SASS Wire Forum

Dear Young Professionals,

<rant mode "on">

Young Men, please make sure your necktie is secured with a snug Double Windsor knot. The unbuttoned, loosely tied, asymmetric slop may look good in fashion magazines and on pop stars, but a crisp tie sets you apart from the pop stars and gets you into the world of adulthood.

Young Ladies, please make sure the most prominent feature of your attire is not the bare top half of your boobs hanging out. You can be feminine and pretty yet still dress professionally. It's what sets you apart from being office eye candy and gets you into the world of adulthood.

<rant mode "off">

I don't know if it's the summer weather or what, but I've been in several meetings the past few weeks and was almost embarrassed for the way younger people were dressed. Part of me was irritated, but mostly I was sad that nobody had taken the time to explain to these kids (they weren't behaving like adults yet) that they were only hurting themselves.

Okay, I'm a curmudgeon. Time to get back to work.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<rant mode "on">

Young Men, please make sure your necktie is secured with a snug Double Windsor knot. The unbuttoned, loosely tied, asymmetric slop may look good in fashion magazines and on pop stars, but a crisp tie sets you apart from the pop stars and gets you into the world of adulthood.

Young Ladies, please make sure the most prominent feature of your attire is not the bare top half of your boobs hanging out. You can be feminine and pretty yet still dress professionally. It's what sets you apart from being office eye candy and gets you into the world of adulthood.

<rant mode "off">

I don't know if it's the summer weather or what, but I've been in several meetings the past few weeks and was almost embarrassed for the way younger people were dressed. Part of me was irritated, but mostly I was sad that nobody had taken the time to explain to these kids (they weren't behaving like adults yet) that they were only hurting themselves.

Okay, I'm a curmudgeon. Time to get back to work.

Who do these people work for and who is conducting the meetings that they feel they don't have to declare and enforce a dress code? When I was in business for myself my people dressed properly. When I was employed by someone else I was expected to dress properly and, if in a supervisory position, to enforce the bosses dress code as well. And just for the record, this is also a major aggravation to me, too. My wife's work place has no apparent dress code and she and her boss (the person who should be setting the code, but doesn't) are often the only people in the building that I would consider in "business attire" for a law office.

Sorry fellows. It is a different focus of the young.

Remember back in the 60s when it was often said, 'IF IT FEELS GOOD, DO IT".

Well the rebellion of the youth, which we all went through, says it is better to look cool than to be accepted by your elders. In other words it feels good to be noticed. No matter what I have to do to get noticed. The more

outrageous the better.

At one point in time, it was an accepted fact and somewhere, some place, an older person would pull the chain and make us realize that it was in our own best interest to be accepted in the norms of business, society or what ever. Eventually, most of us came around to accept the norm.

Today is different. The elders are also suffering from the same blindness that hampers the young. They never had the benefit of somebody telling them they looked like dorks and if they did, they didn't care or believe it.

In addition we have the nut jobs in TV and the Movies telling them what is cool and what is not.

Having said that, I am learning how to shoot with my pistols held sideways and I don't bother to aim any more either. My targets have improved a lot. I just make the bullet holes my intended target and I'm good.

Who do these people work for and who is conducting the meetings that they feel they don't have to declare and enforce a dress code? When I was in business for myself my people dressed properly. When I was employed by someone else I was expected to dress properly and, if in a supervisory position, to enforce the bosses dress code as well. And just for the record, this is also a major aggravation to me, too. My wife's work place has no apparent dress code and she and her boss (the person who should be setting the code, but doesn't) are often the only people in the building that I would consider in "business attire" for a law office.

Are you kidding me Forty Rod in a law office the lack of business attire, not doubting you just can't believe it. Like both of you, it pisses me off when I walk in to some place and there is a lack of professionalism.

Many many years ago I worked for an R&D company that contracted to the USAF. I swore that I would never again work for a firm where form was more important than substance. I have not regretted that decision. You can wear your ties and three piece suits if you want if you want but if you're dumber than a sack of hammer you can't hide it behind a title.

Double Windsor is the same as a Full Windsor.

I'm with you on the facial piercings too. A place I used to work had a young co-op student join us for the summer. He had a huge diamond in one ear. A friend of mine took him aside and asked, "Do you see any other man in this office wearing an earring?" He took out the offending stone and actually turned into a good worker.

I understand the importance of substance over form. What I find sad is that young people with sloppy form are giving bad first impressions without anyone taking time to teach them better. When the bad first impression has been made, it takes a lot more substance to dig out of the hole, and it wasn't necessary to be in the hole in the first place.

I had a female student that got a real rude awakening several years ago. She had come to us from another university and had been accepted for an internship via telephone interview with one of our local agencies...sight unseen. During the interview, they had told her that when she had completed her internship, there was a chance she could be hired full time.

At the end of the ten-week internship, they told her that she would not be getting a full time position because her hair was in dredlocks and she had some facial piercings. She was naturally upset and came into my office to complain. "They can't do that, can they?" she asked.

"You bet they can," I replied. "They have an image to maintain with the public and your dredlocks and facial piercings are completely opposite of that image."

"But I have a right to express my individuality!" she protested.

"Yep, you sure do," I smiled, "And they have a right to not hire you." Case closed.

I agree about the substance issue...but also, you don't have a second chance to make a good first impression.

Alas, the generation now coming into power does not see the need for business or formal attire. Hard to watch for us.

Just like in the 1800's they stopped wearing white wigs and hose.

No doubt there was much ballyhooing about the decline of civilization when that happened.

Take a look at old films of ball games almost all the men in the stands were wearing suits and hats.

Remember when people dressed up to get on an airplane?

My mom would never have dreamed of going to the store without heels, white gloves and pearls.

But maybe judging someone's worth by the clothes they wear isn't all that great.

As Walter Cronkite said.... "And that's the way it is".

I understand the importance of substance over form. What I find sad is that young people with sloppy form are giving bad first impressions without anyone taking time to teach them better. When the bad first impression has been made, it takes a lot more substance to dig out of the hole, and it wasn't necessary to be in the hole in the first place.

Absolutely...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Don't even get me started on tatoos and facial piercings.

Gonna look great when they're 80!

Yuck! :angry:

I find stretched out earlobes disgusting. That gets my vote for the stupidest trend.

Oh but they can be so useful :rolleyes:

http://dwellingintheword.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/15-cellphoneholderinear.png

I agree with all of you.

Whether it is "fair" or not, a person's first impression is a lasting one.

That young person under all those piercings and tatooes might be a wonderful, responsible person but they aren't the person you want representing your company.

I teach elementary school. Our principal is very strict about dress code. NO cleavage at all...NONE. No jeans except on Fridays. Capri pants must be closer to the ankle than to the knee (I don't understand this one)

She has even sent me home for showing a hint of cleavage...and once for my skirt being a tad too short.

As embarrassing as that is.... I'm glad we have a dress code. I personally always try to dress "sharp" and set a good example for our students.

However, some of my coworkers have showed that their idea of appropriate dress for work/school is not the same as mine.

The days that they are allowed to wear whatever they chose..... torn jeans, flip flops, very tight tshirts.

Flip flops at work are my pet peeve. They just look sloppy... not professional.

If a teacher expects to be treated with respect they should dress the part.

Young people need to be taught how to dress to make a good impression. They need to understand that whether it is fair or not, people will judge you by the way you look.

They need to be taught to take pride in the way they look.... and in turn be taught to take pride in the job they do.

Rant off....

With all of that said....

Most of the folks reading this will only see me at a shoot. Yes, I sometimes show more than a hint of cleavage.... okay... a lot of cleavage.

I don't dress like that in "real life"... can't because of my job... and wouldn't even to go to the grocery store, we live in a small town...

I won't drink a margarita at a local restaurant either. I don't want my students to have to deal with "their computer teacher drinks alcohol"???

There is a time and a place....

leading a "double life" so to speak?

This is a fantasy game....

and saloon girls show a lot of cleavage and partake of the drinks the cowboys buy them.

SOOOOOOO....

When you see me at a shoot I'm Complicated Lady

and thoroughly enjoying letting my guard down and playing with the cowboys... and cowgirls.

Gonna look great when they're 80!

Yuck! :angry:

My GrandMOTHER had a tatoo on her arm.

By the time I came along it was a nasty green blob.

It kept me from ever wanting one.

I'll just say a Four-in-Hand knot works well for me most of the time. :D

I use that style for my wild rag....it's cowboy IMHO :lol:

Your on the right track DW...

Flip flops at work are my pet peeve.

I had a kid show up on a construction sit to start work in flip flops. When he was told to leave and come back with work boots on he said he didn't own a pair of boot just flip flops.

My GrandMOTHER had a tatoo on her arm.

By the time I came along it was a nasty green blob.

It kept me from ever wanting one.

I knew a young gal years ago who was a volunteer firefighter. She had a cute little red fire engine tatooed on her ankle. As the years rolled by, as years always do, her cute little fire engine turned into a tanker. :lol:

I had a kid show up on a construction sit to start work in flip flops. When he was told to leave and come back with work boots on he said he didn't own a pair of boot just flip flops.

Reminds me of the kid that showed up to work at our carbide endmill grinders shop wearing one of these...

http://www.glamkidz.com/images/IMG_3603_R_300.jpg

Imagine one of those tassels getting caught up in a diamond wheel spinning 30,000 RPM! That would pull his face right into that wheel and it would be.....not pretty

Reminds me of the kid that showed up to work at our carbide endmill grinders shop wearing one of these...

http://www.glamkidz.com/images/IMG_3603_R_300.jpg

Imagine one of those tassels getting caught up in a diamond wheel spinning 30,000 RPM! That would pull his face right into that wheel and it would be.....not pretty

All I can say about that is ouch dam, I have got my fingers with wire wheels before and those heart like hell I could not even imagine getting my fave caught in a diamond wheel

While I agree that many times it's the young adults that don't have the sense to dress for the occasion....

have you been to Walmart lately??

There are some older folks that need to be told "We don't want to see THAT...put more clothes on!"

Some sights are just painful to look at!

Back in '76 or '77, a new manager was being shown around the company, big guy, black, Fred H was being shown round the computer room and was introduced to me. I didn't remember it but he always reminded me that I was wearing a t-shirt and cutoff jeans. He was not my manager but did report to my VP. I was in the computer room because I was working on a communications software and needed simultaneous access to multiple computers and terminals. At the time we were the #7 computer company in the world.

Six years later ('83) when my then project was winding down and I was looking for another project, Fred told me "Please, speak to my people first." I did speak to "his people" and one day his secretary stopped by my office on the way to work to hand me my "offer letter" rather than entrust it to inter-office mail. I was impressed.

Back in '76 or '77, a new manager was being shown around the company, big guy, black, Fred H was being shown round the computer room and was introduced to me. I didn't remember it but he always reminded me that I was wearing a t-shirt and cutoff jeans. He was not my manager but did report to my VP. I was in the computer room because I was working on a communications software and needed simultaneous access to multiple computers and terminals. At the time we were the #7 computer company in the world.

Six years later ('83) when my then project was winding down and I was looking for another project, Fred told me "Please, speak to my people first." I did speak to "his people" and one day his secretary stopped by my office on the way to work to hand me my "offer letter" rather than entrust it to inter-office mail. I was impressed.

So he liked the fact that you were wearing a t-shirt and cutoff jeans or he wanted to hire you inspite of them?

I'm guessing that you had the opportunity to prove yourself after that first initial impression.

So he liked the fact that you were wearing a t-shirt and cutoff jeans or he wanted to hire you inspite of them?

I'm guessing that you had the opportunity to prove yourself after that first initial impression.

I think it was culture shock. They might have mentioned my PhD but I had a reputation for getting things done.

I use that style for my wild rag....it's cowboy IMHO :lol:

Your on the right track DW...

Good to know! Once I have one, I will practice getting it right. I don't think my shemagh would work

I agree with all of you.

Whether it is "fair" or not, a person's first impression is a lasting one.

That young person under all those piercings and tatooes might be a wonderful, responsible person but they aren't the person you want representing your company.

I teach elementary school. Our principal is very strict about dress code. NO cleavage at all...NONE. No jeans except on Fridays. Capri pants must be closer to the ankle than to the knee (I don't understand this one)

She has even sent me home for showing a hint of cleavage...and once for my skirt being a tad too short.

As embarrassing as that is.... I'm glad we have a dress code. I personally always try to dress "sharp" and set a good example for our students.

However, some of my coworkers have showed that their idea of appropriate dress for work/school is not the same as mine.

The days that they are allowed to wear whatever they chose..... torn jeans, flip flops, very tight tshirts.

Flip flops at work are my pet peeve. They just look sloppy... not professional.

If a teacher expects to be treated with respect they should dress the part.

Young people need to be taught how to dress to make a good impression. They need to understand that whether it is fair or not, people will judge you by the way you look.

They need to be taught to take pride in the way they look.... and in turn be taught to take pride in the job they do.

Rant off....

With all of that said....

Most of the folks reading this will only see me at a shoot. Yes, I sometimes show more than a hint of cleavage.... okay... a lot of cleavage.

I don't dress like that in "real life"... can't because of my job... and wouldn't even to go to the grocery store, we live in a small town...

I won't drink a margarita at a local restaurant either. I don't want my students to have to deal with "their computer teacher drinks alcohol"???

There is a time and a place....

leading a "double life" so to speak?

This is a fantasy game....

and saloon girls show a lot of cleavage and partake of the drinks the cowboys buy them.

SOOOOOOO....

When you see me at a shoot I'm Complicated Lady

and thoroughly enjoying letting my guard down and playing with the cowboys... and cowgirls.

Here you are..........Cami Secret.........yes this is an actual product. When I first saw this commercial on tv, I thought it was a gag ad, but it is an actual commercial......a pretty darn funny (and stangely sexy) commercial at that.

cami secret commercial

My, my, my, what will they think of next. :huh::blink:

Here you are..........Cami Secret.........yes this is an actual product. When I first saw this commercial on tv, I thought it was a gag ad, but it is an actual commercial......a pretty darn funny (and stangely sexy) commercial at that.

cami secret commercial

My, my, my, what will they think of next. :huh::blink:

I don't own any of those but I do own lace tanktops in every color... work great!

I do agree the woman in the commercial was showing waaayyy too much cleavage for any job.

At least 6 years of tenure,,,'77 ~ '83 :lol:

I could overlook the attire issues, if only these youngsters could turn out ONE piece of work that is not chock full of misspellings and grammatical errors.

I mean, self-expression is great and all and I don't care if you look like an idiot so long as the customer never sees you. But if I put your work in front of the customer and it makes us ALL look like idiots, you're outta here and quick!

:FlagAm:

Archived