SASS Wire Forum

Recipes.. and odd tastes.. lol

Deja Vous

I do not like syrup.. but I love my french toast only if it is really italian bread and covered with Butter, Peanut butter an a =hint of jelly.. lol... As a kid I bet I ate enough PB&J for 5 people. But my best breakfast is a egg and bacon one or omelet with tons of garlic involved.. lol and feta cheese.. I love to cook, and making strong flavors to enjoy is fun. So, the weekend make me miss having people to cook for. So, I can pretend on here.. lol.

So, what do you look forward to on a weekend breakfast?

My favorite weekend breakfast is a granola bar eaten at a match!

My typical breakfast during the week is a tub of yogurt, cherry fruit on the bottom.

On the weekend, if I'm not shooting I might not eat breakfast, might have yogurt, or might fix some heuvos Davos. Scrambled eggs, onion, mushrooms and cheese, topped with salsa if there is any in the house. Maybe a couple of pieces of toast with butter, or butter and cinnamon sugar.

Haven't had the time lately, but home made buttermilk biscuits, crispy potatoes O'Brien, apple wood smoked bacon and eggs fried in bacon grease. Oh, and mayhaw jelly and Kerrygold butter for the biscuits. And berries, melons.

Oh, man.. obrien... isn't taht with onions and peppers? I have to tell ya... I pick out the taters and eat the other stuff first.. lol.. But the bacon sounds wonderful... yum.. lol

Late here in Jawja. Night.

GN Whiskeys.. you are the best... hugs.. Deja

You already know how I am gonna answer that:

sourdough cakes, whipped butter, homemade maple syrup, orange juice and the sunday paper...................In bed.

curley

In bed?? You know Phyllis must be working her fingers to the bone to please ya.. lol.... Fine.. gold finder .. you are worth it.. lol Deja..

I do not like syrup.. but I love my french toast only if it is really italian bread and covered with Butter, Peanut butter an a =hint of jelly.. lol...

Now you do know that you cant do this With out a dab o Honey ---- and if ya got it ... a bit of Honey Comb spread real thin on er ...emmmm emmm emm

In bed?? You know Phyllis must be working her fingers to the bone to please ya.. lol.... Fine.. gold finder .. you are worth it.. lol Deja..

Ya sure...GramaPhyllis is layin in bed cuttin the zzzzzz's while I makes the cakse and syrup...

hehe

and gold is way WAY down today...buy it if ya can

curley

There is no single "breakfast" for me. All depends on my mood. Might be fresh out of the oven cornbread slathered with butter and honey (or molasses) and lots of coffee. Or a heap of scrambled eggs (hard scramble, not the runny soft scramble) along with ham, sausage, and/or bacon. Some days it's just coffee, sweet and light.

At reenactments, after the first pot of coffee is brewing, toss the lid from the dutch oven upside down on the coals, mix up equal parts of corn meal and self rising flour and add enough hot water (gives a better rise but you need to work quickly) to make a batter., grease up the lid and cook up my cakes on it. If we are doing real good, maybe use eggs and buttermilk instead of water. And for "festive" add in some allspice. If there are leftover cakes, let them cool, wrap them in a cloth and they keep right well in the haversack all day.

99% of the time breakfast is a bowl of Frosted MiniWheats, followed by a piece of toast with butter, honey and cinnamon.

I've been a cold cereal eater ever since I was old enough to pour the milk myself. Never cared much for whole boneless chickens (eggs). :)

Now that you mention recipes:

I was reading a recipe:

butter

shallots

red wine

beef broth

salt

black powder

whoa, what was that?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That sounds like something from a Napoleonic mess. Plenty of accounts of them using some powder to add savor to their food.

Would not be my first choice though.

Two eggs, teaspoon of water, teaspoon of milk, a couple of shakes of McCormick's dry ground mustard. I whip these all together in my super-dooper Silver Bullet mixer thingy.

Onion, garlic, a couple of teaspoons of left-over Mexican style corn, mushrooms, green bell pepper, slice of sharp cheddar cheese, slice of provalone or Jarlsburg swiss cheese, mushrooms, two or three slices bacon (cook it almost done first) cut into 1/2" chunks. Mix it together in a bowl before you add it to the egg.

Get about a quarter stick of butter melted in a pan and scramble the whole thing together.

Salt and pepper to taste and top with heated salsa.

Side this pile with MORE BACON!!!, toast, orange marmalade (or any other favorite spread. My grandson like cranberry jelly.), coffee, and orange juice or V-8 with Tabasco. Country biscuits and thick sausage gravy work well, too.

With a breakfast like this wars are won, civilizations are changed, and worlds are conquered. Starts an average day off pretty well, too.

Here you go kiddies, Breakfast for a king.

START OFF WITH AN ASSORTMENT OF FRUITS, MANGO, PINEAPPLE, GRAPES, CHERRIES AND ORANGE

WEDGES

FOLLOW UP WITH SOME GRANOLA WITH FAT FREE MILK.

THEN WHOLE WHEAT TOAST WITH TOFU AND JELLY.

MINT GREEN TEA FOR A WASHDOWN.

OR

HOT BACON WITH SCRAMBLED EGGS, ON WARM BISCUITS

AND SAUSAGE GRAVY OVER THE TOP.

FRIED IN BACON FAT HASH BROWN TATERS SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE.

HOT COFFEE AS A WASHDOWN

A QUICK BLOOD PRESSURE CHECK AND PERHAPS A SHORT TRIP TO THE ER. :)

OK, here it is Hooligan Quiche:

1 dozen eggs.

1 lb mild cheddar cheese

1 lb bacon

1 medium onion

1 can spam.

Break the eggs and scramble into a large bowl.

Fry the bacon crisp and crumble it into the eggs

Chop the spam into 1/4 inch squares, fry until crisp, add to eggs and bacon.

Chop the onion and add to egg/bacon/spam bowl.

spread the mix on a large, hot buttered griddle.

chop the cheese and sprinkle over the mix on the griddle. flip with a spatula.

serve on buttered wheat tortillers, Roll 'em if you wish. Everybody adds their own hot sauce or whatever.

Feeds 6- 10 hungry cowboys. To make less, divide the ingredients evenly - Half dozen eggs, half pound bacon, half can of spam etc.

might feed fewer, depends on the cowboys' appetite. Fix enough so they don't fight over it. (Applies to kids, too.)

On multi-day shoots ya cain't beat.....

sausage rolled in bacon and wrapped in a buttermilk pancake...

A COWBOY burrito,

I'm hungry now,

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

...breakfast...

...large cat head biscuits

...real butter

...real honey from our hives

...2 eggs over hard

...3 pieces of thick sliced hickory smoked bacon

...a couple of pancakes hot off the griddle

...real maple syrup

...a small glass of orange juice

...a hot cup of cafe mocha

...and the time to enjoy it.

Deja,

Try some REAL maple syrup, not that grocery store corn syrup crap. Ya might just change your mind (and throw rocks at Aunt Jemimah or Log Cabin.)

JHC

So Capt. where would somebody in California get real maple syrup ???

Well, even our little grocery store here in Bugtussle (aka Clyde, Tx) has several different brands. 'Course it's a bit more expen$ive than the cheap crap, but well worth it. Surely someplace as kosmopolitan as Californy should have it. ;) If things are that bad there I'd be happy to send ya some. 'Course, there's always this marvelous thing called the internet where you can order durn near anything.

JHC

Heck, you can get it at Trader Joes, Olivers Market, Pacific Market, and Whole Foods. Personally, I prefer the Canadian grade B syrups. The higher priced, lighter grade A stuff doesn't have near the richness of flavor.

All this was cooked by my Dad, outside on an open fire.............

Fryed bear bacon..

Fry some eggs in the bear grease..

fry some fry bread golden brown

Smothered in homemade butter and sourwood honey !!

I sure do miss Dad's cookin' !!

Now that you mention recipes:

I was reading a recipe:

butter

shallots

red wine

beef broth

salt

black powder

whoa, what was that?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Topping for my rare steak.. and do you deliver? lol

Ya sure...GramaPhyllis is layin in bed cuttin the zzzzzz's while I makes the cakse and syrup...

hehe

and gold is way WAY down today...buy it if ya can

curley

Curleys.. gold goes up and down.. but the friendships forged from looking for gold last a life time.... That is the part I like... I am not much on stuff and money..

99% of the time breakfast is a bowl of Frosted MiniWheats, followed by a piece of toast with butter, honey and cinnamon.

I've been a cold cereal eater ever since I was old enough to pour the milk myself. Never cared much for whole boneless chickens (eggs). :)

My love of eggs goes way back.. course I like the whites best.. lol... As a child I use to put the yolks in my jean pockets and feed the dog outside.. lol... Now I do use yolks and I can eat them in fried eggs, but never in a boiled eggs.. what part of dry is good? lol... But eggs and bacon are my favortie.. I just happen to toss out a few yolks when I make omlets for a pal and add in the crisper drawer .. lol

Two eggs, teaspoon of water, teaspoon of milk, a couple of shakes of McCormick's dry ground mustard. I whip these all together in my super-dooper Silver Bullet mixer thingy.

Onion, garlic, a couple of teaspoons of left-over Mexican style corn, mushrooms, green bell pepper, slice of sharp cheddar cheese, slice of provalone or Jarlsburg swiss cheese, mushrooms, two or three slices bacon (cook it almost done first) cut into 1/2" chunks. Mix it together in a bowl before you add it to the egg.

Get about a quarter stick of butter melted in a pan and scramble the whole thing together.

Salt and pepper to taste and top with heated salsa.

Side this pile with MORE BACON!!!, toast, orange marmalade (or any other favorite spread. My grandson like cranberry jelly.), coffee, and orange juice or V-8 with Tabasco. Country biscuits and thick sausage gravy work well, too.

With a breakfast like this wars are won, civilizations are changed, and worlds are conquered. Starts an average day off pretty well, too.

Fortys.. BACON and THINGERS .. and you have me .. lol

Here you go kiddies, Breakfast for a king.

START OFF WITH AN ASSORTMENT OF FRUITS, MANGO, PINEAPPLE, GRAPES, CHERRIES AND ORANGE

WEDGES

FOLLOW UP WITH SOME GRANOLA WITH FAT FREE MILK.

THEN WHOLE WHEAT TOAST WITH TOFU AND JELLY.

MINT GREEN TEA FOR A WASHDOWN.

OR

HOT BACON WITH SCRAMBLED EGGS, ON WARM BISCUITS

AND SAUSAGE GRAVY OVER THE TOP.

FRIED IN BACON FAT HASH BROWN TATERS SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE.

HOT COFFEE AS A WASHDOWN

A QUICK BLOOD PRESSURE CHECK AND PERHAPS A SHORT TRIP TO THE ER. :)

Is tofu a relative to Velveta? lol

On multi-day shoots ya cain't beat.....

sausage rolled in bacon and wrapped in a buttermilk pancake...

A COWBOY burrito,

I'm hungry now,

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Ah.. gotta make those for you some morning...

Uh.. okay to fix that now ... lol... I make breakfast for him when we reload or shoot ... we do not wake up in the .. well you know.. geesh...

...breakfast...

...large cat head biscuits

...real butter

...real honey from our hives

...2 eggs over hard

...3 pieces of thick sliced hickory smoked bacon

...a couple of pancakes hot off the griddle

...real maple syrup

...a small glass of orange juice

...a hot cup of cafe mocha

...and the time to enjoy it.

Please explain cats head.. my visual here is a bit scarey.. lol The neighbors cat just ran off.. lol

Deja,

Try some REAL maple syrup, not that grocery store corn syrup crap. Ya might just change your mind (and throw rocks at Aunt Jemimah or Log Cabin.)

JHC

Nope.. I have had it.. its a sweet thing.. As a kid we had cupcakes, and cake, and pie.. and there I was out eating green apples off the tree.. lol... I like sour best I guess. And I am a small portion eater, so I eat my favorite stuff first which is meat and veggies.. so it leaves little for the other stuff before I am full....

From a maple plant? lol... just kidding././

Archived