I was 6 months old the first time my dad gave me a ride on a motorcycle.

My current bike is a '98 Honda Valkyrie Touring. Despite the name, it is a cruising bike not a tour bike. It does have the six-cylinder, 1520 cc engine, just like the Gold Wing. This bike is currently for sale, as I can't ride it one-legged, and can't get it triked right now.

Oh, Poet, the Valkyrie was made 100% in Marysville, Ohio. Says so right on the manufacturer's plate. Dates of manufacture were 1997-2003.

2005 Ducati Monster S4R (I just love to carve those mountain roads)

Speaking of carving roads....

Going to this race is on my Bucket List (to watch not ride, those guys are insane!)

JEL

2012 Ducati Monster 696

2012 Can Am Spyder RT

1983 Honda V45 Magna

1982 Honda CX500 Custom

1974 Honda CL360 (not working)

1973 Norton Commando (in parts)

Gave up riding a couple of years ago but was dedicated to BMW Airheads they took you where ever you wanted to go but more importantly they brought me home!

By the way check the gas tank for rust if they have been sitting they may have rusted inside. I would at least put gas line filters on those bikes so they will not clog up

the carb if they did rust some. Watch out for blind blind drivers they are everywhere and will not see you. Best advise I ever got when I started riding was expect that

anybody else driving on the road will not see you! Be careful and have fun, I did!

Mine's a custom 1985 Harley Sportster, 1000 cc. I haven't been able to ride much the past few years due to my back trouble. As much as I hate to do it, It's for sale. I'd rather see someone else enjoy it than see it rot away in the garage. :(

I Have been ridding now for about 42 years .

I raced for 25 years .

I now just love to ride my SLOW Harley Davidson Shovel head I restored a few year ago .

Ruth is a 1978 1/2 first year 80inch .

2014-05-24085516_zpsc66e5cf4.jpg

Current Ride is a 2007 Road King Police

I am liking this bike alot

Coffee

Wow, Dusty, that is an awsome Indian. Its the new old look.. How does run?

Haha, Joe, the bag limit is 2 and you cook em hard and fast! ;)

Sarky, good to know Suzuki MS=Cs are tough-built. Mine has been sitting a long time.

Ruff, you run out of gas or the plugs fouled up?

Billy, I was drooling over the soft tail slim, and the 48 and the 883 Super Low. Any reason to stick with the Soft tail when I get the coin together?

John E Law, that was the Isle of Man! Insane is right! Suicide jockies for sure.. Wobble at any speed is darn scary. Been there.

jrswanson1, which one did you like the best?

Uhhh IR, you ride an Indian Chief?

Yeah, Cheatin Charlie, when we cranked up the Intruder it started dribbling gasoline, so, fuel line and gaskets will be a must, along with tires and the clutch was really spongy too.

Rooster, noce bike, why is it called a Shovel Head?

Thanks to all those who replied. The Suzuki I drug home is in the shop getting assessed, so, if it is repairable for less than blue book, I'll ride it. If not, I'll be up for the ride of my choice. :)

What for the accident? Nope, tried tow starting a motorcycle with the neighbors truck and a rope.

Wow, Dusty, that is an awsome Indian. Its the new old look.. How does run?

Haha, Joe, the bag limit is 2 and you cook em hard and fast! ;)

Sarky, good to know Suzuki MS=Cs are tough-built. Mine has been sitting a long time.

Billy, I was drooling over the soft tail slim, and the 48 and the 883 Super Low. Any reason to stick with the Soft tail when I get the coin together?

John E Law, that was the Isle of Man! Insane is right! Suicide jockies for sure.. Wobble at any speed is darn scary. Been there.

jrswanson1, which one did you like the best?

Uhhh IR, you ride an Indian Chief?

Yeah, Cheatin Charlie, when we cranked up the Intruder it started dribbling gasoline, so, fuel line and gaskets will be a must, along with tires and the clutch was really spongy too.

Rooster, noce bike, why is it called a Shovel Head?

Thanks to all those who replied. The Suzuki I drug home is in the shop getting assessed, so, if it is repairable for less than blue book, I'll ride it. If not, I'll be up for the ride of my choice. :)

The rocker box on top of the head is shaped like a shovel.

This motor replaced the pan head witch replaced the knuckle head .

Virgil,

I went with the softail because it sits a bit lower than the other models. Being only 5' 6 I reach the ground easier when sitting on it. Plus it gives the looks of the old hardtails.

Those are all I currently own. I switch up my commuting duties between the Spyder and the Monster. Once I get the registration settled with the CX500 I'll add her to the rotation.

2005 Ducati Monster S4R (I just love to carve those mountain roads)

Speaking of carving roads....

Going to this race is on my Bucket List (to watch not ride, those guys are insane!)

JEL

I'll tell you what's insane. It's the spectators standing 6 feet from the racing surface on the outside of the curves.

I've got two. A 2001 Ducati 996 and a 2006 Ducati 800SS.

I use the 800SS for commuting and errands to save wear and tear on the 996, which I use primarily for romps in the country.

If you've ever seen the demotivator below, then you've seen my 996. I don't know who made it but they stole my picture.

Its ok though, I got a good laugh when I saw it so I don't mind.

i-M8mN7Wd-M.jpg

I ride both kinds of bikes: Harley and Davidson:

1983 FXRS last of the shovel 1st 5 speed FXR's- 89k

1993 FXLR-127k

2001 FLTR Road Glide- 89k

All three have been around the USA at least 5 times. All three have been on at least 5 Rolling Thunder Across America and or Carry the Flame Across America runs. All three have been to Sturgis Rally and Races. All three have been to Harley Anniversaries in Milwaukee.

None of them have ever been trailered to anywhere except the mechanic.

'07 Yamaha FJR 1300 I bought new in Sep '08 (64,000 miles)

'14 BMW R1200GSA I bought new in April (4,500 miles)

Put 24,000 miles on an '03 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic until I bought the FJR.

Bought a '12 H-D Ultra Classic Peace Officer's Special Edition last year as a retirement gift to myself. Put 12,000 miles on it in eight months but just never could get comfortable on it. That's when I went with the GSA.

What for the accident? Nope, tried tow starting a motorcycle with the neighbors truck and a rope.

Ouch!

The rocker box on top of the head is shaped like a shovel.

This motor replaced the pan head witch replaced the knuckle head .

Okay, I should have guessed as I saw a pan head last night on Biker Live TV show.

Virgil,

I went with the softail because it sits a bit lower than the other models. Being only 5' 6 I reach the ground easier when sitting on it. Plus it gives the looks of the old hardtails.

Okay, some tell me it was a bit easier on longer rides, but I don't know cause I don't own a Harley ... yet

Those are all I currently own. I switch up my commuting duties between the Spyder and the Monster. Once I get the registration settled with the CX500 I'll add her to the rotation.

It must be contagious ... several people posted that have multiple bikes! Something to consider...

I'll tell you what's insane. It's the spectators standing 6 feet from the racing surface on the outside of the curves.

Yeah, truth right there!

I've got two. A 2001 Ducati 996 and a 2006 Ducati 800SS.

I use the 800SS for commuting and errands to save wear and tear on the 996, which I use primarily for romps in the country.

If you've ever seen the demotivator below, then you've seen my 996. I don't know who made it but they stole my picture.

Its ok though, I got a good laugh when I saw it so I don't mind.

i-M8mN7Wd-M.jpg

I love that poster! ^_^

I ride both kinds of bikes: Harley and Davidson:

1983 FXRS last of the shovel 1st 5 speed FXR's- 89k

1993 FXLR-127k

2001 FLTR Road Glide- 89k

All three have been around the USA at least 5 times. All three have been on at least 5 Rolling Thunder Across America and or Carry the Flame Across America runs. All three have been to Sturgis Rally and Races. All three have been to Harley Anniversaries in Milwaukee.

None of them have ever been trailered to anywhere except the mechanic.

Sturgis... that is on my bucket list for sure! You sure do get around Browther King..

'07 Yamaha FJR 1300 I bought new in Sep '08 (64,000 miles)

'14 BMW R1200GSA I bought new in April (4,500 miles)

Put 24,000 miles on an '03 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic until I bought the FJR.

Bought a '12 H-D Ultra Classic Peace Officer's Special Edition last year as a retirement gift to myself. Put 12,000 miles on it in eight months but just never could get comfortable on it. That's when I went with the GSA.

Well, funny about miltiple motorcycles, now my son wants one! I can only go halves with him, so he is saving his coin while I save mine for bike number three!

I almost got my bike back today. They fixed the spongy clutch but missed the gas leak. I told them to go look again. :(

i-M8mN7Wd-M.jpg

You don't know how close that poster hits home. With a 4 year old granddaughter, a 3 year old son, another son due in 5 weeks, and another grandchild due in December finding time to get out and shoot is hard enough let alone getting the time to ride to.

As for the mini-van I sold my Honda 919, my Suzuki SV 650 track bike, my wife's GS500, and my Ducati 1198 when my son was born.

I should really sell my Monster to but it's just so pretty!

image_zps3a21052a.jpg

JEL

This is my Go fast Harley Davidson ( Buell )

This is a hand built factory race bike .

It runs a hoped up Sportster motor .

Its a 460 pound race bike .

With a 116hp motor and 103 FTP torque

1992Buellm2cyclone2_zps779e344d.jpg

1977 R100RS

1984 R100CS

1988 K75S

1990 K75S

Sadly, the 2 R100's are 900 miles away & I'm having a hard time getting to ride the K's any more. About 180,000 miles total on the 4.

35 years of great memories.

Archived