SASS Wire Forum

Too far gone to start over?

Smithy

Howdy folks: As I do with anything, I jumped into SASS head first a number of years ago and have been shooting single action ever since then. I then received some bad news that took me out of the game. My diabetes (now of 37 years) had started taking its toll. Working its way from my feet up, more and more nerves started dying and making things rough for me. At first it was just leg pain but as it moved its way up my bladder and kidney's next took a hit and then my stomach started to not work. That cost me my job and I'm now on Long Term Disability. I use a cane at best, but usually a walker. I lost a nerve in my eyelid and now sleep with one eye open, Literally. I have three machines total (one external and two implants) that keep me alive. A diabetic condition called frozen shoulder (where the ball joints of the body do not receive enough blood flow that it is extremely painful to move that joint) this one caught me in my left shoulder making it extremely hard to shoulder a long arm. So I gracefully removed myself from the game.

I then moved to 3 miles from my folks. Nearest relative besides me is a brother who lives in Texas. I figured I'd do the rest of my rotting here close to my parents. On SSI and extremely limited in movement, I still enjoy working on guns and collecting. My first run in SASS I was shooting Frontier Cartridge with black powder 45LC for both revolvers and rifle and black powder brass 12 gauge. After selling all my gear I thought to take on 44 magnum and got a couple of nice hunting rigs in the Bisley Hunter SBH and a 7.5" SRH all topped with Leupold scopes with the hope that I'd get just one more trip with my son to a stand only Pig hunt. That never materialized and as with the long arm, a long barreled handgun was just as bad if not worse. My collection now consists of short barreled revolvers with a 5.5" Bisley being the longest barreled gun I have.

Well I noticed the other day (now 38 exclusively save one 44 mag Alaskan) I'd been starting to pick up guns that would work in SASS. A bisley 5.5" in 357/38 and now a Davidson's Ruger Montado 3.75" Vaquero. I'd always shot a Rossi 92 in SASS and was working on getting one in 410. So I'm just shy the Rossi 92 in 38. Leather would not need to be the fancy Kirkpatrick as I had before, but could be the simple (read inexpensive) triple K. I pretty much wear cowboy duds anyway so I'm pretty set in that department.

So what do you all think? I live on the 99 in 95301 zip code. Would it be worth getting another gun and seeing if the closest club to me (a bit of a ride no matter which direction I head) woulds mind a slow going cowboy in a walker? My stage times were never sub minute anyway, so I might run double that, but I only shot for fun anyway and I did not have the skills to win any class or purse in the first place. I'd just like to get a few stages in before the diabetes takes me all the way out and God calls me home. Your thoughts on this and maybe a club close to my area? Smithy.

Smithy,

I sure hate to hear of your health situation.

I've never been aware of ANY club that would ban anyone under those conditions. Actually, I've shot in a few matches, local and state, where there was atleast one shooter who used a walker and chair during their match. No one complained and actually, I think everyone was always glad to see this person come to the matches.

And before you spend much money, the club(s) which you participate may be able to assist you with some appropriate firearms, especially considering you might not be a 'regular' attendee.

Best Wishes

..........Widder

I garantee you, that if you are near here, you are welcome to shoot with the BeauBassin Range Riders.

If you are get in touch Frenchy_Cannuck@rogers.com.

I imagine that will be how you are received averywhere else!

Good luck and god bless!

Frenchy

May God Bless you and hold you.I know you would be welcome to shoot and the clubs I shoot at.

If you feel you can do this safely, I will gladly be your caddy for the day. Paradise Pass welcomes all. Except Korrupt Karl........ but he comes back like a bad penny. <_<

Sounds like you have the courage to do it. I'm sure they will give you all the help you need. Stage times mean nothing , your a winner just showing up in my eyes.

Smithy,Don't know where you are but if your around me and you like the shoot a 92,I have one you can shoot all you want if you come to Orange,Texas.It is brass 357/38.

Hay Smithy .

I have not run in to your post in a wile .

I Hope you are doing OK.

I know you cant shoot and compete in the sport any more.

You are always welcome On the wire to BS with your friends and share your knowledge .

I am sure you would be a welcome site at your local cowboy shoots ( And you would love just being there )

When the time comes that I can no longer compete or shoot.

I will still always be a gun guy.

God bless you and yours.

Make sure wherever you go that you don't berate the club here on the Wire like you have in the past.

Fillmore

Welcome back Smithy. Life is short.

We live it, and learn from it - none of us is without fault - and we make corrections given the hand we are dealt. We do the best we are able, for as long as we are able.

I'd be proud to shoot with you.

Cheers,

Harvey

We have a shooter that rides his electric horse up to the loading table,loads,shoots-SLOW-and is helped all we can,just so he can shoot.As long as yer safe,GO FOR IT!! Too bad you don't live in the 96097 part of 99,we would love to love you to shoot with us.

Parson

This game has always been about the good people involved. I've seen too many of my pardners cross the Divide or be unable to participate due to serious heath reasons. I'm sure most would welcome you at which ever club you decide to visit.

If you can't shoot the entire match, so what? Just go and enjoy yourself. One of the best experiences I've had at Cowboy matches was a couple of years ago. I was recovering from knee surgery and could only walk with the use of a cane. It was driving me crazy--i had to throw on some cowboy clothing, so I went to matches at my club(Jackson Hole Gang of NJ--great bunch of people) and helped run a posse. Glad I did.

A lot of us are getting a bit older and getting through a match is not quite as easy as it used to be. But I hope one of the last things I do is send a Black Powder round down range at a Cowboy match!

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 25, 2014 - Insulting
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 25, 2014 - Insulting

Yes...there is a history...a "Story".

Said a lot of negative things about a club without knowing...frankly...what he was talking about.

Maybe he has changed...hope so...but...

I would probably avoid shooting if I were him. If the physical side is going down hill, I'm not so sure the rest of him will be able to make up for that deficiency.

Phantom

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 20, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 20, 2014 - No reason given

Phantom, take a long look in the mirror. Sleep well.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 20, 2014 - Non-productive...
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 20, 2014 - Non-productive...

Well Mr...whatever yer name is.

Be more specific...or can all you do is make silly empty statements?

Phantom

Archived