SASS Wire Forum

Why was Chester never a Deputy on Gunsmoke?

I've always wondered why Chester was never Deputized, even when Matt asked him to come along,help, or when Matt went out of town. Yet after Chester left, Matt frequently Deputized people, and Festus became his Deputy. Chester was always indicated as his helper, friend. Matt many times asked Chester to take and lock-up a prisoner, yet never Deputized. There are also several episodes were Matt indicates when the mail is delivered by Chester if his paycheck is there, never Chester's. So apparently, and was hinted several times, Matt payed Chester out of his pay.

In case anyone wonders, this is the official website to answer the question, Was Chester ever a Deputy? MT

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=was%20chester%20ever%20a%20deputy%20on%20gunsmoke&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CGoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunsmokenet.com%2FGunsmokeTGAW%2FMarks-Stuff%2FGunsmoke%2Fchester-tr.htm&ei=eF3XT8vNFYaE8QTN-ZG9Aw&usg=AFQjCNGW7-UYr5N7IYMGRtzFIJcmIWr4vQ

He was a consultant. ;)

Charlie, Chester was a cat and Matt Dillon Makes reloaders. :lol:

Chester was a loveable character, was good-hearted and always meant well..But about the only thing he could do right was make coffee..It's sometimes like Matt only tolerated him because he was his friend..Mebbe Matt figgered if he deputized him it might get him kilt! :lol:

What I've wondered about was why Chester so rarely carried a gun, even if there was a showdown situation developing..And if he had a gun at all, it would be a rifle..I'm not sure if he ever carried a pistola.. :huh:

Of course if I could only have one or the other, I would take a rifle over a pistola meself.. ;)

Chester was a loveable character, was good-hearted and always meant well..But about the only thing he could do right was make coffee..It's sometimes like Matt only tolerated him because he was his friend..Mebbe Matt figgered if he deputized him it might get him kilt! :lol:

What I've wondered about was why Chester so rarely carried a gun, even if there was a showdown situation developing..And if he had a gun at all, it would be a rifle..I'm not sure if he ever carried a pistola.. :huh:

Of course if I could only have one or the other, I would take a rifle over a pistola meself.. ;)

Ah! Chester and his coffee. There are so many takes on this in different episodes, but the best one I remember is when Doc comes into the office and Chester asks him if he's like a cup of coffee, and Doc ask him how old the grounds are. Chester replies and tells Doc the ground are only 3 days old but he had added a fresh teaspoon to the grounds that morning.

I also enjoyed his rope tricks with the knotted end, flipping it into a knot.

Chester was a lovable sidekick, and also had an eye for the pretty women who came to town. MT

I think Chester was a little PTSD from the Civil War.

A bigger mystery is why Matt never kissed Ms Kitty...much less anything else. :blush: That is unless Matthew, uh maybe, uh, had a problem. ;)

Maybe they took care of that...and a number of et ceteras...during the 167 hours a week that they weren't on the screen. :P

A bigger mystery is why Matt never kissed Ms Kitty...much less anything else. :blush: That is unless Matthew, uh maybe, uh, had a problem. ;)

I think you are wrong there pard. Especially in the pre gunsmoke 30 minute Matt Dillon episodes they were a couple.

It happened during the commercials!

Rye

I remember watching an episode of Gunsmoke as a kid, in which Matt and Chester ambushed some bad guys and just flat out executed them. As I recall, 4 or 5 outlaws posing as indians massacred some settlers. Matt figured out where they were headed and he and Chester waited for these guys at their hideout. Knowing they were outnumbered, Chester asked, "What are we going to do, Mr. Dillon?" Matt replied, "We're gonna kill 'em, Chester." And they did. And Chester used his rifle.

It was really very refreshing to see a good guy not have to wait for the bad guy to draw first.

Do any of you who have the Gunsmoke DVD sets know the name of that episode? I would like to watch it again.

He couldn't pass the P.O.W.E.R Test........

Archived