SASS Wire Forum

Is it too early to talk trash about college football?

Captain Bill Burt

It's OK, Badg: I've broken out the rum. I'll be completely harmless pretty soon.

And Sage... Never count the Trojans out! :P:D:lol:

I never count them out. I just got really down and ticked off about Kiffen. Couldn't stand him from day one. I went to school at USC a long time ago and have seen quite a few coaches come and go. I played football there in 1959 and 60. What I like is seeing some of the enthusium we had during the Pete Carrol era returning. Fight ON.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Sage, you played for John McKay! Proud, man, proud!

What do you think of Coach Orgeron and the role of emotion in motivating a college team?

When the NCAA sanctions expire next year, I think we can finally put a close to the Mike Garrett AD era. It can only get better.

FightON!!!

PS: I woke in the middle of last night with the realization that the Trojans beat The. #4. Team. In. The. Nation. Yeah, I'm an alumnus: completely nuts. :P

What do you think of Coach Orgeron and the role of emotion in motivating a college team? When the NCAA sanctions expire next year, I think we can finally put a close to the Mike Garrett AD era. It can only get better.

FightON!!!

PS: I woke in the middle of last night with the realization that the Trojans beat The. #4. Team. In. The. Nation. Yeah, I'm an alumnus: completely nuts. :P

Rum will sometimes do that to a body, Uno. :D

Watching Coach Pete Carrol is always interesting. I wonder how much he spends on chewing gum for a game?

Rum will sometimes do that to a body, Uno. :D

Watching Coach Pete Carrol is always interesting. I wonder how much he spends on chewing gum for a game?

Weren't the rum, Badg. Rather, all the unadulterated Diet Coke I was quaffing nervously during the game. One of the great things about being a lightweight is how little rum it takes to make you completely harmless. :P

Weren't the rum, Badg. Rather, all the unadulterated Diet Coke I was quaffing nervously during the game. One of the great things about being a lightweight is how little rum it takes to make you completely harmless. :P

I know this from my own personal experience. Lip walking is not a difficult thing if you do it correctly. :lol:

What do you think of Coach Orgeron and the role of emotion in motivating a college team?

When the NCAA sanctions expire next year, I think we can finally put a close to the Mike Garrett AD era. It can only get better.

FightON!!!

Back in the day, Freshman had to play Freshman football. In the last game of the season (we only played 6 or 7..can't remember exactly), I hurt my knee. We played in the Coliseum before the Baylor game and the Dodgers were still playing there. The skin infield was still in the closed end and I got hit from the blindside (I was a linebacker) and tore up my knee. Cleats wouldn't move at all in the dirt. Skipped spring ball in 1960 and played some in the fall. It was McKay's first year. Rehurt knee and that was it. Back then scholorships were not guaranteed and I didn't get to keep mine. Took me 10 more years to graduate.

I think Coach Orgeron should get the job, he has a lot of the enthusiasm that Pete Carrol has. That is part of what has been missing. You don't want to know what I think of Mike Garrett <_<

Sorry about your knee. That's tough.

I can imagine your opinion of Mike Garrett. I've a couple of friends in the Cardinal and Gold; the boosters wanted Garrett's head on a used paper plate for many years. The C&G believes that Garrett's block-headed dismissal of the NCAA is the reason the Bush sanctions are so extraordinarily harsh. Just one of his many poor decisions; Kiffin thankfully being one of his last. Good riddance.

Sorry about your knee. That's tough.

Funny thing about my knee, several years later, I was drafted and the US Army said...."there is nothing wrong with you son, we need you". Played 2 years of football for the 4th Army team. But have had a total replacement for 10 years now.

Well, it's Saturday and this orta' be back up on the front page!!

Texas A&M is trailing LSU at halftime.

Go 'Dores!!

Maybe if I don't say it too loud the football gods will side with me!! :unsure::o

Still trailing. Johnny football just threw an interception!

ME too!! 14 to 10 Vanderbilt over Tennessee!! Vandy guaranteed a winning season, a third consecutive bowl bid, and they beat their in state rival two years in a row.

The 'Dores fumbled four times, missed a field goal to tie the game, lost three of their four starting defensive secondary players to injury, and the fourth was disqualified on what was perhaps the WORST "targeting" calls in recent memory. The hit in question was initiated with both of the defensive player's hands hitting the receiver in the numbers while the receiver was airborn, and as the receiver came down on top of the defender, his facemask hit the top of the the safety's helmet. Pitiful call!!

The Vandy defense did have several interceptions, including one on a Tennessee fake field goal attempt.

On the final posession by Vandy, they drove 92 yds. including a facemask penalty on a first down run, and an overturned fourth down spot that was really obvious by the officials. The touchdown play to win the game was a play action fake a fake jump pass and a scamper into the end zone by their backup quarterback.

ANCHOR DOWN!!

I can't take many games like this!! They scored that final touchdown wit 16 seconds left!! :wacko::lol:

Attaboy Vandy!

Also enjoyed the Navy-SJS game last nite - 58-52 in triple overtime! On to the best rivalry in college FB - Army-Navy, for the Commander in Chief's Trophy.

Nice to see Baylor finally meeting a top quality opponent (and OKS absolutely annihilating them).

Nic e to see the SEC East title game will be have a team new to the SEC. ;)

Will be fun to watch the last couple weeks and see how the bowls and playoffs shape up! I'm looking forward to winter! :D

The PAC 12 Standings got knocked into a cocked hat this afternoon!! WOW!!

If them Okies had played like that earlier they mighta' been big bowl contenders. Over here in the SEC, we're still beating H#LL outa each other too!

Alabama handed Auburn an early Christmas gift. Saban orta' develop a kicking program. Auburn may well be the luckiest team in college sports history.

Missouri squelched the Manziel mistique.

Florida State finished off Florida's worst year in ages.

Ohio State survived a mediocre Michigan team, just barely!!

Vanderbilt beat Wake Forrest to go eight and four for the second consecutive season and go bowling for the third year in a row!

Many more disappointments and celebrations, but I didn't watch mutch after Vandy did their thing! ANCHOR DOWN!!

Now that SC lost to UCLA, big question for all us Trojan fans and alums is who is the next coach. I really like Coach O, but losing to ND and UCLA is about the worst thing any Trojan fan could stomach. I think he has done a marvelous job under the circumstances, but if he wants to stay, he will work for someone else. I like Jack Del Rio (an All American at SC), but he has no recruiting experience. Whoever comes in needs at least 3 years...maybe 4 to get back to where we should be, because of the Scholorship limit in effect thru 2015.

Fight ON

Strong Rumor: Steve Sarkisian has been offered the USC Head Coaching job.

Team meeting scheduled for 2:30 today.

Strong Rumor: Steve Sarkisian has been offered the USC Head Coaching job.

Read that. Has lots of history with the Trojans.

According to the sport sheets, he interviewed for the job. They did not mention that he had been offered the job.

Guess time will tell.

Update:

Sed he signed.

Team meeting this afternoon.

Strong Rumor: Steve Sarkisian has been offered the USC Head Coaching job

Announced on the USC athletic department website. He is the new coach.Speculation is he will bring a lot of his staff with him.

Apparently Coach Orgeron was offered top asst, and said no. Not too happy with AD Pat Hayden and he resigned effectively immediately. Looks like the Offensive Coord will coach any bowl game.

Maybe Washington can hire Orgeron.

I definately think he was screwed. He did a great job given what was handed to him. Doubt if anyone in the country could have done better.I wish him well.

Not a big fan of Sark, but not keeping Orgeron on the staff will hurt big time.

NO better recruiter and motivator of his players (that will be a short term problem for Sark, at least) - that had been the plan, wonder if we'll know what really happened in the final FTF discussion with him - doubt we will?

I've always had mixed emotions about USC, but liked O a lot.

Somebody will hire Orgeron pronto, IMHO.

Archived