SASS Wire Forum

Unknown People in the News

Badlands Beady

So, who are the Kardashians, Snookie, Honey Boo-Boo, and a few others I don't recall at the moment? What have they done, what do they do, and why should I care? I seem to see their names everywhere but never in any context that tells me anything. I did hear something about the Kardashians once that almost got me interested enough to look them up: apparently, a meteor is due to hit the earth this December and wipe them out.

Short of the Apocalypse, how can I tell if any of them are having an effect on my life?

Products of the informational age, Badlands.

When tv has over a hundred channels running 365 days a year 24 hours a day, it takes a lot of "stuff" to fill the airways. There are companies that pay a lot of money to keep these advertising venues open. So they have to come up with something to fill them.

Back in the day, we would get something like 20 minutes of entertainment for every thirty minutes of air time.

We had three major channels and the shows were mostly half hour products with prime time going to an hour.

Compare that to what they give you today. We get 20 minutes of advertising for each ten minutes of entertainment, such as it is. Prime time is even worse. You get 20 minutes of entertainment for each 60 minute segment.

The reality shows were designed to fill the gap between commercials.

But you are correct, why should I care who is kicked off some island that I have never been to, or

have no desire to visit.

... Compare that to what they give you today. We get 20 minutes of advertising for each ten minutes of entertainment, such as it is. Prime time is even worse. You get 20 minutes of entertainment for each 60 minute segment. ...

Sure wish folks would make better commercials. :rolleyes:

Sure wish folks would make better commercials. :rolleyes:

That would be a great help also.

There a few that are clever and entertaining, but those that are get run so much that they lose their appeal.

The others are as bad as the regular programs and witless and stupid.

Most are geared to the younger, dumbed down audience. Those with a modicum of intelligence are not watching TV anyway, they are out there, burning up their yout.

I save myself a LOT of aggravation by very seldom watching TV and making a conscious effort to NOT give a damn about most of the people on TV. It's been ages since I've seen a commercial...and it's been absolutely wonderful.

Now if I could keep idiots form disturbing me with mindless phone messages...........!

Products of the informational age, Badlands.

When tv has over a hundred channels running 365 days a year 24 hours a day, it takes a lot of "stuff" to fill the airways. There are companies that pay a lot of money to keep these advertising venues open. So they have to come up with something to fill them.

Back in the day, we would get something like 20 minutes of entertainment for every thirty minutes of air time.

We had three major channels and the shows were mostly half hour products with prime time going to an hour.

Compare that to what they give you today. We get 20 minutes of advertising for each ten minutes of entertainment, such as it is. Prime time is even worse. You get 20 minutes of entertainment for each 60 minute segment.

The reality shows were designed to fill the gap between commercials.

But you are correct, why should I care who is kicked off some island that I have never been to, or

have no desire to visit.

Badger I beg to differ with you but it's still about the same entertainment vs. commercials as it always was. It's just the commercials are waaaay more annoying than ever!

Rye

Badger I beg to differ with you but it's still about the same entertainment vs. commercials as it always was. It's just the commercials are waaaay more annoying than ever!

Rye

+1 Can I hear an "Amen" brothers??!! :blink:

They are people that don't do anything while making a complete A#% of their self and make alot of money doing it!

Had to add abit Curley, and copied and pasted the best I knew how.

So, who are the Kardashians, Snookie, Honey Boo-Boo, and a few others I don't recall at the moment? What have they done, what do they do, and why should I care? I seem to see their names everywhere but never in any context that tells me anything. I did hear something about the Kardashians once that almost got me interested enough to look them up: apparently, a meteor is due to hit the earth this December and wipe them out.

Short of the Apocalypse, how can I tell if any of them are having an effect on my life?

Reality and tv are mutually exclusive. These train wrecks are popular cause they justify bad behavior. Gold mine there!

Gents, (and Lady)

Speakin' strickly fer meself

I do have to say

That,

That Kim Kardasian

has a very lovely kaboos!!!!!!! :o

Reality and tv are mutually exclusive. These train wrecks are popular cause they justify bad behavior. Gold mine there!

Snookie say she wanted her own start on da "Walk of Fame", what ever da heck dat is.

I have too words fer her.......................HELL NO ! !

Gents, (and Lady)

I do have to say

That,

That Kim Kardasian

.... and that's all she's got ... <_<

Gents, (and Lady)

I do have to say

That,

That Kim Kardasian

I've seen her picture on the sides of trucks. Makes getting stuck on the Long Island Expressway a bit more pleasant. Never saw the show.

That's cause it takes the whole side of a truck to show her picture!! :o:lol:

You know what, boys and girls? We're missing a hell of an opportunity here. We need a "reality show" starring a whole bunch of US (maybe all of US) doing outrageous (every day for US) things.

Comedy, drama, mystery, good vs evil, fashion, ethics, satire, love, pathos, phobos, deimos, animal acts, sucrose, recipes, home-makingtips, crafts, hygiene and health tips, lonely hearts advice, you name it. We could have it all with a humongous cast of characters (and ain't we got bunch of characters!!!), and endless stories to tell.

Imagine the big names that would be clamoring to be on guests the show with US. Consider the traction we'd get from nay-sayers who would line up to condemn US.

Think what we could do if we split 10 or 20 million bucks amongst US.

WHO'S WITH ME!!!

You know what, boys and girls? We're missing a hell of an opportunity here. We need a "reality show" starring a whole bunch of US (maybe all of US) doing outrageous (every day for US) things.

Comedy, drama, mystery, good vs evil, fashion, ethics, satire, love, pathos, phobos, deimos, animal acts, sucrose, recipes, home-makingtips, crafts, hygiene and health tips, lonely hearts advice, you name it. We could have it all with a humongous cast of characters (and ain't we got bunch of characters!!!), and endless stories to tell.

Imagine the big names that would be clamoring to be on guests the show with US. Consider the traction we'd get from nay-sayers who would line up to condemn US.

WHO'S WITH ME!!!

He!! Forty, I'm in. I've been making laugh at me for years I might as well get something out of it!

WHO'S WITH ME!!!

Well, I'll agree with the part about we're a bunch of characters....ain't that the truth!! But don't most of us also have at least a teeny tiny bit of self-respect? That ain't likely to get us very good ratings...... :huh::unsure:

WHO'S WITH ME!!!

I'm interested .....will this involve Jerry Springer ... ? :huh:

He!! Forty, I'm in. I've been making laugh at me for years I might as well get something out of it!

That's my thinking, too.

Well, I'll agree with the part about we're a bunch of characters....ain't that the truth!! But don't most of us also have at least a teeny tiny bit of self-respect? That ain't likely to get us very good ratings...... :huh::unsure:

I'm too damn old for teeny tiny self-respect. It's been replaced great big gobs of self respect, a lot of selfishness and a massive ego.

I'm interested .....will this involve Jerry Springer ... ? :huh:

Who?

I dunno. Are you gonna do the nude scene?

Not me. That's why we'll have stunt doubles.

Will I have to appear on Oprah?

Is Oprah still on?

Can I wear my Elmer Fudd hunting coat when I make appearances?

Will young women fawn over me? :blink: Forget that one.

Do I have to hunt alligators and arm wrestle with those that do?

These are important questions.

"Reality TeeVee is MUUUUCH cheaper to produce than quality drama shows. There ARE quite a few teevee dramas that are worth the 42 minutes to watch them (Always on DVR- never "live"!!) Justified, Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels, Person of Interest, and Last Resort; just to name a few on basic cable and broadcast. HBO and Showtime have some VERY GOOD stuff, too!

Although they are more expensive to produce, the good dramas have value (in their own ways). Most are simply good story telling.

The only redeeming quality the "Reality" shows have (IMHO) is similar to listening to the blues. If you listen to the blues, you HEAR about folks that are worse off than you, so you feel better about your won situation. If you watch the reality crap you SEE folks that are worse off than you (no matter how much they get paid), so you feel better about your won situation.

I am so glad the DVR has become so pervasive and reliable! Makes recording, watching, and skipping the ads so much easier! About the only "live" tv I watch anymore is the occasional sports competition.

To answer Badland's original post - NO those people (should) have NO EFFECT on your life. None at all.

(Unless they are ous society's apocalyptic "canaries in the cultural coalmine"...hmmm. If so, we are ALL doomed. Bring on the Zombie Apocalypse!)

FWIW...YMMV.

SOso

WHO'S WITH ME!!!

Now your talking! We need a camera and a cable TV station! :lol:

I've got plenty of self-respect.:D I've actually got enough to rent some out, for the right amount of money.:blink:

I'm too damn old for teeny tiny self-respect. It's been replaced great big gobs of self respect, a lot of selfishness and a massive ego.

Ok, you have great gobs, I have teeny tiny, but at least both of us have some! Most of the life forms on those shows don't have ANY.... :wacko:

NO WAY CALICO !

Self respect ?

Nope....I'm happy bein' in my low down, high smellin' shootin straight , in da gutter self !

Who's wif me ? !

Archived