SASS Wire Forum

Remembering Stages As Read

Sage Creek Gus  SASS #64320

At our last cowboy breakfast one cowboy told of a medical study he had heard about. Testing has shown that for people who have a hard time remembering things that if they will take their right hand and grab their left ear lobe with the thumb facing forward and take their left hand and grab their right ear lobe with the thumb facing forward and do three or four deep knee bends while breathing out on the way down and breathing in on thier way up their memory will improve.

Considering how many cowboy shooters can't remember how the stage goes five seconds after it has been read to the posse I've suggested we have all participants perform this exercise immediately before we read a stage.

Sage Creek Gus

Howdy

Does it actually say anyplace that we are supposed to remember it? Is not the job of the RO to 'safely assist the shooter through the stage instructions'? What's wrong with crib notes written on my palm?

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I'm not talking about remembering the line, I'm talking about remembering anything about the whole stage.

SCG

very embarrasing, especially if its you who wrote the stages

I'm not talking about remembering the line, I'm talking about remembering anything about the whole stage.

SCG

If folks are having such a hard time remembering that it makes you wonder why....perhaps it's not the rememberin' that's the problem.

Remember, remember we don't need no remember !!!!!!!!!!

Oh come on guys ...... you got to be kidding me.......you'll don't know this............

Memory isn't the problem.........the problem is........um.....what was the question again....???? :P

MMM

I appreciate the humorous posts here, but on a serious note, the ability to learn the sequence, shoot it and then promptly forget it so you're ready of the next stage - is a skill. It takes practice. It was one of the hardest things I had to learn when I started CAS. There are several tricks you can use, but in the end you just have to remember. The more you do it, the better you get. WW

Da one ta Here ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "Leavings" on da Northern Plains....

In da Northwest territories of Alberta in da Domminion of Canada ...

Jabez Cowboy

I guess I'm lucky, remembering stages hasn't been a problem for me. In four years I can remember only one P. But for others it is more of a challenge. But even with their Ps they still beat me. :D

That's about as much of a COWBOY image as I can conger up. I'm thinkin' tough guy image. Can you let go of yer ears ta grab sumpin' & hep yersef up? :P

CR

Everybody get occasional brain fade, but, it should not be very often.

There are "remembering exercises". The ones I saw have nothing to do with breathing and deep knee bends. Its all about focus and committing a "story" in your mind that you re-tell on the spot. Alzheimer disease aside, you got to keep your brain active and keep using it, so you don't get brain lazy with old age.

One can lighten up on the booze.

Go forth and take up country western dancing. Its fun, healthy and you practice remembering the steps in a fist full of country western line dances or a couple dances. Same thing, except you don't forgetting the dance steps.

There are probably other games outside of SASS that have similar memory skills to keep us fit.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

It's also embarrasing if you wrote the stage and get a procedural on it.

SCG

I havent managed that (yet) but I have ro'ed folks through a particularily difficult stage only to Procedural it myself when its my turn

... take their right hand and grab their left ear lobe with the thumb facing forward and take their left hand and grab their right ear lobe with the thumb facing forward and do three or four deep knee bends while breathing out on the way down and breathing in on thier way up...

Did you mean to post this in the "stage preparations", hair flipping, holster tweaking, hat straightening thread?

Olen :)

Archived