SASS Wire Forum

Need Stoeger Southpaw Shooting Solution

Mack Hacker, #60477

Yesterday, Lefty Lin was having trouble getting her Stoeger to open after it was fired. This afternoon, I tried it out in the yard and it worked great for me. When she gave it a try, it was the same as before. After some minor head scratching, it became obvious that she just wasn't pushing it far enough.

When I tried to operate it left handed, it became immediately clear that a double is not necessarily an ambidextrous gun for our game. Pushing the opening lever requires a longer thumb than pulling it.

Since I am as right handed as she is left handed, I am not much help.So, for you lefties, what is the gun handling technique or gunsmithing answer to this problem?

A lot of lefty's just bend the lever to the left a bit. If someone is really industrious they can convert the lever so it opens pushing it from the left or the right.

You guys are just too good. She lost confidence in me because I told her the first three answers would be

1 send it to Johnny Meadows

2 get her a 97

3 find a wife that is not defective

Spur Roberts would have just told her to hold it upside down

You guys are just too good. She lost confidence in me because I told her the first three answers would be

1 send it to Johnny Meadows

2 get her a 97

3 find a wife that is not defective

Spur Roberts would have just told her to hold it upside down

Makes shucking the empties more positive. But, it will make reloads a little slower. :)

I had the same problem........until Gunstock and Goatneck put their heads together and decided they would stretch my thumb....

I learned to do as Grizzzzz said - open it with my right hand.

What's the difference between a bent lever and a straight trigger?

it says both can be re-profiled.

They call bending the lever, re-profiling. But you can not bend a trigger to re-profile it. :blink:

But heck. Even a lot of righty's bend the SXS lever a little.

My feeling on modifications is:

If you can do it with a file, campfire heat and a hammer it should be ok.

From the shooters handbook:

" The top opening lever on break action shotguns may be bent (reprofiled) by no more than ½" from the center of the tang to the outside edge of the lever. "

My wife shoots the shotgun left handed. We had Run N Iron in Nebraska convert a Stoger so it will open when the lever is pushed to the left or the right. The lever stays in the middle until its pushed either way. She doesen't use it, she decided to keep shooting her Remington Spartin. What she does when she brings it down off her shoulder is hold the butt stock against her side so she can push the lever over to the right. Then keeps on going down with the butt stock to dump the hulls.

Archived