SASS Wire Forum

Another Loading Strip Question

Checotah

Started to post this on another thread, but decided it might highjack that thread.

The topic is use of loading strips/blocks. I tried the loading strip routine but it isn't as easy for me, compared to carrying the rounds to the loading table in a bandana, loading the guns, stuffing the bandana into my belt, and using it to carry the empty brass back to my cart at the end of the stage. For those who do use loading strips/blocks, how do you retrieve your empty brass?

my loading strip hangs from my knife on the right side of belt. I keep a red bandanna in my left back pocket. I use it to wipe my hands and face as needed, and when I gather my empties at the unloading table I drop them all in to the bandana (I eject the pistols right over the bandana so they dromp right in. then carry it back to cart and empty into the bag and pocket the bandana. seems to have worked for me.

curley

my loading strip hangs from my knife on the right side of belt. I keep a red bandanna in my left back pocket. I use it to wipe my hands and face as needed, and when I gather my empties at the unloading table I drop them all in to the bandana (I eject the pistols right over the bandana so they dromp right in. then carry it back to cart and empty into the bag and pocket the bandana. seems to have worked for me.

curley

Had your Lead Levels checked lately. Ask for it next time you have a blood test

I have 5 loading blocks made by my brother and dad when I started in the game. They are fairly simple to make. 4 rows of 5 drilled in a good piece of hard wood and a leather cover w/snaps to keep together. The empties bag with a simple leather lace for a drawstring does the trick nicely.

my loading strip hangs from my knife on the right side of belt. I keep a red bandanna in my left back pocket. I use it to wipe my hands and face as needed, and when I gather my empties at the unloading table I drop them all in to the bandana (I eject the pistols right over the bandana so they dromp right in. then carry it back to cart and empty into the bag and pocket the bandana. seems to have worked for me.curley

Any concerns about transferring lead from empties to bandanna to face to blood?

Guest Maker-Wright

I use a loading block, and keep a bandana in my back pocket. At the unload table, I clear my long guns, then lay the bandana over the long guns so a little triangular pit is formed between the rifle lever, rilfe buttstock, and top of the shot gun buttstock. If the wind is blowing, I tuck outer edges of the bandana under the outside edges of the long guns to keep it from blowing away. Revolvers get emptied right into the bandana "pit". When the brasser comes to the table, I have them dump it all right into the pit too. It can all be carried to the guncart in one trip, and sorted out when you get there.

I never touch my face with the bandana (that's what Kleenex is for... use it and pitch it), the bandana goes in the wash when I get home, and a fresh bandana gets wrapped around the loading block before I put the cart away. That way, I've got to handle the bandana to get to the loading block at the beginning of the shoot, and the bandana gets put right into my back pocket so I don't forget to take it with me to the loading table.

There was a supplier here who used to come to the matches. He made heavy canvas "envelopes" (about the only way I can describe them). The canvas envelopes measure about 4" wide by about 7" long. On one side there are two rows of bullet loops. The top row is divided into two groups of 5 loops each and the row under ththat is one longer row of ten loops. These canvas "strips" hold enough ammo for one stage. There's a flap that folds over the other side and snaps shut. This snap is pulled open and the envelope space is where you put your brass from the unloading table. Each envelope has a carrying loop you can slip over your knife, you can carry it back to your cart or you can slide the envelope under you gunbelt in the back.

A club that had a 3 day match gave a embroidered canvas bag with draw string in shooters packet. That's what I use for brass.

There was a supplier here who used to come to the matches. He made heavy canvas "envelopes" (about the only way I can describe them). The canvas envelopes measure about 4" wide by about 7" long. On one side there are two rows of bullet loops. The top row is divided into two groups of 5 loops each and the row under ththat is one longer row of ten loops. These canvas "strips" hold enough ammo for one stage. There's a flap that folds over the other side and snaps shut. This snap is pulled open and the envelope space is where you put your brass from the unloading table. Each envelope has a carrying loop you can slip over your knife, you can carry it back to your cart or you can slide the envelope under you gunbelt in the back.

Cat,

What you describe are the loading pouches I use for each stage in a match, loaded the night before. I have six pouches each in 38or 44-45, depending on what I am shooting.

The canvas loops easily retain, yet quickly release the shells, and the "envelope" pouch holds the empties to take back to the cart.

There are a few vendors for these, and some even make 38-44/45 hybrids.

I have several leather loading strips and blocks, but this is what I have come to use exclusively.

i made a leather pouch to fit my loading blocks, which are also attached to the pouch via a leather thong that seems to come on most of the blocks. When I load the blocks I put them in the pouch until I go to the LOADING table After loading, the block hangs loose from the pouch until I go to the UNLOADING table, at which time I have the empty pouch which can hold the brass until I get to my cart to start the process over again.. For on the spot use, I do not think anything will be quicker or easier. To get leather as slick as a well fitted block would mean that the loops were to loose to be secure in the leather. I know for a fact that, just like leather straps, not all wood blocks are made equal so ask for recommendations.

My wife got one at last years W/R and loves it.

I've found that it's easier to park my cart near the loading table. Go to the table with revolvers, rifle, and 100 round ammo box. Load guns, and return to cart, drop off ammo, and get shotgun. This way there is no need to fiddle with a loading strip. I use a leather bucket with a loop for my brass; drop it off at the unloading table when going forward to hear the stage being read. Loop it over my shoulder when finished unloading and go back to my cart. Loop the bucket over my shotgun barrel.

Archived