SASS Wire Forum

sass ready sxs shotgun

Hello on the wire,

I am in search for a reliable cowboy ready sxs 12 gauage. I have been told that I will need to get one that a good cowboy gunsmith has tuned. I also have been informed that a stoeger is a poor choice, that for a low end I should look at the Baikal and then move up to SKB or better yet a Browning. also some say to go with a two trigger with a trigger swap job, and others say a single trigger with the manual reset conversion.

Also I need some information on reliable gunsmiths and a way to contactthem to do the action work on one of these shotguns.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thank You

Col. Tuscarora

SASS #29154

I have both the Stoeger and Baikal. I bought the Stoeger stock, and did some work to it myself to make it more useable. It will get the job done, if you aren't trying to be really fast. After about a year, I bought a well-used, fully slicked Baikal.

If I were starting over, I would buy a slicked Baikal. My wife still prefers the Stoeger though; go figure?? :huh:

Hello on the wire,

I am in search for a reliable cowboy ready sxs 12 gauage. I have been told that I will need to get one that a good cowboy gunsmith has tuned. I also have been informed that a stoeger is a poor choice, that for a low end I should look at the Baikal and then move up to SKB or better yet a Browning. also some say to go with a two trigger with a trigger swap job, and others say a single trigger with the manual reset conversion.

Also I need some information on reliable gunsmiths and a way to contactthem to do the action work on one of these shotguns.

Thank You

Col. Tuscarora

SASS #29154

I see where you are with the North Alabama Regulators. I'd bet you that Buck D Law or Lawman Mark or one of the other good pards there would let you shoot theirs to see what they shoot like. Its helpful to have actual hands on experience with the one you are going to pay hard cash for.

Now, I'd steer clear of Quigley or Lickskillet Charlie or Blue Wolf...those cowboys are just plain trouble :)

Hello on the wire,

Thank You

Col. Tuscarora

SASS #29154

Take every bit of advice you've been given so far and throw it out the window, it's based on other people's OPINION of what's right for THEM. Knowing that, go to as many matches as you can before making a decision and try other folk's shotguns to see which one works best for YOU. While I agree it's a good idea to start with one that's been tuned and slicked by a good 'smith, that may not be right for you. Maybe you'd be just as happy shooing one right out of the box. If that's the case, the extra $$$ spent on a race ready gun would be wasted.

Then, after you've tried out all the others, get yourself a Johnny Meadows SKB single trigger with the mechanical trigger kit installed. ;)

My personal choice would be a Bakail already slicked up by Gunslinger, @ Gunslinger, Inc.

++++++ Gunslinger is one of the best. His prices are pretty good too.

My personal choice would be a Bakail already slicked up by Gunslinger, @ Gunslinger, Inc.

Another +1

He does a great job on these.

As far as single or double trigger. I PERFER double trigger.

Just that much less to go wrong. And takes no time to get use to, and is just as fast

or faster, than a single trigger gun.

And on the entry level guns like this. The less that can go wrong the better.

Of course the SKB or the BSS might be better. But for the money?? Hard to beat the Baikal from Gunslinger.

As far as swapping triggers. Would depend on if you are right handed or not.

And agian. It does not take long at all to get use to the double triggers. And they

are just as fast or faster.

I bought a Browning BSS from OL#4, it's been modified to 20" w/a slimmed fore end and screw in chokes. It will shuck any shell ribbed (bargain Fed/Win) from Wall Mart or smooth Rem STS etc.

You might contact him to see what he has to offer.

I know he has a couple of them that are race-ready and are available.

Boothill

If possible shoot the different options.

I bought a Baikal double trigger and sent it off to Gunslinger and am tickled with the results. I specifically wanted the double trigger as that's what my TTN is so I'm used to it, and in my mind anyway there is less to go wrong with a double trigger setup.

I've heard good things about the BSS and SKB but you'll need deeper pockets to get one from what I understand.

I agree with Philly Slim. Whether you go with the Baikal or SKB, Johnny is right there at the big matches and is easy to find. Cody broke a pistol the day we left for EOT. Johnny was ready for it and had it running in minutes. We have three SKBs with mechanical triggers by Johnny and all feel confident. All are reliable and fast.

Since there is a lot of talk about SKB’s slicking them up, I want to put in a yeha for Goatneck Clem out of Texas: His Site

I love mine and he was one great cowboy to work with!

Irish Rambler

+1. I have two Stoegers ole Fred made silk purses out of. I see he is now doing Model 12s and 1911s so he is going to be getting more of my money.

He don't do Baikals tho but keep asking. Maybe he will relent.

Johnny Meadows for an SKB for my first choice. However if that's too much money for now the Baikail is the way I would go. Johnny and Gunslinger both do great work on them. The last I heard Gunslinger is not doing any single trigger Baikails though. On a Baikail I prefer a reversed double trigger. That being said, the advice above was correct that you should go try what works best for you if that's available to you. As far as a Stoeger goes.... No thank you.

Colt

+1. I have two Stoegers ole Fred made silk purses out of. I see he is now doing Model 12s and 1911s so he is going to be getting more of my money.

He don't do Baikals tho but keep asking. Maybe he will relent.

I noticed that this morning when I went to copy the link to his site. I have my fathers old Model 12 and was wondering about getting it set up for Wild Bunch. I was very glad to see that Fred is working on them. As soon as I can afford to send mine done, you can bet on where I am going to send it!

Irish Rambler

Does anyone have his contact info? I am also in the need of a shotgun.

Gunslinger Inc.

Ovilla

TX

Robert Sanders

972-617-6511

Amazing what you can find in the Affiliated Merchants list at the SASSNET home page.

Speaking of buying a an already slicked Baikal, I noticed an Evil Roy ad in the Chronicle selling tuned Baikals for a decent price. Anybody have any insight on these?

I have a Baikal I got from Evil Roy, it's a really nice SXS.

LL'

I have a Baikal I got from Evil Roy, it's a really nice SXS. Nate Kiowa Jones does the work for Gene and it's high quality.

LL'

LL - I sent you a PM

[/buckshot Frank, on 10 August 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

Speaking of buying a an already slicked Baikal, I noticed an Evil Roy ad in the Chronicle selling tuned Baikals for a decent price. Anybody have any insight on these?

I have a Baikal I got from Evil Roy, it's a really nice SXS. Nate Kiowa Jones does the work for Gene and it's high quality.

LL'quote]

Sorry, but this is incorrect information on who does these shotguns. El Mulo

Got my Baikal from Johnny Meadows. $630 to the front door. Keeps `em in stock, ready to ship. My pockets weren`t deep enough for SKB or Browning. For me, theres something about cuttin up and grindin on such fine firearms. I prefer that be done on cheaper, yet reliable ones! To each his own!

I shot a double trigger Stoegar for several years with no problem, reversed the triggers a couple of years ago and that made it a little faster. Didn't think I could get use to a single trigger. I found a SKB for a good price and sent it to Roughneck Rod for and action job and mechanical trigger. It was hard to beleive how nice it was when I got it back. I don't think you could go wrong with an SKB from Rod.

Randy

Sorry, but this is incorrect information on who does these shotguns. El Mulo

Griner Gunworks based out of Farmington, NM. (I think) tunes the guns that Evil Roy sells. Ken Griner is a great guy and an excellent gunsmith, he did the work on my main match 97 and it is exquisite.

Brim

Got my Baikal from Johnny Meadows. $630 to the front door. Keeps `em in stock, ready to ship. My pockets weren`t deep enough for SKB or Browning. For me, theres something about cuttin up and grindin on such fine firearms. I prefer that be done on cheaper, yet reliable ones! To each his own!

Two thoughts:

1) This game is won with the shotgun.

2) None of these are ever going to be collectible in our lifetimes or our children or grandchildrens or great grandchildrens' lifetimes.

afterthought:

3) Life is too short to shoot a boat paddle shotgun.

Col. Falcon, I just got a Baikal from Johnny Meadows; it is FANTASTIC! The shells fall right in and shuck right out! It has cromed lined bores, the triggers reversed,hold open feature etc. I just love this shotgun! His work is the best I've seen and he had it in stock! All I had to do was order! You'll not be dissappointed and it's 100% race ready! Hope this helps and good shooting! Mad Dog McGee

Two thoughts:

1) This game is won with the shotgun.

2) None of these are ever going to be collectible in our lifetimes or our children or grandchildrens or great grandchildrens' lifetimes.

afterthought:

3) Life is too short to shoot a boat paddle shotgun.

So your sayin he should take the money he'd spend on a fancy double and buy 3 good 97s?

Archived