SASS Wire Forum

I found a piece of brass I'd forgotten about...

Grizzly Dave

Will 10 of those fit in your lever gun?

Yup looks like a 105, unless it has a ring around the neck. That would make it a 20pdr.

Looks like a tank round rather than a howitzer. Maybe an M60. I could be wrong.

Every time I see one for sale they want way too much.

UB, what do they go for? I was thinking scrap value alone has to be a bit.

I brought it back from Australia, was down there on a missions trip and the family I stayed with were using it as an umbrella stand, when I admired it they said take it home, please. Had to buy a new duffle bag to bring it back.

If it's from down under, it might be a 20 pdr. The Commonwealth used that round. Any headstampings on it?

I believe that's for a Brit 4.5" gun. Sometimes called a 60pdr. Makes sense if it came from Oz. The little arrow mark over the ICI is a British acceptance mark. I think it might be for a naval gun due to the IV marking.

The details of where is came from were kinda vague when I got it, and I don't even remember those much. Seems like some relative, maybe an uncle has brought it back from somewhere. That really clears it up, huh?

No matter, it makes a nice display piece or place to store my old wooden shotgun cleaning rods.

I could have done without the dead mouse that fell out when I turned it over to check the head stamp though.. :D

You have inadvertently built a better mouse trap. :D

I believe that's for a Brit 4.5" gun. Sometimes called a 60pdr. Makes sense if it came from Oz. The little arrow mark over the ICI is a British acceptance mark. I think it might be for a naval gun due to the IV marking.

yep. for a Brit or Aussie naval gun. 4.5 inch standard for the QF series deck guns.

You are NEVER going to find a primer to fit that, Grizz.

That said, I am sure it would make them steel targets ring.

For a long time and no question about a hit or a miss.

Spotters will love you.

CB, I don't think it will fit in my tumbler!

I've had it on the mantle with my old railroad signal lamps and such for years, I reckon that's where it's gonna stay for now. If we ever finally move and I get an actual man cave reloading room instead of a corner in the shop, then I'll figure out a good way to display it there, if not in the family room.

Archived