SASS Wire Forum

Lub or No Lub

Sagerider

At a match yesterday, I shot three stages with my freshly cleaned 73 without concern. At the loading table for the fourth stage, the carrier would not completely lower for loading. I could push the carrier down but the carrier would not operate freely. A Pard loaned me his rifle and the match was completed. That evening, I removed the mechanism and found nothing but powder residue causing the difficulty in operation. I shoot a 250 grain bullet over almost 5 grains of Clays which is close to a maximum load and have always experienced a normal amount of blow-back. My question is: should the carrier sides and receiver sides be lubricated after cleaning? I have always left them "dry" in the past without any difficulty in operation. But, this time 30 rounds caused problems. Your advice, please. Should these surfaces be lubricated or left clean and dry? And if lub'ed, with what? Any thoughts about what cleaning could have been attempted at the match without disassembly? Thanks, in advance, for the advice. Sagerider

You don't mention what caliber for the rifle. I'm betting it's a .45. First, a .45 has a generous amount of blow-by, because a straight wall .45 case doesn't expand enough to seal the chamber, coupled with Uberti producing rifles with "generous" chamber dimensions. Your stuck with a certain amount of blow-by that will foul the Carrier Block and make it sticky.

Reciprocating parts need lube. Some council others to run the '73 and '66 Carrier Blocks dry. Doesn't work well. The Carrier Block should be lightly lubed and any light gun oil or Break Free will work well. I personally recommend Break Free.

This problem also surfaces when a stock rifle is equipped with light lever side spring without any other action work. To run well with light side springs, the rifles need to be modified for "positive slam down" which keeps the front face of the lever in contact with Carrier Block Arm throughout it's movement.

Trail Boss powder doesn't like petroleum based lube just as a insight.

Back to the original question. YES. Lubricate the Carrier Block. If your have fouling problems during the match (you will with a .45) carry a small pocket bottle of Break Free with you. A little dab will do ya.

Coffinmaker

I believe It was Jim Bowie at C&I that said not to lube the carrier block or the receiver mortise is rides in. I used to do that, found that the powder fouling and lube eventually made things gummy. After following his advice I've had no more problems with gummy carrier blocks.

I shoot Trailboss mostly, the 45LC/250 I load are with Bullseye which is a bit cleaner than TB. I use MPro7 oil and RemOil exclusively.

I probably overlube both my Uberti 73 (including the carrier), Stoeger and my Rugers (right after I clean them which is after every match). But after I've worked the actions a while and then let them sit and percolate I come back and give them a good wipe down. That's been my approach to gun maintenance since way before I started shooting cowboy. I'm not saying you're wrong Don, but I've found that gumminess only happens as a result of too much lube in conjunction with too little cleaning, really cold weather can complicate things too. I've also found that a failure to adequately lubricate your firearms results in an inordinate amount of wear on some moving parts and I am to poor to wear out my stuff early.

I always bring lube to matches just to be safe, but I haven't had to use any yet.

So far that's worked well for me.

Maruder,

Trail Boss gets real gummy with any petroleum based lube. For those shooting Trail Boss I'd go with Break Free or BOESHIELD T-9. Nice thing about Freak Free is it's both cleaning solvent and lubricant. As it dries, Boeshield leaves behind a lubricating film that doesn't attract dust or particulate matter. The only downer to Boeshield is cost. Once thoroughly cleaned, I also recommend Boeshield for the inside of the magazine tube. It was originally developed as a lubricant/rust preventative by Boeing for aircraft manufacture. Very good stuff.

Coffinmaker

Depends on the caliber and load. I have put thousands of rounds through 73's without a hitch since I started to run my carriers "dry". Thats what works for me and have suffered no ill effects.

The 45 Colt is going to have blow back with your loads.The product that I found to work best is EEZOX. It is a synthetic oil that dries to a dry film and will not cause a gunk type mess as a regular oil will.It is sold in both liquid and spray. You should run this rifle with only this type of lube that gives the appearance of being dry.

At a match yesterday, I shot three stages with my freshly cleaned 73 without concern. At the loading table for the fourth stage, the carrier would not completely lower for loading. I could push the carrier down but the carrier would not operate freely. A Pard loaned me his rifle and the match was completed. That evening, I removed the mechanism and found nothing but powder residue causing the difficulty in operation. I shoot a 250 grain bullet over almost 5 grains of Clays which is close to a maximum load and have always experienced a normal amount of blow-back. My question is: should the carrier sides and receiver sides be lubricated after cleaning? I have always left them "dry" in the past without any difficulty in operation. But, this time 30 rounds caused problems. Your advice, please. Should these surfaces be lubricated or left clean and dry? And if lub'ed, with what? Any thoughts about what cleaning could have been attempted at the match without disassembly? Thanks, in advance, for the advice. Sagerider

High temps and humidity probably negated your "dry" mortise and carrier block with the blow-by. I shoot BP, and except in the summer when temps and humidity are high, I have no "gummy" issues.

The 45 Colt is going to have blow back with your loads.The product that I found to work best is EEZOX. It is a synthetic oil that dries to a dry film and will not cause a gunk type mess as a regular oil will.It is sold in both liquid and spray. You should run this rifle with only this type of lube that gives the appearance of being dry.

Another vote for eezox, and yes Jim Bowie who knows a little something about '73s, says leave 'em dry, and since eezox evaporates to a dry film it seems to work great and not gunk up..........Doc

P.S. it also keeps the rust out of my magazine tube

I agree totally with Coffinmaker's comments. I would use only a very light lub/cleaner such as he recommended. Also... I can't begin to tell you how many problems I've seen when guy's change out the spring on the right side of the 73 rifle. NOBODY is going to convince me that these light springs in that position are a benifit. If you use a heavy spring there, like the gun is designed for, the carrier will snap into place and stay there both up and down. Yes.. I'm well aware of the positive contact mod to the lever, and over the years have done that mod many times... but you will NEVER see me put one of those light springs on the right side of a 73... it's just a problem waiting to happen.

Snakebite

A squirt of moosemilk(1 part Ballistol to 10 parts water) couldn't hurt.

Archived