SASS Wire Forum

Gun Cart Regulations

Jgbeerman

Afternoon Yall-

I looked through the shooters hand book and could not find anything pertaining to gun carts. At the few matches I have been to, most of the carts hold the guns vertically, although I have seen a few that do hold them horizontally. Is there a rule in regards to this or is it just personal preference?

I really like the style of these boxes: http://musketboxes.homestead.com/double_box.html and would like to use those images as the base for my plans. However, if horizontal storage is frowned upon, I can always figure something else out.

Thanks

Horizontal storage is fine but every time you replace/retrieve a long gun you have to worry about sweeping someone with the muzzle. A great majority of shooters use vertical storage for the ease of use.

I think you can get that look either way, I've seen some vertical carts with racks and boxes that remind me of those.

The topic has been debated here several times, though probably not recently enough to be in the archives. As I recall, some said that there are ranges that do not allow horizontal long guns in racks or muzzle down carriage.

As you noted, the vast majority of folks use a cart that carries long guns vertically with muzzles up. I"m betting you'll be able to design something with the look you want that falls along those lines.

Hope that helps.

Grizz

As GD said there are some places that don't like horizontal long guns and more particularly horizontal long gun storage.

The main problem here is that to get a long gun from horizontal storage to the vertical requires that you come dangerously close to crossing someone.

If you are looking for your first gun cart, I would strongly suggest a vertical storage cart for safety reasons.

It is better to err on the side of safety then to actually cross someone with a gun and god forbid a loaded long gun.

The only place in the SASS rules that I find any mention that could be construed as applicable is on item 2 page 22 of the

shooters handbook.

Afternoon Yall-

I looked through the shooters hand book and could not find anything pertaining to gun carts. At the few matches I have been to, most of the carts hold the guns vertically, although I have seen a few that do hold them horizontally. Is there a rule in regards to this or is it just personal preference?

I really like the style of these boxes: http://musketboxes.homestead.com/double_box.html and would like to use those images as the base for my plans. However, if horizontal storage is frowned upon, I can always figure something else out.

Thanks

I built a cart very similar, I used a surplus handheld rocket box.

Lined with 1/4 inch foam and black velvet cloth...holds five long guns.

Mounted it to a golf cart frame...modified to not tilt back so far.

Hung leather bags on the sides for ammo, gear, etc.

My box was a little short for my long barrel double, so I cut notches in the top, leather lined, and let the barrel stick up.

Gave me somewhere to stick the umbrella!!

That door was great for keeping out dust & rain.

Used a shelf to keep the barrels separated with pegs and hold ammo boxes.

Now it's a gun case in the house.

$2 for the box and $5 for the golf cart and I was in business!!

Mine is 8" deep x 12" wide by 46" tall.

It leans back about 15 deg. and the golf wheels fold up and handle folds down...DA DA!!

Go for it!!!!

BH :)

If you want to meet a lot of new folks in a bad atmosphere go ahead with horizontal storage cart. In our many crowded bays it is sometimes almost impossible to remove and replace horizontal stored long guns without sweeping someone and those folks will not be happy.

Up or down, a box like that is gonna be heavy and may be difficult to drag around at some ranges. Sumpin ta think about ;) Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I'm young, I can handle it!

I don't understand ...

Sweeping someone with actions open from a horizontal position is bad.

BUT

Sweeping someone with actions open from a vertcle cart (every time you tilt in back to move it) is acceptable?

The musket box looks pretty cool. I'd use it in an upright fashion however. Some ranges have rules that prohibit horizontally transported firearms, with good reason.

Another reason is that gun carts that have the ability to carry horizontally staged long guns take up a lot of space, both in your vehicle and on the stage. Remember that at a large match, there could be 20 to 25 other gun carts on a width challenged berm.

Like most of the others have said, the vast majority of folks don't like being swept with any gun. Although SASS rules are all about safety..... accidents can, will and do happen. Do yourself a BIG favor and design your gun cart with long guns in the upright position.

Welcome to the World of SASS and to a lesser extent, the Wire.

Cypress Sun

Where do the wheels go? I can not imagine carrying such a heavy box around. Just add up all the weight including ammo, spare ammo, tools, snacks, etc.

I carry it all around now anyway. but wheels could be added to the bottom back end and be dragged around almost like some of that rolling luggage.

Just kicking around some ideas at the moment, have not bought the wood yet.

thanks for all the input, helps me thinkg

Jgbeerman,

While there may not be specific rules written on SASS approved gun carts, there are some clubs that will not allow anything but muzzle up carry of long guns in any cart. There has been lots of discussions on this subject and almost universally, people do not like the practice of horizontal carry. People do not like being swept with gun muzzles, regardless of whether they have open actions of not.

Most other disiplines that use carts / buggys or 4 wheelers to transport their firearms have strictly outlawed the horizontal mode of carrying firearms. It simply isn't well accepted anywhere, and shouldn't be done. To do otherwise will gain much disapproval from other shooters, and you will find it to create an unfriendly atmosphere all to often. Just DON'T DO IT.

RBK

I don't understand ...

Sweeping someone with actions open from a horizontal position is bad.

BUT

Sweeping someone with actions open from a vertcle cart (every time you tilt in back to move it) is acceptable?

I see everyone looking down the barrels of their own guns, and thats okay. I kinda like my cart with 4 wheels so I am not looking down the barrels that I KNOW are clear. I have to admit that I don't like being swept by horizontal staged carts, or any other reason.

I inadvertantly forgot my verticle rack that fits in my cart one Saturday so I quickly rigged up something to handle them horizontaly. For the first state I was sort of ok, but still not liking the way it looked with the barrels of four long guns pointed around and having to watch my pards. But then they were watching me also so they kind of helped by keeping way way out of the way. Next stage I asked a pard to rack my wifes long guns and took mine back to the truck. Took a lot of tension off of everyone. LOL.

They can't be full auto or have over 30 round magazines. Flash supressors and bayonet lugs are allowed, though..... :lol:

Rules:

1st Gun Cart built must weigh in the vicinity of 200 pounds empty and have the capacity of a long bed pick up bed with camper shell.

2nd Gun Cart built must weigh about 100 pounds empty and carry six long guns and 3000 rounds of ammunition.

3rd Gun Cart built can weigh as little as 50 lbs empty, carry 4 long guns and 1000 rounds of ammunition.

4th Gun Cart built can weigh no more than 40 pounds fully loaded, have 20" tires and carry enough ammunition for the current match being shot plus 10 extra rounds for each gun. Loaded means it also has room for a bottle of water and a rain jacket.

Best variation on #4 is a set of canvas saddlebags containing the above ammo, water bottle and rain jacket. This is only practical at ranges that have gun racks for each stage.

Yes, I think all of the above should allow verticle carry.

Rules:

1st Gun Cart built must weigh in the vicinity of 200 pounds empty and have the capacity of a long bed pick up bed with camper shell.

2nd Gun Cart built must weigh about 100 pounds empty and carry six long guns and 3000 rounds of ammunition.

3rd Gun Cart built can weigh as little as 50 lbs empty, carry 4 long guns and 1000 rounds of ammunition.

4th Gun Cart built can weigh no more than 40 pounds fully loaded, have 20" tires and carry enough ammunition for the current match being shot plus 10 extra rounds for each gun. Loaded means it also has room for a bottle of water and a rain jacket.

By the time you get tired of cart #4, you'll probably have figured out it would all have been cheaper and easier to get a Rugged Gear 4-gun cart in the first place. :)

I carry it all around now anyway. but wheels could be added to the bottom back end and be dragged around almost like some of that rolling luggage.

Just kicking around some ideas at the moment, have not bought the wood yet.

thanks for all the input, helps me thinkg

You could put a folding leg on the bottom, kind of like on an easel. Or maybe make a late 1800s style hand truck.

It kind of amazes me how paranoid we can get about how we carry empty guns with open actions in a gun cart, and I say this because five minutes after the match the guns are put in the car or truck actions closed. Then here is where it gets funny, we all repair to the local restaurant sit around a table or in a booth with a pocket pistol in a front pocket sweeping everyone in the place with a LOADED gun and the scary part is a lot of those pocket pistols are striker fired. Anyone else see a little incongruity here?

Rules:

Best variation on #4 is a set of canvas saddlebags containing the above ammo, water bottle and rain jacket. This is only practical at ranges that have gun racks for each stage.

Yes, I think all of the above should allow verticle carry.

Yep.

Seen many new shooters make those big heavy gun carts.

Thinking they look really cool. And what the heck. They are not

THAT HEAVY. :wacko: Or THAT hard to pull around. :blink:

But after awhile. They get real tired to that big heavy thing.

The COOL factor is gone. And they end up like the rest of us. Looking for

easier smaller carts.

Noz, I think you just posted the gun cart making evolution of new SASS shooters.

Yep.

Seen many new shooters make those big heavy gun carts.

Thinking they look really cool. And what the heck. They are not

THAT HEAVY. :wacko: Or THAT hard to pull around. :blink:

But after awhile. They get real tired to that big heavy thing.

The COOL factor is gone. And they end up like the rest of us. Looking for

easier smaller carts.

Since I started shooting I have had seven different carts and except for the easily shipable light Evil Roy cart, my second, (which I still use and/or loan out), all carts have gotten lighter with each new model cart by 15 to 20 percent. My last two being Three wheeled very light carts, one I made. I think I have finally found the ultimate/best, a Rugged Gear 4 long gun deluxe model. I can push it around with all the gear two old fart shooters need over all surfaces with ease. If you think your cart is best, push it up a steep hill in pea gravel a bit and you too will be looking for a light big tired three wheel cart. At many shoots now days, Rugged Gear carts fill up over half the posse.

Since I started shooting I have had seven different carts and except for the easily shipable light Evil Roy cart, my second, (which I still use and/or loan out), all carts have gotten lighter with each new model cart by 15 to 20 percent. My last two being Three wheeled very light carts, one I made. I think I have finally found the ultimate/best, a Rugged Gear 4 long gun deluxe model. I can push it around with all the gear two old fart shooters need over all surfaces with ease. If you think your cart is best, push it up a steep hill in pea gravel a bit and you too will be looking for a light big tired three wheel cart. At many shoots now days, Rugged Gear carts fill up over half the posse.

Ya. I made 4 wood carts. Then got a baby jogger and made a cart out of it. With the wife shootting

also. I ended up finding a twin baby jogger and made a cart out of it. They was much better than the

old wood ones.

But like you. Just a few weeks ago. I got the 4 gun deluxe rugged gear cart.

Have only used it once. But it was the easyest one I have pushed so far. Was just going to

get the regular 4 gun cart. But wife wanted the deluxe. And she normally gets what she wants.

Archived