SASS Wire Forum

10,000 Civil War re-enactors at Gettysburg!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/10150071/Ten-thousand-people-take-part-in-re-enactment-of-Battle-of-Gettysburg.html

Of course, for the 150th Anniversary (1-3 July 2013) I expected some re-enactments, but Wow!, 10,000 re-enactors.

Wish I could be a spectator.

Loved going to the Gettysburg battlefield.

Only 10,000? Had about 26,000 there for the 145th.

But I have heard that there was some sort of politics in the group, and that there are/were/will be 2 different reenactments. That might have led to lower numbers.

It was quite a sight, 65 guns on the CSA gun line, and actual, honest to gawd REGIMENTS marching past. Blocks of 500 men moving in line, firing together.

BLOODY HELL! That photo of the gun line, the guy either swabbing or worming the gun. Way the hell out in front, looks to have his body in front of the bore, has his thumbs TOWARDS the gun while using the implement. He is an accident waiting to happen.

The picture of the Confederate cavalryman on his horse, with pistol at the ready is fantastic! The utter confidence on the trooper's face contrasts with the fear clearly seen on the horse's face. Great photo!

I leave with 23 members of our unit tomorrow driving to Gettysburg from Texas, 10 more members will join us there. We will be participating in the second reeactment that runs July 4th through July 7th, due to staffing a program at Summer Camp we could not make the first event that the video and photos are from. It will take two days to get there and two days to get home and we will tour the visitors center, museum and battle field prior to setting up camp on the 3rd. Our unit is the 4th U.S. Cavalry dismounted also known as Boy Scout Venture Crew 1872. We also do living history Indian Wars 1872-1874 as the 4th US Cav here in North Central Texas.

I used to do the re-enacting thing back in the 70s-80s. Too old now. It was great fun.

94i3.jpg

I used to do the re-enacting thing back in the 70s-80s. Too old now. It was great fun.

You're not too old, Bob. Just change your branch color - put on good, honest, artillery red and be an officer. Then you don't even have to shout, just tell your Sar-Major or 1st Sgt. and they yell for you. You just stand and look important.

You're not too old, Bob. Just change your branch color - put on good, honest, artillery red and be an officer. Then you don't even have to shout, just tell your Sar-Major or 1st Sgt. and they yell for you. You just stand and look important.

If I can't charge the breastworks and give em cold steel, I don't want to play. Huzzah! :D

I am surprised the President did not make a trip to such a historic anniversary event.

Wait, I forgot he's Kenyan.

He played it safe...he wasn't sure if the North would have joined the South this time...

My friend from Tennessee is heading up tomorrow to serve with Burrough's Battery. I was supposed to go but events got in the way. Should be a great event.

BTW, to the author of the article with the cool photos, the bugle call is "Reveille". "Revelry" is a word meaning "boisterous festivity".

We've got a SASS Regulator, Desert Dawg, serving as a Louie in a Confederate artillery battery at Gettysburg. His unit commander, Gary Wear, is the subject of the last picture in Vulfie's first linked article.

Too cool!

I am fortunate to be able to go Civil War relic hunting in the Culpeper, VA area twice a year. It is quite a feeling to recover a belt buckle, button, dropped three ringer and other relics that have been in the ground for 150 years. Looking at the size of those bullets, it is hard to imagine getting hit with one of those and surviving.

Our PCN state cable channel is showing live and taped versions of the Battlefield tours
all week. Looks like I won’t get much done here

Archived