SASS Wire Forum

Ariat Terrain boot?

Blastmaster

Yes, there only two categories that have boot and hat requirements...B-Western and Classic Cowboy. All other categories can go barefoot, Mex dress with sandals, or leather shoes/boots.......no athletic shoes, no ball caps. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Looks like a "lugged" sole of some sort.

Calling PWB.........Calling PWB...... :lol:

LG

Look again. Not one lug on that thing.

Although this is getting real close to a brown athletic shoe.

There are no lugs.

Looks like a "lugged" sole of some sort.

Calling PWB.........Calling PWB...... :lol:

LG

Lugged sole is only mentioned for B-Western and Classic Cowboy. Good Luck :)

" non-grip enhancing (i.e. “NO Lug”) soles"

From the Shooter's Handbook:

OUTLAWED: All types of athletic shoes or combat boots, no matter the material from which they are constructed.

This is the rule I would think disqualifies the shoes.

PWB, forgive me my trespasses. :rolleyes:

OUTLAWED: All types of athletic shoes or combat boots, no matter the material from which they are constructed.

This is absolutely the correct call. Unfortunately it is never, ever, not ever not once EVER made.... did I say never? Well, I meant "NEVER"... as in no one has ever called this on ANYONE in the history of SASS on earth... PERIOD... are ya gettin' it yet?

What's more I'll bet all the lead you can eat that if you did call it the MD would overturn it. Same as Justin's with tassels in the Classic category and Earthwalkers in BWestern.

Before ya get your blowtorch out... I'm not sure why it's even important... as in WHO CARES?

But, if you are gonna have rules that aren't enforced then I guess this is as good a place as any to start....from the ground up.

This is absolutely the correct call. Unfortunately it is never, ever, not ever not once EVER made.... did I say never? Well, I meant "NEVER"... as in no one has ever called this on ANYONE in the history of SASS on earth... PERIOD... are ya gettin' it yet?

What's more I'll bet all the lead you can eat that if you did call it the MD would overturn it. Same as Justin's with tassels in the Classic category and Earthwalkers in BWestern.

Before ya get your blowtorch out... I'm not sure why it's even important... as in WHO CARES?

But, if you are gonna have rules that aren't enforced then I guess this is as good a place as any to start....from the ground up.

Not legal, just decriminalized.

I have a pair of these boots that I take to multi-day shoots for working in and putsing arounds, However I do not shoot in them.

Brim

Lugged sole is only mentioned for B-Western and Classic Cowboy. Good Luck :)

" non-grip enhancing (i.e. “NO Lug”) soles"

Ya need to look again at the picture of that sole.....

You say that is "non-grip enhancing" :rolleyes:

I've seen less pattern on rain tires :lol:

LG

LG

Does not say they have to be slick. Just no prip enhancing lugs.

Which this does not have.

I guess you think anything beside slick is grip enhancing (ie) lug.

But to me it is still a colored tennis shoe. Which is what I don't like about it.

In my mind it would not be legal. But would have to hear from Palewolf on it. Before I would call it on someone.

And someone without foot problems???? Pushing it if you ask me.

What?? :huh: Why would these be disqualified, they are not athletic shoes or combat boots. There were more than just cowboys, there were bankers, lawyers, bartenders, sodbusters, store clerk, indian chiefs...etc...etc. and all kinds of different footwear. You can wear shoes, boots, or go barefoot if you like. We go through this about four times a year, and leather shoes or work boots are very much legal. Even in the old handbook it used to reference a start up costume as a pair of jeans, denim shirt, and leather work boots. Untill I found the Roper Kilties, shoes (oxfrods, captoes) is all I ever wore. Good Luck :)

Roper Kilties

"Same as Justin's with tassels in the Classic category and Earthwalkers in BWestern. ... as in WHO CARES?"

LG

No, What I said was " non-grip enhancing (i.e. NO Lug) soles" only applies to B-Western and Classic Cowboy. The "lugged" "Vibram" part was removed from outlawed items several years ago.....again except for B-Western and Classic Cowboy Good Luck :)

I would not wear them for shooting. They just don't have the profile of any shoe or boot used in our time period - even including B Western.

They are essentially a tennis shoe or sneaker profile on the side.

Ariat (and others) make some very comfortable shoes/boots that look more like normal things worn back in the day, so such footwear as you show is not needed for folks with normal (or near normal :D ) feet.

Good Luck :)

Roper Kilties

"Same as Justin's with tassels in the Classic category and Earthwalkers in BWestern. ... as in WHO CARES?"

The "rubberized" toe guard above sole elevation, the upswept heal bothers me. Those two items look atheletic to me. I have no problem with sole design or construction.

I personally have no issuses with the Roper Kilties as seen on the site state here.

I would have no issues with someone with foot/medical conditons.

Brother King,,,, some day you may be MD and something like this is brought to your attention for you to make the call. Everyone is looking at you for guidance and direction and enforcing the rules fairly. Just because a dozen MD before you made the correct/incorrect call, would you continue to make a bad call just because the dozen people ahead of you did? Read the post about the unrulely shooter that bullied the officials concerning a live round on carrier.

Continue on and thanks to all that has replied so far.

Still waiting for the jury (PWB) to read the verdic.

Just asking.

Not that my opinion matters but, in my opinion they are not athletic shoes. What type of athletic event would one be participating in while wearing those??

They sure aren't combat boots either.

No lugs.

Sure they don't look Western but ..... :rolleyes:

Now, perhaps the rule should have used e.g instead of i.e. ;)

Hmmm...

I'm not sure :unsure: where that shoe fits with the following from page 1 of the Shooter's Handbook, "The truly unique aspect of Cowboy Action Shooting™ is the requirement placed on authentic period or western screen dress. Each participant is required to adopt a shooting alias appropriate to a character or profession of the late 19th century, or a Hollywood western star, and develop a costume accordingly." Or the following from page 2 of the SHB, "Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series."

If they are okay for general use (by those who do not need accomodations), these two statememts should be removed from the SHB.

That said, I sure understand foot issues (I have a Morton's Neuroma). Yet I keep trying to find appropriate shoes to wear and I've not yet decided to resort to this type of shoe. If I felt I needed them, I would clear it with the MD before attending a match.

We have three 80+ shooters locally with feet and/or walking issues. None of them wear this type of shoe.

Regards,

Allie Mo :ph34r:

Not that my opinion matters but, in my opinion they are not athletic shoes. What type of athletic event would one be participating in while wearing those??

No lugs.

I don't know. You change that color to white.

And it looks pretty darn close to a high top basketball shoe I have.

Think those Roper Kilties is about as far as we should go in this direction.

And think those would be great if you had foot problems.

But these things are just brown high top tennis shoes.

Got foot problems and have to have them or not shoot. OK.

But if not???? :( Pushing if you ask me.

But will wait to see what Palewolf says on it.

Brother King,

I think the Wild Bunch made a decision at an EOT several years ago. If I recall correctly a former world champion had feet issues and wanted to wear a shoe similiar to that and it was ruled it was illegal. My memory ain't what it was once, though. Maybe someone else remembers it.

Blue Wolf

What about Chukka desert boots with/without crepe soles? Suede outers?

They look less like athletic shoes, more like 19th century footwear.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/Mens-clarks-bushacre-2-sand-suede-p_id214735?adtrack=tpart

I wish this rule was simpler.

No lugs.

I agree, if they are disqualified it will not be because of the lugs, but the rubber material betwen the soles and the shank. Just about as western as Earthwalkers in B-Western, but they are allowed. Good Luck :)

http://www.onlineshoes.com/Mens-clarks-bushacre-2-sand-suede-p_id214735?adtrack=tpart

Some Chukka look almost exactly like the ankle high rough out worn in the Civil War era. I think the rule is simple enough, alota folks need semi modern footwear to be able shoot and stay on their feet all day, as long as it's leather it usually within the rules. Unless it's B=Western or Classic Cowboy I don't worry to much about it. Mosy folks costumes make up for any foot fault that I've seen, don't spend alota time looking at folks feet anyhow. ;) Good Luck :)

I have been at matches (more than one) where footwear got someone DQd, started a fight and/or led to a discussion that led to changing to another pair of shoes.

Maybe, with medical issues, this boot would fly. But at a shoot where I am Match Director, if you don't have medical issues, we'll ask you to wear something other than this, which is (as noted above) a brown tennis shoe (or hiking boot, at best).

I don't even think this is a close call.

No lugs.

I've never saw an athletic shoe like this on any athlete on tv! They sure arnt combat boots. I'd look once an say whatever because I say tha same for most lace ups I see. I now wear lace ups because of arther an I haven't said much bout it either. If ye ain't shootin in one of two shoe cat, I say let er rip. I'd say tha same even if ole Dang it Dan wuz a werein em.

RRR

RRR

Brother King,,,, some day you may be MD and something like this is brought to your attention for you to make the call. Everyone is looking at you for guidance and direction and enforcing the rules fairly. Just because a dozen MD before you made the correct/incorrect call, would you continue to make a bad call just because the dozen people ahead of you did? Read the post about the unrulely shooter that bullied the officials concerning a live round on carrier.

In the words of Mr. T..."PITY DA PO FOOL" who would ask me to be MD. Let's be clear about that first: I'm just a natural hardass when it comes to the rules.(something about being raised by a lifer E8). For example, when Snakebite first chose to enforce leather rules at the CA State Match, I said "HOOOOORAH!" It was about time in my opinion. Man, did he take a flaming or what? :o

In Clint's words, "A man's got to know his limitations." and that's mine. Been there in sporting clays, got the tshirt and don't ever never ever need another one.

But since ya axed me da qweshhon: To me, if there's a question at all about the style shown, it's only the color...period.... end of controversy...kiltie or no kiltie that's a pair of athletic shoes. I for one am a bit tired of seeing brown and black athletic shoes being worn all the way to EOT under the guise that the color makes them compliant. In fact, arguing further, to me if you can see molded rubber higher than the sole then it's an athletic shoe and not appropriate under the banner rule for our sport.

Now, try calling it...I guarantee you'll be the one with egg on your face. :blush: Where's Snakebite when we need him? Probably still smarting from the "leather wars". ;)

In the words of Mr. T..."PITY DA PO FOOL" who would ask me to be MD. Let's be clear about that first: I'm just a natural hardass when it comes to the rules.(something about being raised by a lifer E8). For example, when Snakebite first chose to enforce leather rules at the CA State Match, I said "HOOOOORAH!" It was about time in my opinion. Man, did he take a flaming or what? :o

In Clint's words, "A man's got to know his limitations."

But since ya axed me da qweshhon: To me, if there's a question at all about the style shown, it's only the color...period.... end of controversy...kiltie or no kiltie that's a pair of athletic shoes. I for one am a bit tired of seeing brown and black athletic shoes being worn all the way to EOT under the guise that the color makes them compliant. In fact, arguing further, to me if you can see molded rubber higher than the sole then it's an athletic shoe and not appropriate under the banner rule for our sport.

Now, try calling it...I guarantee you'll be the one with egg on your face. :blush: Where's Snakebite when we need him? Probably still smarting from the "leather wars". ;)

How bout this un?

http://www.carolinashoe.com/Product?stockNo=CA2520

RRR :)

Times are a changin! I know I been tryin ta buy work boots, they an gloves are going tha way of tha dino sore!

In Clint's words, "A man's got to know his limitations." and that's mine. Been there in sporting clays, got the tshirt and don't ever never ever need another one.

Match Dirctors call trumps everyone at the match. ;) You may not be asked to be MD again, but by golly, ya had yer day in the spotlight.... praised by many and boooooed by few. :blush: Probably be talked about more after the match that the Top Cowboy/girl. :lol:

As Deuse mentioned, if you don't like it, then change it....... or something like that. Even if you are the lonely RO and you feel it is wrong, then make the call. If you are overruled, then at least you have taken it as far as you can and not fall into the pile behind the herd.

Take care and see ya BK

Are the Ariat 'Terrain' boot as seen below SASS Legal?

Shooter has no medical issues.

http://www.onlinesho...7?adtrack=tpart

I suppose they might be legal. ...But only if you are also shooting a Henry Big Boy and Ruger Old Army's in the "Back To The Future" category.:P

Hmmmm, can we stay with Ariat Terrian boot for this thread?

So, what is 'your' opinion Mr. Match Director? Legal?? or illegal? :mellow:

Thank you

How bout this un?

http://www.carolinashoe.com/Product?stockNo=CA2520

RRR :)

Times are a changin! I know I been tryin ta buy work boots, they an gloves are going tha way of tha dino sore!

SEE THAR! Them is athlete's shoes for sure. Bet they'll even give you athlete's foot. Sheeshhhh....RRRRRRRR.... I don't even know what to call those. Kinda like those cowboy top flip flops... you just know it's wrong.

HEY! What's never been heard in history? "HEY, Cowboy, them are sure some nice Croc's you got on."

Sorta waiting for Birkenstocks to show up on some Classic Cowboy at the awards banquet. Guess I'll have to amend that "rubber over the sole unless they ain't tie shoes"... or some such...

Like I said, "Try... just try... to call it." :lol:

SEE THAR! Them is athlete's shoes for sure. Bet they'll even give you athlete's foot. Sheeshhhh....RRRRRRRR.... I don't even know what to call those. Kinda like those cowboy top flip flops... you just know it's wrong.

HEY! What's never been heard in history? "HEY, Cowboy, them are sure some nice Croc's you got on."

Sorta waiting for Birkenstocks to show up on some Classic Cowboy at the awards banquet. Guess I'll have to amend that "rubber over the sole unless they ain't tie shoes"... or some such...

Like I said, "Try... just try... to call it." :lol:

LOVE ye man!! :)

RRR

In addition to what Allie quoted from the SHB in post #16...

You’ll cover a lot of ground in the Terrain ankle boot from Ariat. Equipped with a spur rest, this is a performance boot designed for trail riding and long hours in the saddle. The full grain leather and Cordura® nylon upper is extremely durable, and your feet will remain dry and comfortable with the moisture-wicking lining and cushioned EVA midsole. A lace closure adjusts for the perfect fit. The Duratread™ rubber outsole is designed to perform in a wide range of conditions. Advance Torque Stability (ATS®) Technology supports the foot, promoting good posture and reducing fatigue, in case you spend as much time walking as your horse does.
ARIAT product description

REF: SHB p.24

REF: RO1 p.26

APPLY AS NECESSARY.

might have to get a pair...they look comfortable..and they make them in 13EE.

Here is an alternative that should be comfortable- It's and Ariat- and looks similar to a "period" townie, While not a stickler for dress I like to at least be close

http://www.bootbarn.com/Ariat-Women%27s-Heritage-III-Paddock-Boots/1014502,default,pd.html?green=E6A3D6C0-D534-5451-B0E3-744449698EA6

The Missus loves hers B):D

If a person has foot problems they can wear whatever is necessary for comfort as long as it loosely complies with the rules. There are boots/shoes for those people that come close. Ariat makes a number of correct boots with running shoe footbeds. The pair of boots pictured don't even come close to being acceptable for someone without any issues. Yes, if I was a MD I would back a posse marshall who made a call against these shoes.

Archived